Amazon phone call scam for Prime members

Associate
Been getting different calls from (Amazon (nope)) about charges being taken and a number to correct this if wrong, but it's a scam and now going after Prime users.

"Scammers are targeting Amazon Prime members, extorting huge amounts of cash from them during lockdown. Customers receive an automated phone call claiming their Amazon Prime membership is due for renewal and the service has taken £79.99 from their bank account."

(I forgot the link..)

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/amazon-prime-phone-scam-warning-19732609

Just FYI

Last edited:
My Prime sub is monthly, so that exact scam wouldn't work on me!

I've not head of this scam before though, so for the heads up :)

In general, if you owe money to a subscription service, it would most likely come by email. Even then, don't follow any links from the email. Type in the site's URL or use favourites/bookmarks and check your account settings in there. E.g. my debit card used for Disney+ has expired and I received an email to update my card. So logged in and changed it on there.

Soldato
Get a few of those frequently. Depending on how busy I am I'll play along while I load up my virtual box 'honey pot' VM where I just waste their time and show them things they really don't want to see

Soldato
If there's pattern to the numbers you can use a third party too to do this.
Recently I've started get robocalls, obvious to spot as there's a pattern to the numbers.
I'm currently trying some third party, tools to filter them.

It just annoying as I don't get many phone calls normally, so if I do its usually important and an unknown number.

Associate
Some of these scam calls don't even make sense.

I had one that said my NI number had been used illegally when hiring a car in Manchester :confused:

Didn't stop me keeping them on the phone for nearly 20 minutes though :D

Soldato
You have to be pretty gullible to fall for these things these days.

I had one that said my NI number had been used illegally when hiring a car in Manchester :confused:

That rather depends. I once had a call that actually sounded quite plausible. The guy seemed to be English with a natural sounding London accent, said he was a PC with the Met and was contacting me because my card had been used fraudulently in London the previous week, when I had indeed been in London for a few days. The call didn't go anywhere because I kept asking him to explain exactly why would the police contact me about this rather than my bank and he hung up, but I can easily imagine someone being taken in and providing personal/account details.

Associate

Yeah, I had a similar one via a recorded message twice the other day, that my NI number had been connected with some illegal activity, and that I was going to be arrested - then it asked me to press button one to be connected to an operator (I didn't though, not that I think they can do anything but didn't want to risk any call charges by actively pressing something). I wish a real person had rung me so I could string them along.

Soldato
I really wish the authorities would start identifying these scammers and putting them in jail.

Last spate of phone calls I had was from an indian scam centre using numbers in manchester.

I have the feeling they rent some numbers and get spamming over the internet from india.

Caporegime
I've had the same **** ring me about loft insulation for the last 3 weeks.

Second time I told him he spoke to me the previous week and I wasn't interested and he just carried on reading his lines over me. Hung up immediately yesterday.

Man of Honour
I've been getting those for years.

It's just a new variant of "this is BT internet department" or "this is visa fraud department".

Never respond to such calls;)

yeah this tbh,

although i am actually from your broad band supplier Mr Werewolf sir and i do see some problems with your account,
can you please send me you full name, date of birth, bank account number and pin number please sir so i can get this problem fixed for you, thankyou please.

Back
Top Bottom