Soccer sickies

Soldato
Having a pre-existing medical condition can be a boon at times, could just phone in claiming a flair up.

Yes indeed. I've got Crohn's and some days I'm in pain and whilst I could work, it would be incredibly sporadic because it's so draining. Some of those days I've "worked from home" and some taken the day off. I say "worked from home" because I will answer the occasional email and phone call, but can't sit at my desk all day. I see that as giving what I can, but not giving 100%. The alternative being stay at home and do nothing at all and take it off sick.

Associate
OP
Yes indeed. I've got Crohn's and some days I'm in pain and whilst I could work, it would be incredibly sporadic because it's so draining. Some of those days I've "worked from home" and some taken the day off. I say "worked from home" because I will answer the occasional email and phone call, but can't sit at my desk all day. I see that as giving what I can, but not giving 100%. The alternative being stay at home and do nothing at all and take it off sick.

Yeahm, know how you feel abotu flare ups (but in my case it was build ups). I've had mysterious pains in my left side for the past five years. First it started as discomfort before finally builting up to severe pains in my left side which were like the pains of a heart attack (it wasn't my heart). Things got to a point where i was having to leave work early becuase of the pains, sometimes arriving with them. Anyway, it turned out I had somethng called Gastro(something)itis, which is a build up of stomach acid. It might not sound like much but the pains had to be had to be believed.
I'm alright now but the strange thing wasit turned out I was dehydrated (i found ths out at the hospital I was finally taken to after the medical community finally started taking notice and listening) after all the water I was taking with painkillers.

Soldato
Ha, top tip if pulling a sickie don't have your face plastered all over tv and social media :p

Meet the digital content producer who pulled a sickie to go to Wembley... and got sacked

Nina Farooqi's euphoria when Harry Kane scored England's winner was clear to see for anyone watching the European Championship semi-final on Wednesday night. Standing right behind the goal at Wembley, Farooqi and her friend were screaming and jumping in the air, arms around each other and an England flag wrapped around their shoulders as the television cameras zoomed in. It was the best moment of her life as a football fan.

But less than 12 hours later she was brought right back down to earth by a phone call from her boss, delivering the news she had been sacked for attending the historic night at Wembley.

"It’s mixed emotions: we’re through to the final, I’m still on that high, but I’ve also lost my job," Farooqi told Telegraph Sport. The 37-year-old digital content producer from Ilkley, Bradford had pulled a sickie after a friend offered her a last-minute ticket to the England match.

"My friend won the ticket in her work ballot, and knew I'd do anything to get to the game - there was no way I was going to turn it down," Farooqi said. "This hasn’t come around since 1996, I vividly remember crying on my mum's sofa when Gareth Southgate missed his penalty, and the football fan in me just couldn’t do it. Football is my life."

But Farooqi said she thought she was unlikely to be granted the day off to attend, due to work being short-staffed. So she decided to call in sick and hopped on Wednesday's lunchtime train from Leeds to London Kings Cross, before heading to Wembley.

When she and her friend got into the ground, they realised their seats were right behind the goal. Though Farooqi felt a jolt of nerves about whether she might get caught, she rationalised that in a crowd of 66,000 people it was highly unlikely.

But she was wrong. Checking her phone at half-time, after England scored their equaliser and she had had her first five seconds of fame, she realised her incognito trip down to Wembley was no longer a secret: "We were all over the news, my face was on every television screen across the world - I had friends from Australia and America telling me they’d seen me. I was even on [television presenter] Stacey Dooley's Instagram story. My phone blew up. The whole world had seen me celebrating. The rational part of me thought, 'oh no, is this going to come back to haunt me?'"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/euro-20...producer-pulled-sickie-go-wembley-got-sacked/

Soldato
For some englands success seems to be their cake, for me its the icing on the cake. Sure its cool they have made the final but no big deal if they didn’t..

Soldato
Yeahm, know how you feel abotu flare ups (but in my case it was build ups). I've had mysterious pains in my left side for the past five years. First it started as discomfort before finally builting up to severe pains in my left side which were like the pains of a heart attack (it wasn't my heart). Things got to a point where i was having to leave work early becuase of the pains, sometimes arriving with them. Anyway, it turned out I had somethng called Gastro(something)itis, which is a build up of stomach acid. It might not sound like much but the pains had to be had to be believed.
I'm alright now but the strange thing wasit turned out I was dehydrated (i found ths out at the hospital I was finally taken to after the medical community finally started taking notice and listening) after all the water I was taking with painkillers.

There are lots of painkillers that damage the stomach lining. So they probably were increasing the pain!

Associate
OP
There are lots of painkillers that damage the stomach lining. So they probably were increasing the pain!

I know about Iburofen and paracetomol didn't work.

I'm alright now but the pains'd make anybody confess to being the mastermind behind The Great Train Robbery (there were flaws in the plaaning, mistakes were mad [like not wearing gloves] and the crew involved didn't count on unforseen events and witnesses) and a mass murderer.

Soldato
Ha, top tip if pulling a sickie don't have your face plastered all over tv and social media :p

Stupid woman. She should've phoned in citing 'mental issues', namely depression, and if caught out simply claim her mate found herself with a spare ticket and asked her to go as she thought it would cheer her up. Can't be sacking somebody for suffering from a mental illness. Hell, women have an easy one, they just phone in and claim 'women's problems' and they can have any amount of days off, no questions asked.

Soldato
All the working class Tories must be proud.

1625861910.jpg

Soldato
Rumours of a bank holiday on Monday if England win.
Rumours by the Daily Mail I guess. How would any business react that quickly?

Stupid woman. She should've phoned in citing 'mental issues', namely depression, and if caught out simply claim her mate found herself with a spare ticket and asked her to go as she thought it would cheer her up. Can't be sacking somebody for suffering from a mental illness. Hell, women have an easy one, they just phone in and claim 'women's problems' and they can have any amount of days off, no questions asked.
This kind of chat is so unbecoming

Soldato
While not official policy, my company used to pay the odd few sick days. That was until we had one guy who took the **** and was off every Friday with a new illness each week. Not long after him leaving they made sure to tighten up on it.

Same here, Its always those that abuse the system that ruins it for everyone else who's genuinely sick, Now the company i work for (very large company, Many stores (150+) across the UK) have tighter the belt that much regarding sickness policy that people are scared to have time off so often come in with flus, passing it along to everyone else.

Man of Honour
Can't see where I work making Monday a bank holiday on this short notice. Though I can see them buying in a takeaway or buffet or something if we do win as a celebration.

Associate
Bank Holiday for a game of football?!?!?

The world has gone totally potty. What next, a Bank Holiday for winning the cricket, rugby, Olympic gold medals, snooker?

We'll be running out of Monday's soon.

Man of Honour
If we win it wont be a Bank Holiday on Monday but I honestly think Boris would give a bank holiday to celebrate it sometime later on, its good PR after all.

On the issue of the woman who was sacked for lying about being ill and then being caught on camera at the England game, good on the boss, I'd have damn well sacked her too. Not for going to an England match but for lying about why she wasnt in work. If she had come to me and said she has tickets for the England game and wanted to go to that then I'd be fine with it but dont make up a lie about being off. I wouldnt want a liar for an employee. Hopefully she has learned the vital life lesson that every action has a repercussion and you will (or damn well should) be held accountable for your actions.

Man of Honour
Lol this is mad, a bank holiday for winning a few games of football? :D

I guess its so that there can be a proper celebration, open top bus or whatever so that people can attend that to celebrate a once in a lifetime occurrence, without needing to take a day off work in order to do so.

Man of Honour
I guess its so that there can be a proper celebration, open top bus or whatever so that people can attend that to celebrate a once in a lifetime occurrence, without needing to take a day off work in order to do so.

I just don't get it, sure in the context of football, it's a big achievement, but for those who have no interest in football, it doesn't really matter in the slightest. I'm sure in some other sport, England have been winning world championships all the time and get no recognition, let alone a day off work :D

England won the Cricket world cup in 2019, surely a bigger achievement than a continental championship, nothing happened then? :p

Back
Top Bottom