Poll: UEFA Euro 2020 Final Italy v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 11th July 2021]

Shall we lock this thread for the 90 minutes the game is on?

• Yes

Votes: 94 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Wales was an energy conserving game as they were already through, feel free to check the stats, Belgium, 2-0 up most of the game is a struggle, nope, they were all hard games as was Austria.

Spain, was tough, due to the defensive chasing, England knows about that.

I'm not being obtuse or don't understand, or need educated, I simply do not agree with some of the narative of we should have went on the offensive.

Jim Bowen 'Here's what you could have won'

Priceless.

Just because you were 2-0 up doesn't mean it wasn't a struggle.

I hadn't mentioned Spain, well, because Spain should, and would have won, had they have a forward player or two who could finish.

You won't agree with the narative of had England played a different game the could have won because it won't matter to you.

Soldato
Yes they are easily beatable. It's not the best side ive ever seen like your clearly making out. For the first 45th minutes you did nothing and looked lost. The goal scored was just a scramble too.

Austria took you to extra time, you beat Spain on Penalties, you beat England on Penalties. It's no trouncing, just run of the green.

Let's not forget you cheated for a goal against Belgium too.

The unbeaten in 30 games too, 20+ of them are farmers.

Easily beatable, tell that to Spain, Belgium, Austria, England.

England are farmers now, that's harsh?

Soldato
Just because you were 2-0 up doesn't mean it wasn't a struggle.

I hadn't mentioned Spain, well, because Spain should, and would have won, had they have a forward player or two who could finish.

You won't agree with the narative of had England played a different game the could have won because it won't matter to you.

Should, could have won Spain what?

Soldato
Absolutely it works both ways, but I'm just trying to convey the frustration that people have that we didn't really try and attack Italy properly.

Maybe we would have been counter attacked and lost anyway, but I'd rather we tried that than the penalty lottery, which we were always going to lose.

I watch Man Utd every week, we're blessed with an out of his depth manager who has no clue what he's doing as well :p

Thats exactly what I've been trying to drum through, Italy are no mugs, no one can beat them for a reason.

Soldato
It's clear where the English frustration comes from - we had a good start to the game and were showing that we could put the Italians under pressure, stifle their play and make things difficult for them - there was a sign of a game that could be won. And then it stopped. We could see that there was a route to potentially being able to win that game, if we'd taken the game to the opposition, rather than letting them bring their game to us for so long without responding.

If Italy had taken a hiding for the entire first half, they'd not have simply come back and tried to carry on as they were.

We saw from the start of the game that a lot of the Italian team were uncomfortable getting pressed and having players run at them, so when you've got Grealish, Sancho, Rashford and Saka all on the bench, why are we waiting until 70/75 minutes in, only to throw Saka and Henderson into the mix?

It felt like a total lack of ambition and an unwillingness to even try and play for the win. I think whilst people wouldn't have been happy, plenty would rather have seen us lose out to a second goal on the counter whilst we really tried to push for the win, as at least we'd have been giving it a go.

On the flip side, if we'd carried on like the start of the game, Mancini may have changed things up in a different manner - but that's exactly what we're frustrated about, Southgate's unwillingness to change it up and try something different when it was clear by the end of the first half that we were just going to be pinned back and we'd be hanging on.

Soldato
So are England better cheaters because they managed to win a penalty? I'm just trying to get to grips what the standards are.
Every team has an element of this, let's not pretend any team is squeaky clean.

Soldato
Even then people can't agree. I recall Micah and Linekar having this discussion (I forget the game) one was saying something was cheating, the other said it was clever play.
Could be an endless debate in some cases.

Associate
England didn't decide the stadiums, UEFA did years ago. Are you actually blaming England for a decision completely out of the countries control? LOL
Players not shaking hands after fouls? WHAT who does that normally?
its pretty typical for the losing team to collect their medals and get out off the pitch
white confetti? you have ZERO evidence to back up your wild claim. and im pretty sure the stadium have nothing to do with closing ceremony as its all run by UEFA staff.

Its like you live in your own little reality bubble. Its nice to see you not mention the biggest foul of the whole game by Giorgio Chiellini with a move thats even banned in the NFL as its considered so dangerous. but muh lets talk about fair play from only one perspective.

Chiellini's gesture was not only the result of discouragement or a frustration foul. But a calculated risk: he knew that the referee would give the yellow card, he also knew that in that delicate moment of the match he absolutely had to stop the opponent's restart. And he did it. A simple tactical foul.
Mourinho's words: "When he commits that foul, Chiellini knows what he is doing. He is a great defender and a very intelligent boy - -. He and Bonucci are very strong. When I faced Juventus with Manchester United I said to myself: these two boys should go to the University of Sport and give lessons on how to play as a central defender. "

Soldato
Chiellini's gesture was not only the result of discouragement or a frustration foul. But a calculated risk: he knew that the referee would give the yellow card, he also knew that in that delicate moment of the match he absolutely had to stop the opponent's restart. And he did it. A simple tactical foul.
Mourinho's words: "When he commits that foul, Chiellini knows what he is doing. He is a great defender and a very intelligent boy - -. He and Bonucci are very strong. When I faced Juventus with Manchester United I said to myself: these two boys should go to the University of Sport and give lessons on how to play as a central defender. "

"tactical fouling" is cheating. Pulling the back of someone's shirt so it chokes them is a red card.

Associate
Soldato
No we don't, we have the authoritarian communications act, where people are sometimes investigated/arrested/charged for being "offensive".

wrong thread for this, but anyway...... are you a little slow ? The whole people sometimes being investigates / charged etc is the responsbility part that comes with free speech. The fact that you cannot understand that allows me to excercise my free speech in calling you an idiot, for which I will happily accept the responsibility and consequences that a Don will now likely show me a redcard on this thread.

Soldato
Cheating is cheating, some teams cheat more than others.

Immobile rolling around in the box, Aldwiereld stopping play because of it, Italy score immobile gets straight back up to celebrate.
Quite right, Kane falls clutching his face in the box, rolling about, while at the same time Grealish gets shot outside the box, rolling about, England get possesion, both get back up and run into position, but nothing mentioned, thats ok coz it's England, but if it was Spain or Italy...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom