** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Soldato
I received my G9 the other day. Of the many issues I hear of with this monitor it was a big risk what with the new mini led version coming soon, but I got it at an extremely good price via a hukd someone posted. It works out at £790 but you get a free Samsung SSD bundled with it worth about £120. So this can be sold on or possibly even refunded with Samsung...not sure yet. This would make it £670.

My panel seems to be a recently manufactured one and has latest firmware on it. It's the model that uses half the power consumption of other models. It has no dead pixels anywhere, minimal light bleed (tiny bit on the bottom left and top left corner when testing in a completely dark room with brightness set to 100%), no light bleed along the bezel edge like some people got, no scan line issues, no flickering. Just a sharp, lovely VA picture. I would say out of the box it looks quite neutral to me and not overly saturated like some monitors come. It doesn't quite have the colour pop of some IPS panels. Black levels look acceptable to me.

For productivity work this is absolutely a game changer for me personally. I love the simplicity of having one panel and none of the issues with running multiple screens when sharing it between laptop and desktop.

Associate
I wonder how they halved the power consumption, must be using a different back light... interesting...
They didn't, the EU has introduced new energy labels (mandatory since March 2021), it's just calculated differently now. It's still the same power consumption.
Only thing changed between 2020 G9 and 2021 G9 "revision" (not to be confused with 2021 G9 Mini LED) is a newer motherboard which is able to handle the full 60.62 Gbit/s bandwidth (24.25 Gbit/s with DSC 2.5x) without any scan lines.

Last edited:
Associate
See my signature for how to read out the manufacturing date.

Latest firmware for the G9 is 1011.8 (both for 2020 and 2021 "revision"), but yours probably came with 1010.2, right?

Been monitoring the Korean firmware download page on Samsung's website and its still showing 1010.2! Thanks for letting us know a newer version is out!

What is the change log for this update? Is it a beta firmware as it's not on their website yet?

Last edited:
Associate
They didn't, the EU has introduced new energy labels (mandatory since March 2021), it's just calculated differently now. It's still the same power consumption.
Only thing changed between 2020 G9 and 2021 G9 "revision" (not to be confused with 2021 G9 Mini LED) is a newer motherboard which is able to handle the full 60.62 Gbit/s bandwidth (24.25 Gbit/s with DSC 2.5x) without any scan lines.

That sounds like it's solved a widespread problem! Annoying they didn't get this right on the initial release of G9's! Mine has some scanlines sometimes, in the corners, everything else is good though so not sure it's worth buying a newer model and rolling the dice on things like dead pixels etc. What do other people think who have the scan lines issue? Better to live with it?

Great info on the power consumption btw! Thanks for all your knowledge sharing!

Associate
What is the change log for this update? Is it a beta firmware as it's not on their website yet?
No idea. Supposedly it's from Samsung Business Support in the UK.
See here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/ocs52s/samsung_odyssey_g9_hdr/h3wt60y/

Been using it for the last 5 days and it is working fine. Previously I was running 1007.1 as 1010.2 with VRR Control disabled gave me severe flickering with a 6800 XT (no issue at all with 1007.1) and now with 1011.8 it is fixed again.

Associate
Mine has some scanlines sometimes, in the corners, everything else is good though so not sure it's worth buying a newer model and rolling the dice on things like dead pixels etc. What do other people think who have the scan lines issue? Better to live with it?
The more you go into the corners the more mine has it as well, so I guess that's normal. I would have already returned it a long time ago if I would notice it in games but I don't. Since on the desktop I'm switching to PBP 120 Hz where the issue is not present (or at least not noticable) I can live with it.
I will likely upgrade once again when the G9 (2022?) has Displayport 2.0 as I just don't like DSC, especially if it has visible issues. But looking at my local marketplace, the G9 doesn't sell well, so I will also take this into consideration (paid 1249€ on launch for mine).

Associate

Do we know when they started this? Mine is March 2021 using your sig (many thanks by the way) and LC49G95TSSRXXU not had any of the issues at all inc no scanlines.

