Poll: British Grand Prix 2021, Silverstone - Race 10/23

Rate the 2021 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
DC made a decent point there, not sure it would help but I'd like to see it just to check.

Why not let the teams now make adjustments? Going into the race start with hopefully an answer to the reason they couldn't hang with the car infront?

Soldato
Careful I got told I was being too hasty when I was drawing those types of conclusions after the last race.. I agree myself but yeah some still live in hope, I guess if RB have some reliability issues it could close things up but most of the big teams are pretty reliable these days from what I can tell.

After the last few races I wasn’t convinced it was decided just yet. Things were still pretty close, then we had the street circuits where Merc tend to struggle (and Lewis threw away a ton of points in Baku), then RBR got lucky having two races in Austria where they had serious pace. I thought that if Merc were competitive here, we might see Lewis close up the gap and it would still be game-on. But if Max is going to be nine seconds ahead over race distance at a track like Silverstone, the writing is on the wall.

Maybe I’m being too pessimistic, we’re only half way through the season after all but it’s not looking good for Mercedes and Hamilton right now.

Associate
Can we have a poll for the sprint race qualifying?

I wanted to give it a shot but it was pretty boring, it's probably given the teams loads of good information for the race tomorrow about tyre deg and I'm less enthused for tomorrow now.

It was more of a chance for any missed opportunity in qually yesterday to even out over 17 laps as apart from Perez & Saintz incidents the rest of the field is in about it's right place.

Soldato
Sainz carved his way through. I think Pérez wrecked his tyres and possibly picked up some damage which is why he couldn't make it back through

Oh ok. Like i say i didn't get to see it live just read what happened. Not sure i want to watch the race tomorrow now though as i kind of feel like i already know the result...

Soldato
From the organisers perspective, I bet this got more viewers than the normal free practice sessions, so by that metric they'll no doubt decide it's an unmitigated success :p

Associate
From the organisers perspective, I bet this got more viewers than the normal free practice sessions, so by that metric they'll no doubt decide it's an unmitigated success :p

I would expect that for the first time a different format is tested, plus CH4 had it running live so no paywall or relying on highlights this evening.

Soldato
100% guaranteed to happen. And the new American overlords are all about those numbers. Plus the standard F1 Fan Voice fawning feedback will be positive I'm sure, so this will most likely be see scaled up introduction next year.

They will do absolutely everything to band-aid a solution instead of fixing the god damn aero issues with the cars. The FIA need to grow some balls and get rid of the teams involvement in the rule making process. They have too much of a vested interest in keeping things as they are when the have 100's of staff dedicated to aerodynamic work. They're not looking out for the good of the sport when they sit in on the new regulation meetings, they're looking out for themselves, and any advantage they can grab and the racing quality has steadily declined over the last 25 years because of it. Yes, the field is within 2s in qualifying pace so they claim 'it's the most competitive it's ever been!', but they cannot race each other at all.

The 2022 aero regs and the 2014 engine regs, and how they both were nerfed along the way to being ratified each time, just go to prove that.

Man of Honour
I liked that little sprint race they had, only trouble is it shows you what to expect from the main race tomorrow which kinda takes the shine off it

Associate
Can someone please tell me what the point of that was?

So now FP2 is worthless due to the far too restrictive parc ferme rules. The entire Qualifying session is effectively meaningless, as the cars will just move to the front in the sprint session based on race pace.

And now the race tomorrow is likely to be a procession as the cars are in race-pace order, with the exception of Sainz and Perez who had issues.

Whoop-de-*******-do.
Gives you a preview of whats to come tomorrow, if you dont fancy wasting your time :p. So you only waste the saturday.
Perhaps with the new cars/reguations next year, this format might be exciting (I hope).

Associate
Glad i didn’t bother wasting my time watching that live. Watched the first lap and fast forwarded to the end to see barely anything had changed.

Really hope something changes in 2022 to allow actual racing rather then overtakes in pitstops or sailing past on new tyres. If not, its the last year im bothering paying for Sky F1 to literally watch a couple laps at the start and fast forward to the end.

Soldato
Given the free choice for everyone tomorrow, I wonder just how many will start on the hardest compound, given the softest and medium blistered in the sprint race today.
I'd guess the blistering will happen on the hards too. Looking like it could be a two stop race, just to be safe with the tyres and to avoid a situation like last years race.

Soldato
Pointless race was pointless expect where it wasn't. Max has now extended his lead in the championship by a point. That used to be a 6th place and would decide championships. Now it's a fastest lap when you're more 30s behind the leader, or daft Sprint. The constructors is the same due to Perez's mishap.

Sprint can't work unless the tracks a more conducive to overtaking, and the cars are more even spec.

F1 needs to get back into European hands. There's a reason US sports do perform poorly around the world in terms of followers, spectators.

Caporegime
Given the free choice for everyone tomorrow, I wonder just how many will start on the hardest compound, given the softest and medium blistered in the sprint race today.
I think that’s really the only possible redeeming factor, seeing a possible mix of tyres at the front. Now watch as everyone in the top 5 goes for the medium.

Soldato
Decided I'd watch it and all it actually showed me was that
1) the tyres (and maybe aero) need to be changed if they want 'harder racing'
2) There just isn't really enough speed difference between cars to do any real overtaking
3) anyone outside the top 2 teams might as well not bother and just set up for the race (that's what I would have done if I was in say mclaren/ferrari etc)
4) The ultimate result was no different to usual, there was no shake up etc....the fastest car(s) got the points
5) Basically as it stands it was basically pointless to do.

Honestly I'd rather they change sprint race to an 'up and comers' race or something, get each team to make a third car (or get the FIA to make 10 of their model) which is only for the sprint race, use a third team member such as the test driver or a junior or even use it a way to promote up and coming talent and/or diversity from 'under privileged' or 'under represented' communities. Basically something that is a bit 'different' to just watching a shorter version of the main race and doesn't use any of the main drivers/crew etc. Increase the budget accordingly obviously.

Transmission breaker
Don
That was brilliant!
We got to see a normal qually session on Friday and some fantastic racing on a Sat, before the full fat race tomorrow!
What is there not to like?
I really do not get what you could not have liked about that sprint race?!

Soldato
That was brilliant!
We got to see a normal qually session on Friday and some fantastic racing on a Sat, before the full fat race tomorrow!
What is there not to like?
I really do not get what you could not have liked about that sprint race?!

I get the feeling most people on here will never be happy with it, it's a constant moan about things. I don't know why half even watch it with how bad they claim it is.

I really enjoyed it!

Back
Top Bottom