Dealership - is this normal practice?

Associate
what i find is on the increase nowadays are the small car sales who just take main dealer part exs and dont do anything to them except try to retail them..... they usually havent got a clue about the vehicle some dont even clean them its really silly.
went through about 15 years of not buying vehicles from garages or private sellers, just bought salvage and either repaired myself or had them repaired if damage was too much, figured people dont usually set off on a journey with the intention of getting there vehicle smashed up:) and 99% of the time was proved right ..(however always one slips through , but thats another story:) )

Soldato
OP
Took the old Yaris into a dealership and asked for a part-ex value, £400 less than WBAC who we know provide a lower value. The dealership also added on their "standard delivery" package and some other stuff. So undercut us by £400 and added on another £1000 worth of guff.

Told them to take off the £1000 additions, but that we were still a million miles away from a deal as we haven't even haggled on the asking price yet! They also said that the used car market is booming and used cars are holding their value - shame that didn't apply when pricing ours!

Soldato
OP
Well, took the car in and their part ex went from £1400 to £2k on the car we wanted. Test drove the new car and signed today, pick up later in the week. The new car didn't even make it to being advertised before we bought it :)

Ta all.

Man of Honour
The main thing that annoys me about dealers is that the sales people are not actually authorised to make sales, even in car supermarkets where there is no negotiation on price. You always end up with ‘let me go and confirm this with the boss’ which is just annoying at least but sometimes it’s an utterly frustrating process.
TBH I always assumed this was part of a 'good cop, bad cop' chirade used to handle negotiations whereby the salesman is your friend fighting your corner, but his hands are tied and just can't move on price because the boss won't have it. Based on this thread though it sounds like maybe it really is necessary afterall due to regulations!

Soldato
Traders that advertise cars for sale and when you contact them they say it's already sold but 3 days later it's still listed on AT etc. If it's sold then remove it!

Man of Honour
Kind of no incentive though is there, worst case they have someone phoning up to enquire about a car that is gone, if 5% of those calls can be persuaded to look at another motor they have, jobs a goodun'.

Man of Honour
Traders that advertise cars for sale and when you contact them they say it's already sold but 3 days later it's still listed on AT etc. If it's sold then remove it!
They do it to gauge the market interest in that type of car at that price, so can adjust accordingly next time.

Soldato
He did try to tell me about 2 other cars he had in stock for the same price but I'm not interested. I was after that make/model not any old random car. Funny how they aren't listed on AT though.

Soldato
They do it to gauge the market interest in that type of car at that price, so can adjust accordingly next time.

correct, the ad is already paid for so they let it run its due course. some traders will edit the ad if they get a similar model car and update the details so they dont have to pay for extra ad space.

Back
Top Bottom