What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
County Lines - 8/10 - a very sobering look at the grooming of a young impressionable teen into drug dealing across county lines.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7156898/

Quite a hard watch in parts as it's not glammed up, the moments of violence are short, sharp and punctuated, the lead isn't a hero character, just a 'lost' kid who gets groomed into a bad situation. Left me feeling low for a while after as the situation it portrays isn't exactly rare.

The term 'county lines' describes the practice of using children to traffic drugs from cities to coastal towns and rural areas, an under-reported fact of modern British life. Inspired by the stories he heard while mentoring kids at an East London pupil referral unit, writer-director Henry Blake's powerful feature debut boasts a compelling central performance by Conrad Khan as 14-year-old Tyler, whose mum Toni (Ashley Madekwe) is struggling to provide for him and his sister. Excluded from school, Tyler becomes a train-bound narcotics courier for local criminal Simon, played with a calm menace by Harris Dickinson. County Lines (2019) depicts the ensuing cycle of debt, deceit and violent exploitation with a quiet stylistic confidence that's all the more haunting for being so rigorously unsentimental.

Associate
The Lost World: Jurassic Park - My least favourite of the original three. My youngest daughter enjoyed it, dinosaurs! 4/10

Jurassic Park III - It's fine, not great and not pants, just fine. Quite short, a good thing as my daughter was getting fidgety. 6/10

Associate
Horizon Line - 3/10

What the hell did I just watch LMAO.
This films defies all logic, terrible action and dialogue. It was so bad it was funny. I found myself laughing most of the way through it simply because of how bad it was.
It's just come out on Amazon Prime.

Man of Honour
County Lines - 8/10 - a very sobering look at the grooming of a young impressionable teen into drug dealing across county lines.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7156898/

Quite a hard watch in parts as it's not glammed up, the moments of violence are short, sharp and punctuated, the lead isn't a hero character, just a 'lost' kid who gets groomed into a bad situation. Left me feeling low for a while after as the situation it portrays isn't exactly rare.

Few years back I was out having a meal in the town I used to live in when stuff kicked off - drug deal involving the whole county lines thing gone bad and someone got stabbed - as we were walking home after the first incident we passed through a car park where a bunch of out of town people were gathering, reinforcements called in, with a single policeman observing them - he knew why they were there, they were taunting him because they knew there was nothing the police could really do at that point. After we were gone:

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/yeovil-blood-police-live-2052000

Caporegime
Joker

A weirdly grounded and sympathetic origin story for the iconic Batman character. Seen as a movie about the decline of a mentally ill man in an uncaring city, and a carefully crafted societal critique, it's a masterpiece. The acting is first class, the writing top drawer, and the direction on point.

Seen as a Batman villain origin story, I just don't think it works. The way it twists Batman's origin is missing key elements, the realistic look at Arkham Asylum surely makes Batman morally grey at best, and the grounded treatment of mental illness feels out of kilter with the four colour world origins of Batman and its grittier but still superhero genre reimaginings as well.

As a film in its own right: 10/10, as a Batman universe film: 6/10.

Man of Honour
Father (2020)

The film is very watchable but never really reaching greatness. However, Anthony Hopkins performance is easily deserving of his Oscar win and that alone makes the film worth seeing.

7/10

Soldato
Few years back I was out having a meal in the town I used to live in when stuff kicked off - drug deal involving the whole county lines thing gone bad and someone got stabbed - as we were walking home after the first incident we passed through a car park where a bunch of out of town people were gathering, reinforcements called in, with a single policeman observing them - he knew why they were there, they were taunting him because they knew there was nothing the police could really do at that point. After we were gone:

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/yeovil-blood-police-live-2052000

It's vile, I know as a young impressionable teen myself (single mum, benefits, always skint) if i saw an 'easy' way to be making a few hundred a week i'd have gone down a darker path. I understand the allure, totally get why kids get drawn into it. Poor families, persistent debts, no nice things, someone comes along and suddenly acts like your best friend then asks you to do a favour, then you're in the life.

Very similar grooming to how pimps turns out girls to become prostitutes, utter scum.

Associate
Big trouble in little China. Entertaining but it’s not aged well. Great for nostalgia though. Popcorn and turn your brain off type thing.

Associate
Escape Room: Tournament of Champions (2021) - 4/10

More of the same which provides escapism for a while but not much else.

Nowhere near as clever as the first movie with a very straightforward plot and one dimension characters who spend too much time panicking at each other.

The special effects were good and it didn’t overstay its welcome, but it was pretty unremarkable overall.

Man of Honour
Watched the entire Fear Street trilogy on Netflix, Fear Street 1994, Fear Street 1978, Fear Street 1666.

Cheesy, formulaic and with strong Stranger Things vibes at times but overall enjoyed it in a back to my teenage movies sort of popcorn way. No idea if they plan on doing more but I'd be up for watching more in the series.

Soldato
Watched the entire Fear Street trilogy on Netflix, Fear Street 1994, Fear Street 1978, Fear Street 1666.

Cheesy, formulaic and with strong Stranger Things vibes at times but overall enjoyed it in a back to my teenage movies sort of popcorn way. No idea if they plan on doing more but I'd be up for watching more in the series.

I havent seen 1666 but enjoyed the other two. You can tell R L Stine wrote it lol.

Soldato
40mins into the Hitmans wife bodyguard - load of pants so far.

Hayek is stunning, but the worst over actor

I love Reynolds and Jackson, but seeing Reynolds do his Deadpool style acting and Jackson "every word is mother trucker" has got boring.

Uh oh,, things are looking up, salma hayek in a rubber cat suit.

Associate
Saint Maud.

While probably having to do it to show the context of what she believed in her head, i lost the fixation a little when the cgi stepped in half way through the film. Dropped in the hot seat with no idea what this was this morning with somebody showing it in Big Screen VR. Not something i would have watched through choice, but turned out worth it.

Interesting central character though, the location and depiction of her existence endeared me to her, along with the conflict of redemption when you see in graphic detail why she turned away from that life.

The only thing that got me was some of the narration at the start of the film, very self aware and assured in realism of the situation and of others, certainly not of the character or the film going forward.

Good watch if you want to try and figure that out.

Thanks really enjoyed this chiller .......V Good performances & very well shot & scored.

Was certainly captivating to watch throughout 4/5

Back
Top Bottom