Car Dealers - The Good & The Bad

Man of Honour
OP
Years ago I went out car shopping on a Saturday to buy a car. We were trading in an 18 month old 106 GTI a cracking little thing, but my wife wanted something bigger, so I though I know, Subaru Impreza! :cry:

There was a dealer on the Chester Rd heading into Birmingham around Sutton back then, I seem to recall it was a Toyota dealership with a Subaru side. We walked in and on the podium was a P1 which I spent time nosing around, wife loved the look of it, so thought to myself "I'll do a deal on this". Waiting.....waiting......waiting.....maybe 15 minutes and 1 sales person, dealing with another couple.

After 15 minutes and nothing I did the old "excuse me" as he came to walk past ignoring us and asked if he could find someone to help. His response was simple. Finger in the air "I'm busy, can't you seeeeeeeee, you'll have to wait" with a tut and shake of the head. I walked out and bought a brand new A4 within 2 hours (don't give me the no one in the market for a Scooby would by and A4 as that is how I have rolled for decades. :cool:)

Went back on delivery day, the dealers were almost next door and spoke to the DP about our experience in earshot of the sales person. The P1 was still there and this is more a story of cutting my nose off to spite my face as the P1 would have been so much better but suspect he got a telling off...

Associate
probably had some good experiences, but it's mainly the bad that stick in mind...

local BMW dealer (so sick of the place it's put me off ever having a Beemer again):
1) was after a M135i so did a load of research, had all my options selected, and even had an online price from both Coast2coast cars and a better TRL quote tucked away (but harder for the dealer to corroborate compared with the online, click options and price, quote). Took a while to get a sales person, explained to them that I was after a M135i (and he seemed shocked) and provided all my options, showing I had done research. But, I explained I hadn't driven one, so was after a test drive before signing up - ideally with the ZF auto as I'm used to a manual but loads of people praised the auto that I'd not had before. They wheel around a 120d and tell me to try that, as the M135i is "just like that, just quicker" (I'm not joking)...

After the questionable test drive, in a completely different model to the one I want, I return and suddenly there's a 2nd sales person. He goes through my options and it's suddenly good cop, bad cop - 1 sales guy questioning whether I need the option and the other arguing I need more... I explain I've got my list, just give me their best price to have a think. They say they have "an amazing price that nobody will beat" and do some rubbish writing on a note, folding it, then handing me it to unfold... wtf... this was the standard manufacture discount, and well away from the 2 quotes I had already explained I had. So, showed them the online quote and they go off to chat with the manager and say they will only improve their price if I'm wiling to sign up today (not saying what their better price is) and not letting me demo the model car I'm after... (so I walked away and ordered from TRL, despite it being a 3 hour train trip away, but a fun drive home...)

2) same dealer... 1st service... went in pristine, came to collect and 1 alloy scratched... "there's no way we've done that, there's no raised curbs here..." - no apology, no concern, just a auto response and a tone suggesting I'm trying to blag them... Showed the photos of the wheels from that morning and they begrudgingly "as a 1 off good will gesture" they got it refurbished. still no apology...

3) same dealer... Before all this, my GF bought a used Mini (not from them). All great during test drive and all available paperwork seemed good., but after buying it we got the receipts and old paperwork, one of which suggests some oil leak between the engine and gearbox. It was noticed while it was in warranty and work was done, with this receipt, but then there was a comment on a later MOT that there was still oil misting - so I was unsure it was fixed... So, I pop into this amazing BMW dealer asking if warranty work was started on an issue then would it still be covered for the same issue now it's 2 months out of warranty (and owned by someone else). This seemed to really confuse the girl on the service counter - but she wasn't really listening, as a sales lad had walked past and she was busy waving at him (I'm not joking)... At this time a mechanic from the back walked past and he chirped in about possible causes for the leak, so I started speaking with him, at which point the girl on the service desk stands up and walks out the door the sales lad just went through - and through the slightly frosted glass you could see them flirting away at each other... While the mechanic was saying I need to book the car in to check it - but I couldn't as the girl had just naffed off...

