GT86/GR86/BRZ

Associate
OP
Noo, I was hoping it could be the one car to rule them all :(

Hah, fear not they're still surprisingly practical! My issue was needing to carry a lot of server IT equipment from the North to the South so I needed something with a taller boot, in hindsight I may have gotten away with it but would have been a bit of a squeeze I think.

I managed to get a gardens worth of turf in the boot with rear seats down! (That made a mess that I'll never be able to forget haha)

Soldato
I wasn't sure when I first saw the pictures, but it looked much better in the video walk around I saw. Still think the first gen looks better, but with a slightly larger engine and a touch more power, it sounds like they've fixed the main deficiency. I've had mine for 8 years now, so this interests me as a replacement.

Soldato
I think the original has a much nicer side profile especially. Very classic Japanese and no fake vents etc (I assume they are fake since they are on the Supra, even though it's £55k).

Soldato
Looks like they are using some design elements from the Supra. I prefer the first gen, but I don't hate the look of the new one.

Interesting regarding similarity with Supra, now that you mention it.

I am sure I will try to get a viewing when it is at dealerships.

Hope the power increase is what existing owners wanted.

Soldato
Interesting regarding similarity with Supra, now that you mention it.

I am sure I will try to get a viewing when it is at dealerships.

Hope the power increase is what existing owners wanted.
I own a 2016 FRS and I think one of the things that make it look good is how slim the front of the car is. (Top to bottom) They took advantage of the flat-four and made it look like the motor may not even be in the front.

The new one looks a bit "puffy" compared to the old in my eyes.

My brother and I have been talking about the new one. He's considering getting one, and I am encouraging him! I race mine in a spec-class that is very competitive, and well-attended with strong talent.(SCCA Solo Spec Coupe) New cars tend to get buried by the board that handles classing until they see it in action over the course of a season. I only get one "toy" to race, so I'm sticking with my 16'.

If the new one gets classed well, (eventually) I may consider it.

Soldato
Yep the engine is very low, lower than the top of the wheels. But the EU regs say there has to be a big gap between the engine and bonnet for safety reasons (which is totally ruined with a strut bar lol), which might be bigger than it was in 2012. Also the headlights have to be over a certain height for some dumb reason :/

Yea theres more power on this one, but I doubt it's going to fix the lack of torque at low revs. It's just a slightly bigger version of the same engine. Way more expensive too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom