• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX3080 FE - Re-do thermal pads vs Warranty

Soldato
Waiting for their response.

Mine would hit into the 100C’s within 5 minutes.

If I get the same card or a replacement card that does the same… I will repad it myself, as that appears the only good solution to bring temps. down. I wanted to try the warranty process first.

That's normal, especially at 4K. Your replacement card will be the same.

Only fix is thermal pad replacement.

Permabanned
this isn't true, I don't mine on my 3080 but gaming it was hitting 105C which I don't really like the idea of so repadded (I usually watercool my main GPU but couldn't be bothered this time), now it sits around 85-90C when gaming, so to me this was well worthwhile for peace of mind

Good luck, as from what I have seen ALL the FE cards are like that stock.
Mine both where. After a while gaming the VRAM hits 104c, and the fans go to jet-mode.

Id be surprised if you get a card back from RMA thats any different.

What did the retailer say when you opened the claim?

Waiting for their response.

Mine would hit into the 100C’s within 5 minutes.

If I get the same card or a replacement card that does the same… I will repad it myself, as that appears the only good solution to bring temps. down. I wanted to try the warranty process first.

My AIB RTX 3080 on 75% fan has never passed 90c VRAM while gaming, this is with RT,4K , max settings, intensely. It has 3 fans and with the fan at 75%, it is quiet. The core has never passed 68c. Also read the reviews as they are in line with that.

You need to have good airflow in your case. And if you are mining, like a lot are, you are frying your vram to 110c.

Associate
My AIB RTX 3080 on 75% fan has never passed 90c VRAM while gaming, this is with RT,4K , max settings, intensely. It has 3 fans and with the fan at 75%, it is quiet. The core has never passed 68c. Also read the reviews as they are in line with that.

You need to have good airflow in your case. And if you are mining, like a lot are, you are frying your vram to 110c.
Which brand are you using?

Associate
In a normal market… I would have gone with the Gaming X Trio or Suprim X. I am currently running a 3070 Gaming X Trio, cracking card.

The FE version is the only sensible option price wise, or pay more than double MSRP from a UK retailer for a AIB model.
Likewise... I so wanted a Gaming X Trio (Had one on order too!! But it got cancelled when they "discontinued" it.) or even better a Suprim X. But the costs of them and rarity meant I ended up grabbing an FE instead... if it didnt whine, Id be 100% happy with it now that the fans are undercontrol.

Pet Northerner
Don
Went down the replacement pads route - was unhappy with the high thermals on gaming. The core still rocks a little warm (but coming from a vega 64, there's nothing new there! :D) but the VRAM temps are miles better.

Worth the risk to me.

Soldato
I did the pads on my ventus as it was hitting 110 and throttling hash rate, the FE on the other hand sits at 106 on a hot day so not bothered by this as its not effecting performance and if it fails I'll just RMA.

Associate
Update Report

Surprisingly, the replacement card is so much better. Same test, 10 - 15 mins of RT games at 3440 x 1440 (Control and Cyberpunk).

Old card (I assume was an old production batch).
  • Resizable BAR was not enabled.
  • Had to flash GPU bios.
  • RPM's peaking in the 3.3k range, holding at 2.6k+.
  • Sounded like a Dyson.
  • VRAM temps. peaking at 106/8C.
Replacement card (I assume is a new production batch).
  • Resizable BAR enabled out of the box.
  • RPM's peaking in the 1.8k range, holding at 1.7k+.
  • Doesn't sound like a Dyson.
  • VRAM temps. peaking at 100C.
I am going to run it as it is (no repadding), keep the warranty intact for the time being.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Update Report

Surprisingly the replacement card is much better. Same test, 10 - 15 mins of RT games at 3440 x 1440 (Control and Cyberpunk).

Old card (I assume was an old production batch).
  • Resizable BAR was not enabled.
  • Had to flash GPU bios.
  • RPM's peaking in the 3.3k range, holding at 2.6k+.
  • Sounded like a Dyson.
  • VRAM temps. peaking at 106/8C.
Replacement card (I assume is a new production batch).
  • Resizable BAR enabled out of the box.
  • RPM's peaking in the 1.8k range, holding at 1.7k+.
  • Doesn't sound like a Dyson.
  • VRAM temps. peaking at 100C.
I am going to run it as it is (no repadding), keep the warranty intact for the time being.

How many games does resizable bar work with ?

Permabanned

NV have still not added anymore games to ReBar! :cry: Looks like it's been killed off already.

GeForce RTX 30 Series Resizable BAR Supported Games, as of March 30th, 2021:
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • Battlefield V
  • Borderlands 3
  • Control
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Death Stranding
  • DIRT 5
  • F1 2020
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Godfall