Poll: UEFA Euro 2020 Final Italy v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 11th July 2021]

Shall we lock this thread for the 90 minutes the game is on?

• Yes

Votes: 94 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
England played 6 home games (Wembley)
is this normal in your opinion?
I saw many videos, the whistles of the Italian anthem, the Italian flags trampled, the players did not shake hands after the fouls, during the award ceremony the English players and the staff left the stadium before the Italian award ceremony, the confetti was white and not tricolor (the English staff had only put the white ones because they were convinced that they would win).
You lost your fair play I'm sorry to say
However, rest assured that the trophy is in good hands

The smallest dog always barks the loudest. You get used to it living here in England.

Soldato
We absolutely do not, I understand the reasons and that's fine but free speech, no way.

Hell we don't even have it on any bulletin board.

you absolutely do otherwise you wouldn't be able to freely call the government and the opposition MP's cretins without going to jail. Try that in China and then come back and tell us there is no free speech in the UK. The problem in the UK is that people don't like the fact that there are consequences and want to be able to spout any bile they like and not get challenged if it is offensive, a lie or just outright nonsense. With freedoms come responsbilities and people tend to forget that part very quickly.

Soldato
Our “whole midfield” consisted of 2 holding midfielders, of course they were in defensive mode that’s what they do, that’s their game. You can’t seem to grasp that we started with a setup that was always going to allow a team to control the game in midfield. If you don’t start that way the entire flow of the game could’ve been different.

Subs, tactics, formation changes change a flow of the game literally all the time. Hard to educate someone who doesn’t seem to understand the basics.

I really don't see how you are finding so difficult to understand, or maybe you are just being obtuse, not sure.

Had we not played with 2 defensive midfielders and instead, for example, played one (either Rice or Phillips - it matters not) and Mount and Bellingham (again for example) alongside them, matched up with Italy's 3 in midfield do you think your midfield would have had as much time on the ball and therefore as much possession? That's the point England's whole midfield didn't have to play defence last night had we played a different way.

We are saying, or at least I am, we DIDN'T play to our strengths. Our defence is not our strength. Again, not sure how that is difficult to understand. We have some of the best attacking talent in Euorpe, how is playing defensive playing to our strengths? As I said previous I understand why Southgate did it, to cover for a weaker area of the team, but I personally don't feel that was the best way forward.

I didn't say Italy struggled all the way to the final; I said they struggled to beat Wales, Austria & Belgium - is that not correct either?

Wales was an energy conserving game as they were already through, feel free to check the stats, Belgium, 2-0 up most of the game is a struggle, nope, they were all hard games as was Austria.

Spain, was tough, due to the defensive chasing, England knows about that.

I'm not being obtuse or don't understand, or need educated, I simply do not agree with some of the narative of we should have went on the offensive.

Jim Bowen 'Here's what you could have won'

Priceless.

Soldato
Italy were a very difficult opponent, but we had them on the ropes and should have made it count, Southgate has no energy and dynamism which was needed for that second half. Did we have a shot on goal?

Anyway they got close enough to show it was possible, won't get another chance for a long while.

Soldato
I saw many videos, the whistles of the Italian anthem, the Italian flags trampled, the players did not shake hands after the fouls, during the award ceremony the English players and the staff left the stadium before the Italian award ceremony, the confetti was white and not tricolor (the English staff had only put the white ones because they were convinced that they would win).

You obviously havent watched the videos as Phillips and Henderson both stayed behind but carry on

Man of Honour
I'm not being obtuse or don't understand, or need educated, I simply do not agree with some of the narative of we should have went on the offensive.

So what you're saying is you don't believe England has a team strong enough to keep the ball against Italy for any sustained period of time no matter what they do? Even the Italians would disagree with you there.

Tactics matter in football, the fact you think they don't suggests you don't really know much about it, frankly.

A bit like how Rangers absolutely trounced and embarrassed Celtic when they historically haven't? How can that happen!

Soldato
So what you're saying is you don't believe England has a team strong enough to keep the ball against Italy for any sustained period of time no matter what they do? Even the Italians would disagree with you there.

Tactics matter in football, the fact you think they don't suggests you don't really know much about it, frankly.

A bit like how Rangers absolutely trounced and embarrassed Celtic when they historically haven't? How can that happen!

If I agree with the narative thats alright Jack, I have a grasp on tactics, but because I don't agree I don't have a clue?

Rangers embarrassed Celtic, hammered us this year, it happens, what's the 'historically haven't' bit meant to mean?

Man of Honour
If I agree with the narative thats alright Jack, I have a grasp on tactics, but because I don't agree I don't have a clue?

You can think what you like, but you've been effectively downplaying the importance of tactics/systems etc.

Rangers embarrassed Celtic, hammered us this year, it happens, what's the 'historically haven't' bit meant to mean?

That in recent history it's been a one team league...

Soldato

How can you not agree that changing personel and formation/tactics could have changed the game. I'm mind blown.

It's like saying playing 4atb isn't as effective at defending as 5atb.

That Italian team was easily beatable not just by us either, they were the best of 2 average sides.

Soldato
How can you not agree that changing personel and formation/tactics could have changed the game. I'm mind blown.

It's like saying playing 4atb isn't as effective at defending as 5atb.

That Italian team was easily beatable not just by us either, they were the best of 2 average sides.

You can think what you like, but you've been effectively downplaying the importance of tactics/systems etc.

That in recent history it's been a one team league...

I'm downplaying, you can all wonder what you want, that you could have changed your system and you would have won, you could have got beaten by more too, that's what I'm saying, it's 2 way mate, the other teams job is to adapt too, but no, I don't have a clue and I've to agree that a hypothetical outcome would have won the day for England-bravissimo!

The balance of power changes in Scotland, historically it bounces between them, Celtic as a plc club done what they always do, stay in profit regardless the outcome.

They were the better team in the League by a country mile.

Man of Honour
I'm downplaying, you can all wonder what you want, that you could have changed your system and you would have won, you could have got beaten by more too, that's what I'm saying, it's 2 way mate, the other teams job is to adapt too, but no, I don't have a clue and I've to agree that a hypothetical outcome would have won the day for England-bravissimo!

Absolutely it works both ways, but I'm just trying to convey the frustration that people have that we didn't really try and attack Italy properly.

Maybe we would have been counter attacked and lost anyway, but I'd rather we tried that than the penalty lottery, which we were always going to lose.

I watch Man Utd every week, we're blessed with an out of his depth manager who has no clue what he's doing as well :p

Soldato
Yes they are easily beatable. It's not the best side ive ever seen like your clearly making out. For the first 45th minutes you did nothing and looked lost. The goal scored was just a scramble too.

Austria took you to extra time, you beat Spain on Penalties, you beat England on Penalties. It's no trouncing, just run of the green.

Let's not forget you cheated for a goal against Belgium too.

The unbeaten in 30 games too, 20+ of them are farmers.

Soldato

Sorry for not shaking your hand bro, I'm not playing fair today.

i2QUy47.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom