Adsl modem or Adam modem router combo

Associate
Hi
So due to location I can only get adsl, but I need a modem or modem router combo that will handle a load of smart home devices, 6 security cameras and voip. Tall order I know, but I cannot find anything that seems to fit this requirement. This will sit in front of a unifi dream machine pro.

open to suggestions

Soldato
If you've already got a UDM-P then there's no point buying another router and getting stuck with double NAT. So it's a modem you want.

There's nothing special about your requirements and a modem won't care about the number of devices on the LAN side of the UDM-P so an Openreach branded Huawei HG612 or Draytek Vigor 130 would be my suggestions.

Soldato
Ebay is the best place for an HG612. Probably the same story for the Vigor 130 actually as they're in short supply and may even not be currently sold.

Another possibility is the Draytek Vigor 165, I know they'll do ADSL2 & VDSL but am not 100% sure they'll do ADSL.

Soldato
Can you use an HG612 on PPPoA ADSL in bridge mode? IIRC you can get them working on ADSL if the authentication is done on the modem (once unlocked), but that's not quite the same thing.

One of the main selling points on the DrayTek modems used to be that they could translate between PPPoE on the router on PPPoA for the connection.

Soldato
Can you use an HG612 on PPPoA ADSL in bridge mode? IIRC you can get them working on ADSL if the authentication is done on the modem (once unlocked), but that's not quite the same thing.

One of the main selling points on the DrayTek modems used to be that they could translate between PPPoE on the router on PPPoA for the connection.

Ah, good point. I'd forgotten about PPPoA.

Back
Top Bottom