More fun warnings...
When shopping for a Mazda 6MPS I went to about 4 dealers to compare cars. 1 they got the car out from their lot, I had a test drive and it was ok, not great, but not awful. I had a couple more to check out, but could well be back tomorrow, so said that to the dealer and started to walk away - and one of the lads from the garage just pops round the corner for his break, see the MPS and shouts something like "ooo, the Mazda's back out!", grabs the keys and literally slides out of the dealers with all wheels smoking... No idea if the car was cold or warmed up... nowt. So, yup, didn't go back...

Latest "fun" was with a Skoda dealer near Liverpool.
Approved used VRS - before going to see the car they sent an report of the state of the car, listing tyre treads, brake wear etc. Claiming all tyres over 5mm tread and brakes had less than 20% wear, etc...
End up buying the car and all good. Get home the night of buying it and suddenly the powered seats stop moving back - just move forward, more and more forward... shaking/slapping the panel and it comes back to life and I can move them back (either a lose wire, or the rubbish they've coated the inside with to clean it all has shorted something) - speak to the dealer who said that as they're 50 miles away I can just go to the local dealer to get it sorted under warranty. The local place does they health check and identify the seat-fault, but also flag a leak with the cooling pump and the rear brakes need changing as they're a MOT failure due to wear. I end up on speaker phone with the original dealer, while stood in the local dealer and he's slagging them off, claiming they're trying to pull a fast one for easy warranty work - when he realises they can hear he's eventually "happy" to accept their findings and cover the work. I highlight that if the rear brakes are falsely advertised then I want the fronts checking too, and he threatens me on the phone "we will cover the rears, but if you push us for any other work we will refuse to cover anything at all - and it's not false advertising as it was a statement from the service dept and not part of the original sales advert..." - this was the sales manager... Truly Mitchell Skoda in Cheshire, you can do one...

Caporegime
Recently had both an incredibly good and relatively bad experience buying the Wife's 2018 Passat GTE Advance. We'd been looking around for about a month for something to replace the 2015 Yeti with, the main criteria being larger luggage capacity, leather (cloth was getting increasingly hard to get sticky finger mess from a 3-year old out of), no less equipment than the Yeti, and it had to be Petrol/Auto. Having done a lot of ringing round for various cars (namely Seat Ateca, Skoda Karoq, VW Tiguan and BMW Q3) I was getting increasingly disheartened by the condition and spec of most of these for the budget (£17-19k), and those that did seem well specced I never got chance to view because used cars seem to sell in days if not hours at the moment!

I'd started looking beyond SUVs, factoring in estates into the mix, originally looking at F31s and B9 platform A4s, discovering that the Passat GTE Advance was not only in budget and newer, but typically high specced and had the added bonus of the PHEV that seemed to offer the ability for 90% of the wife's travelling to be done on electricity alone. I'd seen a couple at a local car supermarket, and initially the experience was OK, I'd put a £99 refundable deposit on a car in order to secure it for long enough that I could get over to view it. The communication was good and I was around 2 days from the scheduled viewing only to see a higher specced car appear for £150~ more, a quick call to discus the quality of the new vehicle, confirming it was "mint", I moved my deposit from one to the other and that was that. The day of the scheduled viewing came and I trundled down only to find an ex smokers car that stank, it was filthy inside and out, and was literally peppered in scratches and carpark dents, quite a way from the "mint" that was described to me on the phone. In addition the car didn't have the full VW Service History advertised, infact it didn't even have FSH of any kind as it was missing a service. Disheartened I left only to be badgered by calls and voicemails in the following weeks, and as of yet no refund of my deposit.

Anyway, onto the good. I found another car, a bit further away in Derby, but at a main dealer (Parkway Volkswagen), it was a bit pricier which was to be expected given the approved used status of the vehicle, but the 2-year warranty, the additional spec the car had, and the fact it was a year younger made the man-maths stack up in favor of upping the budget £1k~ (I'd have been paying more than this for the VW Insured Warranty - which isn't as comprehensive as the Das Welt Auto warranty, as well as needing to install a reversing camera - a compromise with the wife in return for driving a longer vehicle). The new car had 360-degree view cameras, electric tailgate, rear sun-blinds and a few other options that made the car more appealing).

