Are you doing anything with Hue?

Soldato
I still can't believe we don't have any proper UK sized switched from Philips. I haven't found anything I'm happy with so have stopped fitting what bulbs.

Soldato
Their latest v2 dimmer switch screws straight over a regular light socket.

I've been looking at this but am confused.

I get that they've sized it so it can screw directly into an existing light switch wall box in place of the existing switch but what are you supposed to do with the wires? Just twist them together? Solder? Some kind of connector?

Obviously there are a few options but feels clunky and not very well thought out by Philips. They could at least put a connector in the box to join the bare wires together rather than leaving you to sort that out yourself.

Soldato

I get that they've sized it so it can screw directly into an existing light switch wall box in place of the existing switch but what are you supposed to do with the wires? Just twist them together? Solder? Some kind of connector?

Obviously there are a few options but feels clunky and not very well thought out by Philips. They could at least put a connector in the box to join the bare wires together rather than leaving you to sort that out yourself.

Do they not screw directly over an existing light switch rather than replacing it (which i think is what you're alluding to). From some of the things i've read people have removed the existing light switch socket and just screwed this directly to the back box, but as you say you'll need to sort out the wiring behind it then.

Soldato
Do they not screw directly over an existing light switch rather than replacing it (which i think is what you're alluding to). From some of the things i've read people have removed the existing light switch socket and just screwed this directly to the back box, but as you say you'll need to sort out the wiring behind it then.

Well the back of it looks totally flat from what I can see so you couldn't just mount it on top of the existing switch.

This is actually what I've done with my existing V1 dimmers but using a third-party mount thing.

Soldato
Well the back of it looks totally flat from what I can see so you couldn't just mount it on top of the existing switch.

This is actually what I've done with my existing V1 dimmers but using a third-party mount thing.

Yeah i've got 3D printed faceplates on mine to go over the existing ones for the v1 dimmers.

Soldato

Yes, obviously make sure the power to the light switch in question is off (at fuse box) then just get a connector that connects the switch so it's always on. So you're existing switch is now sitting on the floor, and if you turn your fusebox back on, your bulbs (GU10s?) are now always on. Now just:-
1) Change your GU10s over to Hue ones (do this with the fusebox off again if you want to be super careful).
2) Screw the Hue Dimmer V2 over the old light switch hole.

Done...

Infact, I have just had some spot lights put up outside as part of a new build. I had the electrician put in a light socket into the wall, hardwired to on, which I've put a Hue Dimmer V2 over. So should the spot lights ever want to be revered to a regular switch/dimmer, the electrics are there read behind that Hue dimmer switch just to wire a conventional light switch into.

I did the same with a double dimmer switch too, and put this concoction over the light switch socket:-

F90T2o1.jpg

Associate
Looking into the hue play twin pack for the back of my monitor, do I need to buy a bridge also? All videos on YouTube look plug and play but I reckon they already have the bridge for there other devices (if needed)

Associate
Has anyone got the Hue Smart-Plugs ? I have one that was being used to control a light , but now want to be able to set a timer and use it for a fan. Currently i have setup "Alexa , Turn the fan on / off" ... But can't seem to figure out how to set it up to be turned off after (x / variable) minutes have elapsed.

I.e. to say "Alexa, Turn the fan off in 10 minutes" or to actually set a 10 minute power-off timer in the app , without having to set an on and an off time, each time

Does that make sense? Any suggestions?

Soldato
Looking for some help regarding hue.

Bought some to play and experiment with to make sure it covers the area in the garden...

I want the lights:
To come on dim at sunset off at midnight
back on from 0700-sunset (if sunset happens after).

I've done that fine with the lights.

Motion sensors I want them to only turn on lights between sunset and sunrise, with the lights will also come on during that off time.

I set day time to do nothing and night time to come on, both as a return to state. I've set the times as 1500-0800, thinking this when it could be dark enough in Scotland and turned down the light sensitivity to one above minimum.

Is this correct? If not what should I be doing?

Soldato
Looking for some help regarding hue.

Bought some to play and experiment with to make sure it covers the area in the garden...

I want the lights:
To come on dim at sunset off at midnight
back on from 0700-sunset (if sunset happens after).

I've done that fine with the lights.

Motion sensors I want them to only turn on lights between sunset and sunrise, with the lights will also come on during that off time.

I set day time to do nothing and night time to come on, both as a return to state. I've set the times as 1500-0800, thinking this when it could be dark enough in Scotland and turned down the light sensitivity to one above minimum.

Is this correct? If not what should I be doing?

That's about as best as you'll get with Hue. You can offset the sunset/sunrise times if you need it to start a bit earlier or later, but the biggest flaw i find is the lack of flexibility - probably less of an issue for outside lights. But i found when using it in a hallway that if i set lights to come on at sunset, if it was a dull rainy day then it'd be darker far before sunset. In the end i've just used HA outside of Hue to add more flexibility to the lights.

Soldato
That's about as best as you'll get with Hue. You can offset the sunset/sunrise times if you need it to start a bit earlier or later, but the biggest flaw i find is the lack of flexibility - probably less of an issue for outside lights. But i found when using it in a hallway that if i set lights to come on at sunset, if it was a dull rainy day then it'd be darker far before sunset. In the end i've just used HA outside of Hue to add more flexibility to the lights.

Yeah, I've offset the lights. We have some alexa plugs and done the same for inside.

What's HA?

Soldato
Has anyone got the Hue Smart-Plugs ? I have one that was being used to control a light , but now want to be able to set a timer and use it for a fan. Currently i have setup "Alexa , Turn the fan on / off" ... But can't seem to figure out how to set it up to be turned off after (x / variable) minutes have elapsed.

I.e. to say "Alexa, Turn the fan off in 10 minutes" or to actually set a 10 minute power-off timer in the app , without having to set an on and an off time, each time

Does that make sense? Any suggestions?

Look at sleep timer, I know when the wife plays sleep sounds on her Echo, she says "alexa set sleep timer 2 hours" after two hours it stops, guessing same could work for you

Back
Top Bottom