no power to drive

Associate
Hi,

I used to have an external USB cd drive but it was unreliable and i got sick of unplugging it and plugging it back in so i bought an internal optical drive. all the connections are fine, but no power at all. it shares a cable with the SSD which worked fine so i disconnected the SSD. still no power. i tried different plugs on the SATA cable and the PSU. still nothing. I am totally stumped as to why it wont power up. there are no smells or any signs of it being damaged.

my PSU is a kolink KL-600M and uses PCIe connectors.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Soldato
my PSU is a kolink KL-600M and uses PCIe connectors.
What do you mena by that PCIe connectors?
You can't power drives from PCIe cable, which lacks 5V needed by control electronics of drives.

And that Kolink is garbage with fraudulent model naming.
(it isn't even 500W PSU)

Associate
OP
What do you mena by that PCIe connectors?
You can't power drives from PCIe cable, which lacks 5V needed by control electronics of drives.

And that Kolink is garbage with fraudulent model naming.
(it isn't even 500W PSU)

well all my drives are SATA to 6 pin PCIe cables. and yes i do hate the misleading name of the kolink but even 500w is well beyond what i need. 330w was the draw including the new optical drive.

Soldato
You can't power drives from PCIe power cable with any passive adapter.
It would need active adapter with step down switcher for 5V. (plus 3,3V)

Associate
OP
sorry, im not an expert on this. does this mean my PSU has a step down inside it? i take it this is why my optical drive wont take power?

Soldato
also turns out its not DOA. tried it on friends computer worked fine. im wondering if it just hates my PSU.

It's been seen before. A PSU that ought to have enough for several drives somehow not being able to.

When you say 330W was the draw... what's the complete spec and 330W when doing what exactly?

Associate
OP
i punched it into a PSU calculator.

ryzen 5 2600x processor
gigabyte B450 DDR4 motherboard
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
combo optical drive as stated before
gigabyte geforce GTX 1650 graphics card

activity wise i couldnt tell you as i dont really monitor it (and i cant check because this problem splintered off from me fixing a boot disk failure on the SSD). but the most demanding thing i do is probably source engine gaming which is nothing.

Associate
OP
im having an IT friend of mine coming over to take a gander. thanks for the help though guys. computer errors are a fascinating thing.

Soldato
Maybe a fresh Windows install might be worth it before deciding on replacing PSU. If you don't find an easier solution.

If the drive has no power , windows reinstall will not help.. All he has to do to prove no power is hit the eject button on the front of the drive and if it doesn't eject there is no power and nothing to do with windows.

He's using a poor PSU and really don't understand what he's doing there and he mentions PCIE power (which I think he means the modular end on the PSU) and clearly he needs to put some pictures up of what he's doing and the psu cables used and where he is plugging them into the psu if hes plugging them into the wrong area on the psu then it won't work as said drives require 5v and if he's sticking the modular end into a gpu/cpu pcie power point on the psu then there is only 12v and wrong place to connect it. He needs to check his wiring is connected to the right areas of the psu first, sounds like the mistake is there and surprised the modular cable even goes into the wrong area of the psu.

Soldato
If the drive has no power , windows reinstall will not help.. All he has to do to prove no power is hit the eject button on the front of the drive and if it doesn't eject there is no power and nothing to do with windows.

He's using a poor PSU and really don't understand what he's doing there and he mentions PCIE power (which I think he means the modular end on the PSU) and clearly he needs to put some pictures up of what he's doing and the psu cables used and where he is plugging them into the psu if hes plugging them into the wrong area on the psu then it won't work as said drives require 5v and if he's sticking the modular end into a gpu/cpu pcie power point on the psu then there is only 12v and wrong place to connect it. He needs to check his wiring is connected to the right areas of the psu first, sounds like the mistake is there and surprised the modular cable even goes into the wrong area of the psu.

activity wise i couldnt tell you as i dont really monitor it (and i cant check because this problem splintered off from me fixing a boot disk failure on the SSD)

The bolded is why I suggested it.

Back
Top Bottom