• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unbelievable ! 2 GPU's failing.

Soldato
Could be PSU or if you are trying on same motherboard, the pcie slot maybe faulty, so try in another slot and another system to rule them out. Just strange both start same time, did the drivers update and maybe cause this too, windows loves updating drivers in the background if you don't disable it too.

Also make sure chipset drivers for the motherboard are installed and working correctly.

Associate
I'm on my same Corsair HX850 for 10 years. Using it in my new Ryzen 5800x build thing is solid.

I'm not saying Seasonic are not good by the way.
HX850 was always CWT according to the old RealHardtechx.com's PSU database:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm
but HX450, HX520, HX620, and HX650 were all made by Seasonic.
Way back when Corsair entered the PSU market they used a lot of Seasonic ones (the orginal Seasonic-made CX400 was meant to be able to sustain around 500W easily).
After they got established the used far cheaper OEMs which is nothing new (I think EVGA are following a similar model).
The one difference with Corsair seems to be that they also hired people who knew PSUs well - like JohnnyGuru - potentially with a view of knowing which corners were safe(ish) to cut and which were not.
That's my impression from reviews which mention that such-and-such a Corsair supply was based on a CWT or GreatWall etc. design but that Corsair had spec'ed a few upgrades. A lot of those upgrades seem to be cosmetic (quieter fans, different cables), but some of them struck me as something only a customer who knows their PSUs would spec.

Associate
They are both not decent power supplies, the VS is poor and the CXM also. Had it been a plain CX and not the modular version, that's an ok unit.

Whether that's the cause of the issues I don't know, but neither unit is particularly good.

Associate
OP
Well, the 7870 seems good after the remount, 35c idle and hitting 68c in heaven, have a feeling the card is sagging a little which is causing one of the VRAM chips to lose contact with the heatsink so i'ma carve a support from a bit of wood as a temp fix.

The 7950, one of the fans has died, managed to get it to keep 71c with an aggressive curve and side panel off.

No more artifacts !! Happy wife and daughter :D

Still can't believe they both went awry within 24 hours of each other.

Associate
OP
They are both not decent power supplies, the VS is poor and the CXM also. Had it been a plain CX and not the modular version, that's an ok unit.

Whether that's the cause of the issues I don't know, but neither unit is particularly good.

The fact they have both been running gaming systems for the last 6-8 years without any issues what so ever makes them decent. I have had plenty of poor power supplies in the past that haven't lasted a year, I spent the first years of building systems (late 90's) using cheap PSU's and learned through experience. I know the difference between a decent and poor PSU in real world application.

Stop slagging my gear off :p:p:p

Soldato
A
The fact they have both been running gaming systems for the last 6-8 years without any issues what so ever makes them decent. I have had plenty of poor power supplies in the past that haven't lasted a year, I spent the first years of building systems (late 90's) using cheap PSU's and learned through experience. I know the difference between a decent and poor PSU in real world application.

Agreed. If they think those are poor psus they clearly haven't seen a q-tec. Just because something doesn't have the highest spec, or isn't able to exceed those specs, doesn't mean it's poor.
Not being able to operate within spec, especially when is already low spec, and/or killing other hardware, is a poor psu.

Associate

Go do your research :cry:

And 8 years? Have you heard of ageing capacitors? :D

Associate
A

Agreed. If they think those are poor psus they clearly haven't seen a q-tec. Just because something doesn't have the highest spec, or isn't able to exceed those specs, doesn't mean it's poor.
Not being able to operate within spec, especially when is already low spec, and/or killing other hardware, is a poor psu.

No, but when you go do your homework on power supply OEMs, you find out how good they really are..

Soldato
Still can't believe they both went awry within 24 hours of each other.
Mr. Murphy just doing over time...

The fact they have both been running gaming systems for the last 6-8 years without any issues what so ever makes them decent.
That doesn't make them good PSUs, but only old cheap PSUs.
Especially VS is very cheapo level model with Chinese grab bag level parts.
And CX has been that low end model.
Corsair just sticks their big hype brand sticker on them to make people think they're buying high end PSU.

One easy measure for quality is how much maker/brand trusts their PSUs in warranty length.
If it's only short three years, that means PSU isn't intended to last in continuous enthusiast use.

Soldato
Why do I need to research ? They are tried and tested in real world application ?

Aging Capacitors ? The efficacy and efficiency of electrical components decreases with age and use ? The concept is completely foreign to me. :rolleyes:
Sure it's quite certain "maker" actually tests PSUs to determine their endurance for deciding warranty length.
Just put PSU under load in controlled increased ambient temperatures and you accelerate aging.
Basically life time of electrolytic capacitors halves for every 10C increase in ambient.
So rise ambient 30C and they age at 8 times the normal speed, 40C for 16x aging, 50C for 32x aging...

And cheap PSUs use cheaper caps with lower endurance and lower amount of work load they can endure staying inside specified endurance.
In worst case they're even specified only for 85C ambient instead of standard good level of 105C.
Or cheap factory could use capacitors with fake specs made by scammer company.

Basic semiconductors like diodes and transistors again are very much on-off parts in their durability when otherwise used with in spec:
They work fine until quite high temperatures, at which point they start dying fast/instantly.
Hence if those are properly size with proper cooling when needed and there are no weak solder joints, it's mostly capacitors which decide life span of device.

It was failing capacitors which got replaced when people took their old CRT TVs to repairman in the past for all those problems of image "shaking"/being misaligned/missized when powered.

Associate
Why do I need to research ? They are tried and tested in real world application ?

Aging Capacitors ? The efficacy and efficiency of electrical components decreases with age and use ? The concept is completely foreign to me. :rolleyes:

Yes, the efficiency of electrical components DOES decrease with age.

If that's foreign to you, best call a computer shop :cry:

Soldato
The higher quality PSU's are worth the money, benefits include.

1) Not burning your house down.
2) Quieter / even silent operation
3) Over 90% efficient on the good ones.
4) Last for ages, I still have a Seasonic X650 from 2009 still in use.
5) Tighter voltage regulation, so better overclocking, more stable, even more under-voting if that's your thing.
6) If they do fail, the better PSU's normally isolate issue to themselves and not napalm the rest of PC.

I would also argue that paying extra for a good PSU such as Seasonic could work out cheaper in long run, due to A) efficiency savings, B) it lasting longer.

Associate

I used the corsair vs650 (which was apparently known for catching fire sometimes) for like 3-4 years until it died, should've been more paranoid :D scares me thinking about it

Associate

2) Quieter / even silent operation
3) Over 90% efficient on the good ones.
4) Last for ages, I still have a Seasonic X650 from 2009 still in use.
5) Tighter voltage regulation, so better overclocking, more stable, even more under-voting if that's your thing.
6) If they do fail, the better PSU's normally isolate issue to themselves and not napalm the rest of PC.

I would also argue that paying extra for a good PSU such as Seasonic could work out cheaper in long run, due to A) efficiency savings, B) it lasting longer.

He says he's sorted it now, I was just highlighting the fact that he says they're good units. People come here to see correct information, what he said was not correct. But you are correct in what you say aside from electricity savings, that amounts to maybe 20 quid a year. Really not worth buying expensive units on that premise.

He's running 8 year old CV and CXM units which are both a recipe for disaster, but pointing this out is "slagging off his gear". He's also not aware of capacitor ageing in power supplies or doing research into OEMs.

They may stay working for another 8 years, but that's a massive gamble to take.

Back
Top Bottom