LG C1 OLED as a monitor

Soldato
From hardware unboxed: "The LG C1 absolutely destroys LCD gaming monitors in performance, motion handling, latency, pixel transitions, overshoot, general image quality, HDR and contrast.

It is also the true and only gaming screen that has real 1ms Pixel latency, unlike the misleading or fake numbers LCD's use along with the lowest Input latency we've ever measured"

Last edited:
Soldato
Just simply too big for a desk monitor.

One day these will be 27" or max I might be willing to ever go for a desk monitor is 32"

Plus if you paying these prices for this technology it dam better be superior to LCD

It comes across like your suprised?

Soldato
OP

One day these will be 27" or max I might be willing to ever go for a desk monitor is 32"

Plus if you paying these prices for this technology it dam better be superior to LCD

It comes across like your suprised?

Except that there are gaming LCD screens like the Asus PG32UQX that are smaller and more expensive. And that's not the only one - there are other gaming lcd screens more expensive

Soldato
Except that there are gaming LCD screens like the Asus PG32UQX that are smaller and more expensive. And that's not the only one - there are other gaming lcd screens more expensive
give a product a gamer tag and the price goes up, plenty mugs out there pay that pay it..
i bought a 48" CX despite the drawbacks of its size and fears of burn in helped on by the sky high prices of new gpu's atm
get a 3090 or one of these and turn down some settings for me won hands down, still love the image Q on these screens!

Associate
give a product a gamer tag and the price goes up, plenty mugs out there pay that pay it..
i bought a 48" CX despite the drawbacks of its size and fears of burn in helped on by the sky high prices of new gpu's atm
get a 3090 or one of these and turn down some settings for me won hands down, still love the image Q on these screens!

I was wondering since you own one, is it possible to shrink the output display size to like a 24" or 27" (so basically have big fat blacks around the image)?

Caporegime
Actually his conclusion was that it's a great monitor for media consumption.

He went on to say it was a "poor choice" for a general desktop monitor.

Size was a factor (too large), as was burn-in. Additionally, a lot of the built-in features to fight burn-in proved to be annoyances when used as a monitor. Such as pixel shift and the automatic brightness limiter.

I think we all know OLED wipes the floor with LCD, but there exists not yet a one-size-fits-all solution for a desktop monitor.

Soldato
I think we all know OLED wipes the floor with LCD, but there exists not yet a one-size-fits-all solution for a desktop monitor.
These screens apparently show up stutter over an LCD. That would be too annoying for games.

I'm happy at 24-27" as bigger means not being able to see everything on screen without moving your head around, at least when it comes to FPS etc with monitor being arms length or closer.

Better pixel density on a smaller screen as well.

Soldato
sorry i have no idea how or if it is possible to do that
I think you can do it through the Nvidia control panel, make sure scaling is done on the GPU and turn off scaling. Then select a lower resolution like 1440P and you should get a smaller centred image with black bars around it.

Last edited:
Associate
I think you can do it through the Nvidia control panel, make sure scaling is done on the GPU and turn off scaling.

It would be a nice workaround if possible since black emit no light on a OLED anyway (I think) so it's be like having a small monitor when needed.

I was recently using a 1080p 32" Sony TV as my monitor but it's just too big since my desk only allows me to sit about 65cm away from the screen, even lowering the brightness and white light to warm it was still straining my eyes after a while, looked great though.

Soldato
It would be a nice workaround if possible since black emit no light on a OLED anyway (I think) so it's be like having a small monitor when needed.

I was recently using a 1080p 32" Sony TV as my monitor but it's just too big since my desk only allows me to sit about 65cm away from the screen, even lowering the brightness and white light to warm it was still straining my eyes after a while, looked great though.
I was planning to get this TV and in more demanding games I would use it like a 1440P monitor with black bars around the image. I hope it is possible.

Soldato
Yes that works, you can even setup custom ultra wide resolutions like 3440x1440 or 3840x1620. And nothing stopping you from just running stuff in a window and just leaving desktop background as all black and thus pixels off.

Caporegime

In your opinion, most big screen lovers will disagree (but you DO need a desk at least 80cm deep imo, they can be a bit overwhelming otherwise).

The great news is that these work fantastically well with both the AMD 6000-series and the Nv 3000's :cool:

My only complaint is with the glossy coating, but I'm trying my hardest to forgive it!!

Caporegime
Its a bit on the kong size for me but my next screen will be something like this. As shanks said 32" is about the sweet spot in size for me otherwise I would have to rethink the whole bench setup and wall which is not a deal breaker but impractical.

I can't go down to a 32" now, I've tried!!! :D

Also the clarity of oled is just on another planet in comparison to traditional lcd screens...

Caporegime
In your opinion, most big screen lovers will disagree (but you DO need a desk at least 80cm deep imo, they can be a bit overwhelming otherwise).

The great news is that these work fantastically well with both the AMD 6000-series and the Nv 3000's :cool:

My only complaint is with the glossy coating, but I'm trying my hardest to forgive it!!
Well it's perhaps not really just opinion. Big screens are designed to be sat further away from, as you acknowledge.

Most desks are not deep enough that you could be far enough away. Desks aren't designed for the big-screen experience. They are designed so that everything is within arm's reach. That is typically what you want from a desk.

So really a 48" TV isn't really desk material, unless you have an abnormally deep desk. I think we should be realistic and acknowledge that the primary use for screens such as the C1 is not sat on a desk, but in a living room being used as a TV, with sufficient distance between the user and the TV.

Soldato
I have 1440p OLED on my laptop and its great.

I cant wait until it becomes cheaper and more easily available in more products.

Back
Top Bottom