How do you listen to music?

Associate
All of my music is collected as MP3 files in iTunes rather than physical media. Prefer ownership and streaming services have never really appealed.

At home, listen via PC across a set of Edifier speakers. Portable, it's a modified 6th gen iPod classic. I still haven't found a device that comes close to the Classic. Had my original 80GB for about 12 years and a newer, larger one for the past 2 years, but I've maxed it out already. Very tempted to swing for a custom 512GB for the long haul, as I pick up new music at a rapid rate. Damn shame Apple took them out of production.

I don't listen to UK commercial radio at all, but do like the odd global exploration via RadioGarden: http://radio.garden/

Associate
Owning music with iTunes, isn't it a bit of a misnomer?

Didn't Bruce Willis challenge Apple over inheritance of his collection? Bruce asked if his kids could inherit his collection? I think the answer was a no! Might be wrong, as I haven't googled the story.

Always have a radio on, listen to TalkRadio in the background, speech radio has ended up my mainstay, working from home, TV or own music, ends up too distracting.
Music, streaming via Spotify, YouTube occasionally.
I have looked into collecting CD's and Vinyl, whilst its great browsing through friends collections, I am not sure its for me, already have a few books on shelves, so adding another for CD's and Vinyl, not sure. Have a few vinyl at my parents which I keep meaning to retrieve one day, I fear the day I do, it will spark an impulse purchase of a turntable!
Listening to music, via PC across devices, or logging into Spotify via stereo etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Owning music with iTunes, isn't it a bit of a misnomer?

The MP3 files themselves are purchased elsewhere, stored on my PC's SSD and also backed up to two further external drives. They are collated in iTunes for use with the Classic (and I'm quite attached to it's interface), but not bought through iTunes itself.

Associate
The MP3 files themselves are purchased elsewhere, stored on my PC's SSD and also backed up to two further external drives. They are collated in iTunes for use with the Classic (and I'm quite attached to it's interface), but not bought through iTunes itself.

Ahh, understood, very wise. :)

Soldato
Generally spotify for playlists but you cant beat youtube for discovering some great/new tracks that you wouldn't normally listen to, spotify seems to just suggest album fillers from artists (or similar artists) you've added to your playlist.

Soldato
I have a tiny CD collection ripped to flac and a few mp3/m4a files bought from amazon/itunes. I use foobar2000 on the pc at home and gonemad music player on my phone (whole collection is on microSDXC card - yep, it really is that small :o).

I don't stream anything.

Winamp is still my main player, so another +1 for Winamp here. Has been since 1999, back in the days when it was Winamp vs Sonique! I still use a 2.x skin as I prefer that over the fancier 3.x skins.

My MP3 collection is a mixture of ripped CDs, plus amateur/unsigned bands from Soundclick, Freeplay Music, YouTube Music Library. Also, music from the now-defunct MP3.com where I still have unsigned music from 1999-2003.

I also share a friends/family account on Spotify and use that as a curator for music recommendations.

Soldato
Previously: On my yacht with a set of Yamaha NX-N500s monitors.

Now: via YouTube on the tv or phone with Bose QC2.

Bit of a fall from grace. ;)

Nah, mostly MP3 on in Mac Music, then through whatever is available. Thinking about getting a Naim Muso QB MKII. Previously trialled Apple Music. I thought it was terrible. Only used it to play national hits for the Frenchie girl onboard.

Associate
I have a large physical collection with 750 vinyl albums, 400 vinyl singles, 2000 CD albums and singles with a few cassettes

Hi-Fi - one turntable for 7" & 12" singles and another turntable for 12" albums / DAB for radio
PC - FLAC and MP3 files ripped from my CD collection played through MusicBee with amp and speakers
Phone - FLAC files on SD card
NAS - FLAC and MP3 for network use and backup

I do not download or stream much - a bit old fashioned I suppose

Soldato
99% of the time Spotify Premium over Bluetooth. Be it headphones, earphones, home stereo klipsch setup or H/K system in the MINI.

I love the convenience of Bluetooth and Spotify.

I still have a good 200GB of mp3 and flac files on my PC.

Soldato
I have Lp's and a turntable, recordings are mainly from a few years either side of 1971. ;)
I do listen to Spotify, Internet radio stations.
DAB radio, Boom radio for easy listening, Jazz FM for different tunes.

Soldato
I have a few thousand albums in FLAC format on their own hard drive, which are played through JRiver Media Center and for anything I haven't got I use Amazon Music Unlimited HD

Associate
I actually listen to a lot of music.
Amazon music Hd when I'm at home. I listen to via my pc with Xonar Essence STX II 7.1 using both speakers and headphones
Spotify when I'm out and about or on the way to work or on my back home from work.(i use Bluetooth noise-canceling earbuds) on my Samsung galaxy s21 ultra.
I also have a very large collection of FLAC files.

Back
Top Bottom