So as this car was further away, I didn't want a repeat of the "mint" previous car, so I asked if it would be possible to get some "real" pictures of the car, rather than the touched up advert ones. The salesman (Kyle) went out immediately and took a 1080p walk around video of the exterior and interior for me, and made a point of actually highlighting areas of damage (a few stone chips to the leading edge of the bonnet, and a scratch on a wing mirror cap - no big deal), plus 1 point for Kyle already. I sent over a deposit and waited for closer to the proposed pickup date to send over the balance (yes, I paid before physically seeing the car, I did this with my 440i as well). Kyle had matched the car supermarket's offer of trade-in for the Yeti (without seeing the car), which was also nice of him taking my description of the vehicle on face value (point 2 for Kyle).

We're 3 days from collection at this point, the balance had been paid, and I was off to the neonatal unit to finally pick up my wife and premature daughter (born 10 weeks early) to bring them home, I'd stopped off at Sainsbury's en-route as we needed more nappies and "tiny baby" clothes. I had parked, as I always do, a million miles from the entrance, in an empty section of carpark. Returning to the car I could see that some utter ****sack had scraped the front nearside corner and had already scarpered :(. I contacted Kyle (he'd already been talking to me outside of working hours on WhatsApp) with a description and hastily taken photo of the damage, fully expecting to be bent over on the trade in value, only to be told "he'd see what he could do". When I got home I took some additional photos after cleaning up the area as best I could, showing that there was only bumper damage, no deformation, no damage to the headlight or front wing, fired them over to Kyle (at around 8PM!) who responded almost immediately saying he'd send them over to the bodyshop manager and come back to me, but "not to worry". Less than an hour later I'd been told they'd fix it at cost for £150 and that'd be the end of it, I'd owe an extra £150, not too shabby at all considering, and again all of this out of hours on a Friday evening!

Finally collection day comes around and after having a good face to face look around the car I spot that the interior door handle on the driver's door is cracked (couldn't be seen from the angle of the photos or the video) and that I'd ideally want it replacing. Kyle trundles off and gets his manager to agree to buy the part and ship it out to me to save the round trip and I can get it fitted myself without affecting the warranty. Seemingly an acceptable solution to me I agree that's fine, do the necessary paperwork, say my goodbyes I get into the car to realize that whilst it's not been given much fuel, it was at least fully charged, the drive home was uneventful and was 80% electric (which was a new experience for me, one that has made me really think twice about where to go after the 440i).

I get home and plug the car in, only to find that the "granny lead" is a bit... flaky. It sometimes works, sometimes not, and if it doesn't work then a swift smack with my fist or a rubber mallet (the charge cable is encased in rubber to waterproof it) seems to get it to work 100% of the time, but clearly there's a loose contact somewhere within. I fire a message off to Kyle and he says it's not a warranty covered item, but he'd see what he could do. Two days later I get the message that a refurbished charge cable would be sent to me with the trim piece. Great, better than buying my own replacement charge cable.

A few keep in contact messages were exchanged between myself and Kyle over the next week, with him informing me on the status of the trim piece and asking me how the car is/how the wife is getting on with it, which was nice.

Roll around to this morning and Kyle shows up on my doorstep, hand delivering the charger and trim piece. Absolutely A+++ service, I was shocked!

Soldato
I've not had any major ones. As people have said above - the bad is more memorable than the good.

Shortly after getting the C63, I had the aircon re-gassed at a local Halfords autocentre. The guy told me he liked my car, which is always nice. Picking it up and realising it had 2 miles more on the clock than when I dropped it off was annoying though.

When I bought my Alfa GTA back in 2007 it was sold to me by Mangoletsi in Cheshire as absolutely mint - which it was to be fair. The first year service was included, so it went back there the next year for that, and I was handed a list of £3000 worth of work that needed doing to it - so much for mint in their opinion!
I actually took it elsewhere, and found that 90% of their list was fairytale stuff. Suggesting discs needed replacing when they were only halfway through their life, that sort of thing. From memory, one of the suspension elements which they said needed immediate replacement due to excess play was actually replaced 7 years later. (That is, I know it was fine for several more years, can't remember for sure it was 7. Something like that though.)

Soldato
An example of a great experience was Perry's in Blackburn. I was looking for an MX5 and though a decent journey from home, I used Perry's as I have a friend there and we arrived at the dealership for a test drive. Not only did we get given a nice new MX5 we were also provided with a print out of a really good route to follow with some great roads, a booking for lunch and a day to enjoy the car. Needless to say I bought when we came back. Added to that I was trading in an A4 and when we came to collect the car there was an issue as I had the final payment taken out of my account and with that my MX5 deposit. Didn't stop me taking the car that day, "sure we can sort the money out next week", which of course we did. There is good and bad out there.

Good to know, i'm currently considering CX-5's and Blackburn is local to me.

Permabanned
I've not had any major ones. As people have said above - the bad is more memorable than the good.

Shortly after getting the C63, I had the aircon re-gassed at a local Halfords autocentre. The guy told me he liked my car, which is always nice. Picking it up and realising it had 2 miles more on the clock than when I dropped it off was annoying though.

When I bought my Alfa GTA back in 2007 it was sold to me by Mangoletsi in Cheshire as absolutely mint - which it was to be fair. The first year service was included, so it went back there the next year for that, and I was handed a list of £3000 worth of work that needed doing to it - so much for mint in their opinion!
I actually took it elsewhere, and found that 90% of their list was fairytale stuff. Suggesting discs needed replacing when they were only halfway through their life, that sort of thing. From memory, one of the suspension elements which they said needed immediate replacement due to excess play was actually replaced 7 years later. (That is, I know it was fine for several more years, can't remember for sure it was 7. Something like that though.)

Always get a second opinion
It's so hard finding any genuine dealers / garages nowadays.

Soldato
My recent adventures, cheap orange focus st3 popped up on auto trader, phone up, another guy has beat me to the punch, he has first dibs, but come take a look. As I get to dealer I see it pulling out for a test drive, guy came back and bought it. :(

Went to view a tt convertible 2 weeks ago, was the dealers own car, handed me keys, stuck trade plate in and said go for a drive, silly me should have bought it, but it was top of my budget and I dilly dallied :(

Work then got in the way until 2 days ago, on Thursday I headed over to Sheffield, get there and the focus St has 3 flat tyres, onto an audi tt from a dodgy group of guys, no thx, go to see a octavia vrs and the place is closed, at 3pm in afternoon.

Yesterday, bit more local, go to see an st3 and tt which are both at the same dealers. Get there and the St has been parked into the tt's rear bumper, bumpers bulging on both, walked away

Over to Warrington to view an St, guy says I doubt you can afford this, I lol'ed and walked away

Bid on an st2 on ebay last night, didn't win

In my heart I want an orange 3 door st3, I have until August when my Mot runs out, been told not to put my rusty zoom zoom through again lol

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The story I will tell forever, The Tale Of The Lexus Dealer Who ******* Up™.

My dear late, lamented grandfather needed a new car. He'd been living in Canada for decades, owned various North American nameplate cars including spending actual money on an early '90s Buick Riviera :eek: Decides he wants to buy a decent sedan. Likes the look of the then-current Lexus.

Takes himself off down to the dealership in downtown Victoria. Now, he didn't get dressed up in coat and tails for this. He was in comfortable garb, but clean and certainly not cheap 'n' crappy. He was also driving a Chevy Blazer 4x4 at the time, which might not have been concours (it took a broadside from a deer that ran into the road, end result was a couple of paint chips in the drivers door) but was kept clean and well-maintained.

Grandad rocks up. Sales droid looks him up and down.

"The Toyota dealership is over the road."

Grandad walked out, went to the local BMW dealer and bought a 328i. And that's why my grandfather drove BMWs until his passing earlier this year.

Soldato
mixed bag, can be real vultures taking advamntage of people.

i knew a man dying of cancer and they gave him about £11K for his car.

soon after they were trying to sell it fot £16K

really 5K profit

Associate
The story I will tell forever, The Tale Of The Lexus Dealer Who ******* Up™.

My dear late, lamented grandfather needed a new car. He'd been living in Canada for decades, owned various North American nameplate cars including spending actual money on an early '90s Buick Riviera :eek: Decides he wants to buy a decent sedan. Likes the look of the then-current Lexus.

Takes himself off down to the dealership in downtown Victoria. Now, he didn't get dressed up in coat and tails for this. He was in comfortable garb, but clean and certainly not cheap 'n' crappy. He was also driving a Chevy Blazer 4x4 at the time, which might not have been concours (it took a broadside from a deer that ran into the road, end result was a couple of paint chips in the drivers door) but was kept clean and well-maintained.

Grandad rocks up. Sales droid looks him up and down.

"The Toyota dealership is over the road."

Grandad walked out, went to the local BMW dealer and bought a 328i. And that's why my grandfather drove BMWs until his passing earlier this year.

very similar with step father dressed casually looking around the mercedes showroom i guess somewhere around liverpool (as he lived there, well ainsdale) eventually he managed to get a salesman to talk to him and was showing a interest in a s class. to which the salesman looked at him and said you wouldnt be able to afford it and walked off.

step father said the look on the salesmans face was priceless when he walked out of the showroom and climbed into his rolls royce i cant remember the exact model as quite a while ago . i know out of spite he bought a bmw and liked it so much ,he continued to buy them till he died a few years later. he never went into a showroom again, he always bought them over the phone from the same dealer and the always sent a technician to collect and deliver them back when any service/work was needed.

Soldato
On the flip side I had great service at Mercedes when I bought my C180 Coupe at age 23 wearing a Squidward outfit. They said they didn't mind serving me as I'd have 10/15 car purchases left in me, versus an old bloke who has 2 or 3 before he snuffs it.

Associate
I've had a very mixed-bag from Cardiff Sytner. When I had my Mini, superb service from them - 48 hour test drives of various models, no questions asked, no hard sale, stuff fixed for free under warranty that they could probably have pushed back on - Mini Cardiff were absolutely excellent.

BMW Cardiff on the other hand... Went in a couple of weeks ago to see if I could test drive an M135i. Very hot day so I was dressed casually (though still smart enough, we aren't talking chav here). Salesman clearly didn't like the cut of my jib and only after pushing did he let me test drive, after reminding me that 'the cars all have trackers' so 'we can easily trace you if you steal it' and 'can tell if you're doing handbrake turns and ragging it'. I was quite bemused but my wife was furious. Anyways, he changed his tune slightly when I came back and asked what the process would be if I wanted to go ahead and buy one, with cash.

Salesman then did another U-turn when I said I was away for the week and couldn't complete the purchase by the end of the month. He whinged about it not counting against his monthly target and I'd 'have to pay more for the car if I waited'. Anyway, spoke to his business manager, agreed a purchase and car collection for the following Saturday, pending viewing (car I wanted was in Sheffield BMW, needed to be sent down). Huge drama over the next few days, suddenly they went from being able to get the car to Cardiff within two days to hit their month-end target to it being delayed potentially for over a week. Typical 'we've got your deposit so now we just don't care' attitude.

So the terrible attitude towards me at the start of the test drive and then this led me to emailing the Head of Business with a full breakdown of my experience. I was very prepared to get my deposit back and walk away at this point, but they then pulled out all the stops, assigned me a 'more experienced sales manager' who was genuinely excellent - even working to get stuff done and rearrange transporters, etc. on her day off, to get everything sorted for collection on the agreed day.

You wouldn't think it would be so difficult to buy an in-stock car from a premium brand to be delivered on the day that was promised.

Associate
Was looking to buy a Honda when I was 22, I did dress quite scruffy, I'd just bought my first house and had landed a good job out of Uni so had a fair bit of disposable income. Went to the local Honda garage and was having a look around outside, noticed a salesman making his way towards me when suddenly he took a 90 degree turn and went over to speak to an older couple, he obviously assumed that he had more chance with them than me. Immediately left and have never set foot in a honda garage since.

Don
never really had a bad experience when buying a car; only ever really had a couple of great experiences; One from Audi (A5 3l TDI Sportback) and Mercedes (A45). The Mercedes dealer in Shrewsbury was the better of the two, but both were good;

Only real buying story I have is it was my ex Wifes birthday - I had promised to take her into Birmingham to go shopping for a dress; Drove through Wolves as the M6 was chokka. Driving down the duel carriage way I spotted an s2000 in the forecourt - pulled in, test drove it, bought it. Had a guy when I saw signing the paper work come in and enquire about it.

Didn't have enough money left over for the dress, probably one of the reasons she's an ex-wife :D :p

Man of Honour
I never got the 'sales person ignored me so i'll never buy a car from them again' thing, just seems very short sited when you consider the sales people move around dealerships like crazy. If they try and rip you off or mess up your car then fine, but its not like Lexus' board of directors murdered your dog or something....

On another note when we buying my wife's Evoque we cold called Inchcape Kings Lynn to ask about getting a test drive, they booked us in for a day with the car the next weekend with only our name - probably because its not a real 4x4 ;)

Man of Honour
OP
When I wanted a go in the Yaris GR I phone up Stafford Toyota and the bloke put the phone down, drove to Wolverhampton, picked up the test car and brought it back to Stafford for me. hour and bit from speaking I was in the car. He didn't ask what I drive he just asked if I was serious to which I said if I like it I will order. Sadly I did not like it enough to order, but had I then I would have.

Same with the AMG GTR I got bought to my house 2 years back. Was heading over to see the car one Saturday or Sunday (oddly, Wolves again) but thought I would phone first. Car was not there so guy apologised and said let me get it back and bring it over to you, which he did the next day. I didn't buy then.....but......long term n stuff, I bought into the car at that point.

GT3, again, great experience. Phoned up Porsche dealer (Sutton) Monday 10ish. Few questions and 1 hour later car is on my drive, M3 part ex agreed and within 100 yards of the test drive car is bought, but still took an hour.

R8 was same, went to see car A which had been sold that morning. Wait they said, I know and even better one car B, let me have it here tomorrow for you. Arrived, drove, bought.

Good dealers are often predicted on you being serious and little to do with what you drive already. However, there are in my experience many more dealers who just have no idea, but with their churn rates no surprise. Hellish industry in the franchise space I believe. Audi Stafford caused me MASSIVE pain on the finance of my RS4. Somehow they totally cocked up the money and when, 2 months in, no payments were taken I called up and said I have monies for you. What followed what a tail from hell that saw me in Israel on business getting into verbal spats with some Scouse collections agent who would not listen. Bank of Scotland and Audi UK got a proper rocket, I got free warranties. But all down to a terrible finance guy just, well, not idea what.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Perry's were always great with my dad. They used to have a garage in Clitheroe, but they closed that one. They always collected the car from my dads house to service it and always dropped it off. Service was always good and reliable.

I'm from Whalley, it's been a long while since that was open! I remember them being decent for parts when I had my 206 (for which I needed a lot of parts!).

I remember my dad telling me about a colleague who dropped his EK9 off at Honda in Ckitheroe many years ago (when the EK9 was the current Type-R). He was having a few drinks in town and saw his car come passed him bouncing off the rev limiter well after business hours. I believe it was damaged in some way afterwards too. Needless to say he gave them absolute hell and did quite well out it in the end I believe.

Soldato
My Hyundai dealership have always been good, are happy to show me the car, go over exactly what they found and always give the car a good clean unless I am in a rush.

When I was looking around they had the i20 turbo edition and had the red on display. They moved all the other cars so I could test drive it, yes I bought it but I was just idly looking on that day.

Man of Honour
Having dealt with many car dealers, they are a total mixed bag, generally negative. They almost invariably don't know much about their products, and use the same old tragic sales tactics. "I'm on your side, I'll go and ask the manager"

One thing that's evident is that the prestige of the brand is irrelevant, I was dealing with Maserati for example and they were terrifyingly disorganised and clueless.

I'd arranged to test drive a new F Type 380, went to collect it, only to discover they'd 'lost' it and after 20 minutes of searching, still had no idea where it was. Apparently a customer had decided to hang onto it indefinitely and they hadn't noticed... :eek:

Audi almost gave me a customer's car as a courtesy car, and only realised when I queried the various things that were inside the car... absolutely baffling.

When I bought my current car, BMW's retail manager assured me it was 'like new' and met all the strict approved used standards. I arrived to collect it to discover the rear bumper had been resprayed with a rattle can and looked horrendous. I could see from 50 yards away it looked dreadful. It was resolved in the end but they must have noticed it and lied to me, hoping I wouldn't notice.

Oh, and they all desperately try and include the worthless paint protection garbage, even when you've said you don't want it multiple times.

Back
Top Bottom