Born To Get Old Return To Biking.

Soldato
Having just retired thinking of getting a Bike, have a full licence.

We have some lovely country roads up here in Tyne & Wear, Northumberland.

I biked all year round so thinking of doing some kind of refresher course can any one suggest one.

My past bike's were Royal Oilfield 250, Suzuki T250J, Suzuki GT500, Suzuki GT750(Kettle), Bonneville 650, Suzuki GS850.

A 1000cc l think will be out of my price range new, so have been looking at a new Suzuki SV650X or a Bennelli 750s.

The SV650 is well proven and the 750S still researching it, hoping to do a bit touring as well.

Suzuki SV650X-
BVFTSVg.jpg

Bennelli 750s-
vv2wN1D.jpg

Will update and let you know how thing's are going.

Last edited:
Associate
I have the 2016 sv650, so still the gen3 just the first of that new shape. It's been great and does everything I need, the only downside is the seat isn't the most comfortable, so if your touring you may want to invest in a nicer seat.

Also based in the North East too

Soldato
SV650 is a good bike. Alternatively consider the Yamaha MT07 (or MT09 if you want a bit more power), or Kawasaki Z650. If you want something prepped for touring out of the box, consider the Yamaha Tracer 900 or Kawasaki Versus 650 which are the touring models of the previously mentioned bikes.

Having owned the SV650, Versys 650 and now the MT10 (MT07/09's big brother), you can't go wrong with any of these. All models have been around for a few years so will be available second hand at varying budgets.

Man of Honour
I'll also be looking for an SV650 class of bike once I get my license. A couple of others to consider too are the Yamaha XSR700 (essentially an MT07 in a retro style) and if you could increase budget then a Triumph Trident 660.

Soldato
OP
Well this is my short list for my choice of bikes so far, will be buying used so service history is a must-

Honda VFR 800

Yamaha MT09/Tracer 900/MTO7

Kawaski Versy 1000

Suzuki SV650

Hyosung GT650P

Hyosung GT650P Naked/GT650R- made in South Korea this bike is based on the Suzuki SV650 , they make a lot of parts for Suzuki.

Have read a few reviews good build quality and performance, atm you can by it new for £3699 special offer.

Its worth thinking about at that price, check it out from link below-

https://www.hyosunguk.co.uk/bikedetail.php?slug=2019-hyosung-gt650p-66

The GT650P model is a Naked bike manufactured by Hyosung . In this version sold from year 2016 , the dry weight is and it is equipped with a V2, four-stroke motor. The engine produces a maximum peak output power of 79.00 HP (57.7 kW)) @ 9250 RPM and a maximum torque of 66.88 Nm (6.8 kgf-m or 49.3 ft.lbs) @ 7250 RPM . With this drive-train, the Hyosung GT650P is capable of reaching a maximum top speed of . On the topic of chassis characteristics, responsible for road holding, handling behavior and ride comfort, the Hyosung GT650P has a frame with front suspension being Up side down telescopic and at the rear, it is equipped with Hydraulic Mono shock absorber (Preload adjustable) . Stock tire sizes are 120/60-ZR17 on the front, and 160/60-ZR17 on the rear. As for stopping power, the Hyosung GT650P braking system includes Double disc. Semi Floating discs, 4 pistons calipers size 300 mm (11.8 inches) at the front and Single disc. 2 pistons caliper size 230 mm (9.1 inches) at the back

Hyosung GT650P Naked-
jaeTbDc.jpg

Associate
Well this is my short list for my choice of bikes so far, will be buying used so service history is a must-

Honda VFR 800

Yamaha MT09/Tracer 900/MTO7

Kawaski Versy 1000

Suzuki SV650

Hyosung GT650P

What sort of style of motorcycle are you looking for? I have a VFR 750, and it's big, heavy, and comfortable. Can find myself doing 100mph without realising it sitting behind all that fairing, and it's surprisingly agile. A nice motorway muncher, and comfortable though it does have a more sporty riding position than your other options, which are more sit up, naked. You need to do some test riding, as switching to the VFR after riding a naked, my wrists ache, and hands go numb pretty quickly until I readjust.

You mention touring above, and I can say the VFR will be the most comfortable for that, it'll take any extra weight without issue, and you don't get beat to death by the wind, but the MT09 for example would probably be more fun on a weekend run.

What's your ballpark budget?

Street triple / Retro styled street twin are probably above your budget if you're looking around 3.5k, but you could get an SV1000 rather than the 650 if you wanted the extra capacity. The Suzuki V-strom is comparible to a Versys.

The kawasaki z1000SX is fairly cheap now, could be an option?

You haven't said how older you are / how long of a break you've had from motorcycling so some general advice would be; go to a used motorcycle dealership, explain that you are looking to get back into biking, and they may know someone local that will do a refresher course, and allow you to test ride a few different styles of motorcycle to see what fits you.

Soldato
OP
Sv650, all black with a few extras, can't go wrong

Nice 1.

What sort of style of motorcycle are you looking for? I have a VFR 750, and it's big, heavy, and comfortable. Can find myself doing 100mph without realising it sitting behind all that fairing, and it's surprisingly agile. A nice motorway muncher, and comfortable though it does have a more sporty riding position than your other options, which are more sit up, naked. You need to do some test riding, as switching to the VFR after riding a naked, my wrists ache, and hands go numb pretty quickly until I readjust.

You mention touring above, and I can say the VFR will be the most comfortable for that, it'll take any extra weight without issue, and you don't get beat to death by the wind, but the MT09 for example would probably be more fun on a weekend run.

What's your ballpark budget?

Street triple / Retro styled street twin are probably above your budget if you're looking around 3.5k, but you could get an SV1000 rather than the 650 if you wanted the extra capacity. The Suzuki V-strom is comparible to a Versys.

The kawaski z1000SX is fairly cheap now, could be an option?

You haven't said how older you are / how long of a break you've had from motorcycling so some general advice would be; go to a used motorcycle dealership, explain that you are looking to get back into biking, and they may know someone local that will do a refresher course, and allow you to test ride a few different styles of motorcycle to see what fits you.

Hi, from my Suzi T250J to my Suzi GS850 which were sit up naked did not stop me from going camping, mainly all over Scotland with the odd trip south.

The only thing we had in common with todays bikes were disc brakes, no Traction control, ABS to name two. You bikers today are really spoilt lol, thank you for suggesting the VFR750.

The bike will be mainly solo so doing a spot of touring on a modern 650 twin/4valves per cylinder water cooled should do 60/65 mph all day long with stops. Maybe up the front sprocket one tooth with a small handle bar wind screen.

Its still early days had a look at the price of helmets and clothing not cheap to say the least.

Two trips l must do is revisit the TT been three times so far and l like the sound of the NC500 round Scotland.

I'm 66 been away from biking 30+ years, yes a refresher course is a must could not agree more, might start with a 650 that's why its on my list and trade up after a year or so.

Back
Top Bottom