Clarkson's Farm

SPG

SPG

Soldato
He is a great TV presenter in his own right up their with Attenborough different shows but just as good, he will be missed when he is off screen.

Soldato
Yeah, always liked his stuff. It got quite tiring with the Top Gear trio, and that made me not bother with The Grand Tour.
In this show, there’s still the standard antics to get some laughs, but seemed a lot more genuine.

Baz

Baz

Soldato
Don't forget his documentary on the Arctic Convoys.
Or the Greatest Raid of All in St Nazaire.

It did seem to start off with his usual "how hard can it be" but very quickly became an honest documentary, Kaleb is brilliant, Cheerful Charlie soon brings him down to earth though. Might have to watch it again!

Soldato
Enjoyed all of this. The Goodfellas montage in the last episode was a fun touch.

Kaleb was a great foil to Jezza: someone a third of his age with a hundred times more experience and no qualms about calling him an idiot.

Soldato
I really enjoyed this. I assume most of it true, it certainly opened my eyes to the plight of the farmer. My garden backs on to a farm and he’s been working hard recently in his field, I feel like going and giving him a beer!

Soldato
I’m not sure what they’d make a second season about?

It would be very similar to the first but clarkson would be slightly less inept as his done it for a year. You could see him getting into it as the series progressed.

Soldato
To be honest, I would watch a second season of him being 100% serious on his farming. Visiting markets, buy stock, the troubles of logistics, anything like that. Yeah chuck a few jokes in and set pieces etc but concentrate on the farm and progression. He has a massive following and it may even help some younger generations take up farming or even helping out during school holidays. I would love to help out on a farm now all because of this series.

Soldato
To be honest, I would watch a second season of him being 100% serious on his farming. Visiting markets, buy stock, the troubles of logistics, anything like that. .

The chances of that are pretty much zero as much as I would enjoy some actual serious programming. Almost NO TV these days is of a serious nature. It's all hammed up for the laughs. ineptness is celebrated, failure is worshipped.

And for a continuing serious it almost always goes downhill. Look at the calls to 'make calin (or whatever his name is) a celeb. He needs his 'own show' etc etc.

Look at apprentice S1, hotel inpsector S1, kitchen nightmares S1, wife swap S1, hell even big brother S1. All these shows were actually uniquely interesting subsequent series really just create a spectacle for viewers, false controversy over produced, rote /cheap programming.

This farm series has been alright, i enjoyed watching it but they could have layed off the stupidness and made a better show.

I just wanna add in, look at the fred dibnah series (its on youtube,), the original one that follows him round looks at his work etc. It's a fascinating story and a look into the behind the scenes of traditional work. It's kinda dry but actually in a good, way, it's more akin to what should have been produced here. Can you imagine if that series had been hammed up the way they d these days?

Soldato
Loved the show, watched it with the Mrs and we both laughed at it and I actually found it rather interesting learning some stuff I never really thought I would care about lol.

I like Clarkson, sure he plays the numpty card a bit too often but I found in this show he often seemed closer to his actual self than the "Jezza" character.

His Mrs is one tolerant woman, she came over very likeable also in the show.

Fred Dibnah, I watched that many years ago when he took his family on "holiday" to sit in a land rover and watch him knocking down a chimney, it shouldn't have been brilliant telly but it was.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The chances of that are pretty much zero as much as I would enjoy some actual serious programming. Almost NO TV these days is of a serious nature. It's all hammed up for the laughs. ineptness is celebrated, failure is worshipped.

That's because success is always portrayed as you have to be a complete and utter arse, no matter the cost to anyone else but you.

Man of Honour

And for a continuing serious it almost always goes downhill. Look at the calls to 'make calin (or whatever his name is) a celeb. He needs his 'own show' etc etc.

Look at apprentice S1, hotel inpsector S1, kitchen nightmares S1, wife swap S1, hell even big brother S1. All these shows were actually uniquely interesting subsequent series really just create a spectacle for viewers, false controversy over produced, rote /cheap programming.

This farm series has been alright, i enjoyed watching it but they could have layed off the stupidness and made a better show.

I just wanna add in, look at the fred dibnah series (its on youtube,), the original one that follows him round looks at his work etc. It's a fascinating story and a look into the behind the scenes of traditional work. It's kinda dry but actually in a good, way, it's more akin to what should have been produced here. Can you imagine if that series had been hammed up the way they d these days?

Thats an interesting viewpoint and when you list those shows above, theres an obvious one which is even linked with Clarkson. Top Gear. Remember the early seasons of Top Gear? Which were full of useful actual car info and then compare it to the later seasons of the show where it had changed from being informative to being about the laughs.

Soldato
Do you remember how many viewers the original top gear got compared to the entertainment version?

There in lies the issue with making a program which reportedly cost millions to produce. They need people to actually watch it across the globe. They paid Clarkson £5m alone didn’t they?

The entertainment version of top gear was sold across the globe and made a fortune. The early era of top gear had limited relevance outside the U.K.

Back
Top Bottom