Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Latency is crap, bandwidth is great. I didn't notice a difference just browsing the web when switching. VM's networks have never seemed to improve their congestion that much over the years.
However you can haggle them down a lot which makes it worth it in the end if you don't need the better latency.

Associate
Surprisingly it does feel better browsing than on Sky which I found odd, the latency is not the end of the world but does mean it is not exactly the best for gaming either.

Associate
You had FTTP I presume, and went to VM? Why?!

FTTC, copper for the last bit, it's been great, but couldn't get a good deal with Sky to keep the full package with them and could switch to VM and save 1.3k over the term, simple as that, in the process I get 4x bandwidth and better upload, just the Latency and VM interface the only downsides.

Man of Honour
FTTC, copper for the last bit, it's been great, but couldn't get a good deal with Sky to keep the full package with them and could switch to VM and save 1.3k over the term, simple as that, in the process I get 4x bandwidth and better upload, just the Latency and VM interface the only downsides.
You had 156 download or was that a typo?

Associate
Yes 160/30 from sky via G.fast and it was more or less that the whole 18Months, nice, my line was 330 capable but Sky did not offer that step up, but I could get it from BT or TalkTalk etc.

VM is 660/45, so the upload not loads better, 4x to go along with bandwidth would have been nicer TBH but still.

I have both side by side at the mo

sky latency

skylatency.jpg

virgin

virginlatency.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm moving into a new house on the 30th and I'm planning on getting VM when I move. Can I order it now and not have it going live until the 30th? I know you can choose a day for kit delivery but not sure if they'll need to send anything to the house or if I'll get charged for anything in the meantime.

Don't really want to proceed too much with the order page since it does a hard credit check before I even get to dates etc which is annoying.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm moving into a new house on the 30th and I'm planning on getting VM when I move. Can I order it now and not have it going live until the 30th? I know you can choose a day for kit delivery but not sure if they'll need to send anything to the house or if I'll get charged for anything in the meantime.

Don't really want to proceed too much with the order page since it does a hard credit check before I even get to dates etc which is annoying.
Do you know if the property has VM cabled in already? If its only on the street but they've not taken it before then it'll require a physical visit to run the cable from the street to the property so you could then book that for a suitable day when you have the keys. If you get a self install kit (if they've had VM before) then I'm not sure if you can pick a date for that to arrive - might be worth giving them a call to check?

Soldato
Definitely has VM already as quick start kit is an option. Previous owner has settled/moved their account too so nothing is outstanding. But I guess it's best I call them to see what they say.

Associate
Definitely has VM already as quick start kit is an option. Previous owner has settled/moved their account too so nothing is outstanding. But I guess it's best I call them to see what they say.
I managed to get the install arranged for the day after we moved in

Associate
I've had a generally good experience with VM connections but getting in contact with them for anything does take the **** sometimes:

Hi,

Just following up on our chat on 08/07/2021 where we agreed on a resolution to your complaint.

Here’s a recap on your complaint:
Cable > Billing/Charges > Other

And here’s what we agreed:
Resolution
Refer to self-care

We’ve now closed your complaint. Thank you for being so patient with us.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

Received the above 12 minutes after submitting a complaint through the webform. Absolutely nobody contacted me or had a "chat"

Soldato

Just Quidco it and book online, easy £130ish quid in your pocket and yes, you can book an install as long as the other party has a disconnection moved :)

Soldato
Is the SH4 worth it over SH3?

It’s not like you get a choice, if you are in a 3.1 area and taking Gig1, you get it, while they are being issued to people who have issues in congested 3.1 areas on lower packages, I don’t think they are standard issue yet.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
It’s not like you get a choice, if you are in a 3.1 area and taking Gig1, you get it, while they are being issued to people who have issues in congested 3.1 areas on lower packages, I don’t think they are standard issue yet.

Got an email from virgin telling me I can get one for free

Soldato

don’t assume the cabling install at your new place or, the kit inside the road cabinet is up
to snuff.

In my last place i could get m600 speeds and it was pre wired for VM but the install engineer had to start again as all the bits weren’t up
to snuff for m600 speeds and it took him
a good couple of hours to do the install.

Associate
I am on Vodafone FTTC at the moment but the line is rubbish and Vodafone keep fobbing me off.

I'm not going to get openreach or any other fibre providers for a long time it seems, but I can get Virgin media.

But it seems quite expensive.

What prices would I be looking at after a bit of haggling just for internet? I only pay about £25 a month now.

Soldato
I am on Vodafone FTTC at the moment but the line is rubbish and Vodafone keep fobbing me off.

I'm not going to get openreach or any other fibre providers for a long time it seems, but I can get Virgin media.

But it seems quite expensive.

What prices would I be looking at after a bit of haggling just for internet? I only pay about £25 a month now.

try looking at moneysupermarket / uswitch sites they usually have deals , no setup fee / vouchers etc , quick search I found 213mb with no setup fee/ £50 voucher works out to £25.22 per month and £4 lower for 108mb

Back
Top Bottom