Completely stumped as to why every device and TV keeps pausing

Caporegime
Broadband - 500MB or thereabouts.

Router - ubiquity set up with 2 access points and several switches

Downstairs TV LG with a new Google Chromecast TV the 4k hdr model new one.

Upstairs TV Sony with newest Nvidia shield pro.

If I'm watching YouTube or Amazon prime. It will suddenly freeze as in pause and then just keep pausing when I try and restart the video.

This happens on the TV's built in app. The attached media device. Both TV's across 4 different methods.

It's not the speed or buffering as it works fine for everything else.

I think it's Google home related I think it's pausing the devices and I'm tempted to remove them from my home but has anyone else had this issue?

Man of Honour
As a temporary test, run a long Ethernet cable to the TV and Nvidia and see how they do with streaming. If the problems on each goes away then it's a wireless issue. If still there then it's a broadband- or router- issue

Man of Honour
I had a similar problem with Plex streaming, even though everything was hard wired via gigabit LAN ports. Turns out it was my Sky Q boxes doing something weird while they were hard wired into the same switches. As soon as I stuck them back to wireless, the issue went away.

Caporegime
OP
Any devices around that could cause some kind of interference?

Across 4 different devices in 2 different rooms. Not that I know of.

As a temporary test, run a long Ethernet cable to the TV and Nvidia and see how they do with streaming. If the problems on each goes away then it's a wireless issue. If still there then it's a broadband- or router- issue

Nvidia shield is wired into powerline. All other devices are WiFi.

I noticed that it paused again when wife told the Google hub to stop streaming. She was viewing our internal nest cam we use as a baby monitor through WiFi.

I then retried to resume and it would pause after half a second no matter what and only a restart of the device made it go away.

I have now removed all streaming devices and both TV's off Google home and I'll report back in a week or so if it doesn't happen again.

Soldato
perhaps something to do with STP , which the virgin hub is known not to be able to process properly. Do you have any sonos product s ? Does google home use STP for communication with other devices in the network ?

Soldato
maybe youtube and Amazon both use AWS cloud services, versus other providers, and your IP provider(who?) is throttling them
does your router/IP provider specify dns service all the servers are using, try another ?

I'd use chromes developer tool/statistics to see where content is coming from, and look for fault codes.

Caporegime
OP
Okay it's definitely the nest devices and Google home causing it.

I'm streaming Celtic TV to Chromecast in living room.

She comes in and asks Google to stream the kids room camera to the 7" Google display we have in the living room also and as soon as she done that my stream stops. I can't unpause it. I have to restart the device then cast it again for it to stream and now both streams are working camera and football at the same time.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to set up a second WiFi and connect all the Google devices to that bar the Chromecast and smart TV stuff.

Caporegime
OP
Had to buy 2 x gen2 nest hubs until they patch this.

Ridiculous I'm forking out £100 (on offer would have been £180) to fix this but it looks like the nest doorbell is also causing the tv to freeze. luckily i wasn't in the middle of a footy match or I would have been livid

Back
Top Bottom