Associate
Do we know when they started this?
The new mainboard is on the 2021 "revision" with SSR in the model number instead of SSU (e.g. LC49G94TSSRXZG instead of LC49G94TSSUXZG, LC49G95TSSRXEN/LC49G95TSSUXEN) and I haven't yet seen one manufactured before March 2021. I think the earliest units were shipped to customers in April.
I read about some people getting a motherboard replacement on the SSU model but I have yet to see a report where the replacement removed the scanlines.

Associate
I tried my g7 32" and got it to 1080p 420hz but never felt or performed any better, likely due to cpu limit, but it worked and was stable but couldn't say I noticed much difference when set 1080p 240 and 420hz. 1440 240 hz is great looking for me.

Associate
I have just taken delivery of a G7 and first impressions is that it looks like the panel is ok with no dead pixels, g-sync in operation without issues and no obvious tearing in games. Will check the backlight bleed later and need to get use to the curve...

One thing I cant seem to work out is why games, movies etc are quite dark but then browsers and office applications are quite bright. I have to adjust the brightness which ever type I am in. I have turned off dynamic contrast which helped a bit and local dimming does not seem to do much, I seem to be missing something somewhere, anyone have any ideas?

Associate
I have just taken delivery of a G7 and first impressions is that it looks like the panel is ok with no dead pixels, g-sync in operation without issues and no obvious tearing in games. Will check the backlight bleed later and need to get use to the curve...

One thing I cant seem to work out is why games, movies etc are quite dark but then browsers and office applications are quite bright. I have to adjust the brightness which ever type I am in. I have turned off dynamic contrast which helped a bit and local dimming does not seem to do much, I seem to be missing something somewhere, anyone have any ideas?
Do you have windows hdr enabled, if so try it off or in windows settings for hdr turn the brightness up, I ended up just leaving it switched off and stays the same brightness

Associate
Do you have windows hdr enabled, if so try it off or in windows settings for hdr turn the brightness up, I ended up just leaving it switched off and stays the same brightness

Thanks for the tip.

I checked and it is currently off with me and when turning it on, it did make the everything darker and when turning it back up in brightness, it does seem to be closer together between them. However with it on, it all looks quite dull / washed out and not that good, not sure if that is the reason it is closer together rather than trying to resolve the difference in brightness. Any other thoughts?

Associate
I've made the jump 2 days ago!

Having had a 34" Ultrawide, I've always felt it's a bit too small overall and I wanted a screen that would cover my peripheral vision. After much research and plenty of doubts, I've decided to bite the bullet and went for the G9 55W option. It's the LC49G95TSSRXXU (Firmware 1010.2) if its of interest to anyone. I was pretty nervous ordering it and not knowing what to expect especially the size! Yes I did the whole card board cutout thing lol. The 1000R curve isn't as curved as I perceived it to be, maybe I was assuming it'll wrap around me lol. However the curvature is spot on for this size.

So far so good, no dead pixels, no scanline weirdness, no popping sounds and backlight bleed is exceptionally minimal in comparison to the 34". However I did get some slight screen 'moire' effect in AfterEffects when panning the main composition around . Switching to 120Hz eliminated this issue. No problem running other softwares at 240Hz though. I've not had flickering in or out of gaming. Perhaps it's still early days but seems positive for now.

The PBP works really well incomparison to the Coolermaster 34" as it tends to squish the display side by side. It didn't allow ratio adjustments either. No wonder so many reviews on 34"UWs tends to gloss over the PBP feature and seldom have images/videos of it.
Overall, the Legion 5 with RTX3070 handles it like a champ. I'm able to run Horizon 4 at around 90-100fps Ultra settings with HDR. Tbh I'm happy with any game above 60fps. I only game casually but primarily will be using it for work instead.

I've decided not to wait for the Neo G9 as I'm not fussed over the improved HDR, furthermore I would think it'll be too expensive to start with. Current price drop is the sweet spot I think and I'm very pleased with the current offering. I finally understood the love for the G9 ;)

oFIdAz1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom