Greta Thunberg

Man of Honour
I don't believe in using PC hardware for mining, one of the reasons being the waste of electricity doing something purely for financial gain.

I think I am in the minority even in this thread.

Caporegime
I don't believe in using PC hardware for mining, one of the reasons being the waste of electricity doing something purely for financial gain.

You're not alone!

Cryptominging appears to me to be one of the worst things ever invented by humans.

Permabanned
Yeah but that's the thing. If a person on average income in this country is supposedly in the top 1% of earners globally, then the vast majority don't have even one car, one computer, one TV.

So it seems very, very unlikely that it would be possible for everybody to have such things. Even just one in their lifetime, without rocketing global consumption levels.

The idea that if we wasted less, everybody (globally) could share the same Western lifestyle just doesn't seem to add up.

If everybody was to share the same standard of living (globally) it would mean ditching a lot of what we regard as pretty basic luxuries (e.g. your TV).

The argument here is not about this - but about how to decrease the emissions and who exactly and how they contribute the most.

If only we could reuse our old PC cases, motherboards, old smartphones, etc, without throwing them in the trash...

Permabanned
We are at a pivotal moment in the world’s response to the climate and biodiversity emergencies and we are the last generation that can still act in time. This decade is a make-or-break moment for delivering on our commitments under the Paris Agreement, in the interest of the health, wellbeing and prosperity of all. The EU has led by example in setting ambitious targets for reducing net emissions by at least 55% by 2030 compared to 1990 and for being the first climate neutral continent by 2050.

chapeau_communication.pdf (europa.eu)

Soldato
I learnt today that 50-80% of the Earths oxygen comes from sea plankton. How about that? Global warming may not be so bad after all. Flood the lands, kill the humans, add more O2?

Associate
I learnt today that 50-80% of the Earths oxygen comes from sea plankton. How about that? Global warming may not be so bad after all. Flood the lands, kill the humans, add more O2?

Are you confident that the loss of green land will be MORe than offset by flooding land and killing humans (flashbacks to Bender from Futurama with "Kill All Humans!") ??

Associate
I guess at that stage, who really cares? :cry::cool:

A few years ago I did wonder if a global pandemic (a la Survivors 1970s TV series) might be the best thing for the planet as human beings (and politicians particularly) seem unable/unwilling to fix their "issues" but I'd definitely prefer we fixed this ourselves

Soldato
In passing Brian Cox is someone who has just been built up by the BBC to be something he is not. He's a not a climatologist or indeed educated in most of the things he makes comment on. That, of course, is just fine, unless he is presented by the BBC as some sort of expert, which he is not. He is a particle physicist, and not even a very good one, which means he's pretty useless at everything. He is no more qualified as you to start sprouting facts about Global Warming.

to be fair he was a pretty good keyboard player for D-REAM. Remember meeting him in bradford university when D-REAM headed the freshers ball.

Soldato
In passing Brian Cox is someone who has just been built up by the BBC to be something he is not. He's a not a climatologist or indeed educated in most of the things he makes comment on. That, of course, is just fine, unless he is presented by the BBC as some sort of expert, which he is not. He is a particle physicist, and not even a very good one, which means he's pretty useless at everything. He is no more qualified as you to start sprouting facts about Global Warming.

Yet despite everything you say, I'd wager he's doing better than you...

I'd say burn her with fire, but then that wouldn't be the carbon neutral option

Genuine lol

Man of Honour
A few years ago I did wonder if a global pandemic (a la Survivors 1970s TV series) might be the best thing for the planet as human beings (and politicians particularly) seem unable/unwilling to fix their "issues" but I'd definitely prefer we fixed this ourselves
Maybe viruses are the earth's protection against overpopulation damaging it. The thinner the herd then the less impact a virus has. But bigger herds get decimated by pandemics. Throughout history pandemics have thinned us out. But the problem now is we have enough understanding and technology to limit the impact of it and to create vaccines.

Soldato
Maybe viruses are the earth's protection against overpopulation damaging it. The thinner the herd then the less impact a virus has. But bigger herds get decimated by pandemics. Throughout history pandemics have thinned us out. But the problem now is we have enough understanding and technology to limit the impact of it and to create vaccines.

not really, we just got lucky with the current pandemic that it was not particularly lethal. Take Ebola as an example. Scientists were working on candidate vaccines since the early 90's and it wasn't until around 2014 that they actually managed to succeed. Most of that is due to Pharma not being arsed in developing somethng that would cost billions for a disease that impacted 3rd world countries who likely couldn't afford to pay. The only reasons the vaccine really made it in the end is when the USA starting to **** a brick as they had imported cases from africa.

It's pretty much the same as the climate change issue, none of the developed world leaders can really be ****** because it costs money and they won't get anything from it. The human race basically deserves extinction due to it's inability to not be a race of selfish narcisitic *****.

Permabanned
Yet despite everything you say, I'd wager he's doing better than you...

A. You don't know that.
B. So? Trump is doing better than me, but that doesn't stop him being an idiot.

Well, that's a very unfair comparison. I don't actually have anything against Brian, I just don't like the way the BBC is constantly trying to sell him as something he is not.
The BBC in the past have found some real characters for their presenters. David Attenborough and Patrick Moore for example. These people go far beyond being "just" presenters. But typical BBC they want to rinse and repeat. They are trying to force Brian in to bigger shoes ~ make him an authority on all things science, which he most certainly is not. He is not a climate scientist, he is not an astronomer. I am tired of the BBC making headlines like "Brian says this...." when he is not qualified in that field. Attenborough and Moore were experts in the field they commented on, Brian, invariably, is not.

Associate
She does, says and knows nothing more than any school kid studying Geography, and every such kid with a passion for the subject would be just as vocal about global warming as she is.

It hardly matters at all what developed countries do when China / India / Brazil keep pumping out as much pollution as they do, and what do we think is yet to happen once Africa reaches full industrialization?

Caporegime

That leaves everything in place though to pollute and go wrong.

I think an abandoned human civilization would definitely be worse

Back
Top Bottom