It's too hot :(

Soldato
I think it wont be long until east midland's and south east have a/c in homes commonly. this weather is unbearable indoors.

I can imagine its lovely for those who get the westerlies and those on the coast though.

Chillr, thats pretty much it yeah, its very ease to solve been cold, very hard been too hot.

Soldato
Anyone any idea how much does a split air con unit cost to install in a couple bedrooms?

Could I put it on top of my flat (epdm/rubber) roofed extension. Tempted to shell out a couple K for it tbh.

Absolutely roasting and 31 degrees here in Stratford-upon-Avon

Soldato
Been trying to get it for months, not enough installers. Most don't reply, those that do are taking the mick on prices. £5k for bedroom+living room was the best quote I got, my mate up north got it for £3k.

Associate
The woman next to me doesn't half moan on at her partner. I don't think they realise the whole street can hear them...

such an annoying voice too really grates, Geordie women who are common sound so bloody awful

Yeah you do have to be careful you're not slagging anyone off lol cause you have the blind down or curtains shut and forget you've got the windows wide open, it's so easy heard outside.

Associate
People have been telling me to keep my windows closed during the heat of the day, but can't say it feels any cooler. Probably only works on houses with a large interior space or if you have shutters.

Caporegime
People have been telling me to keep my windows closed during the heat of the day, but can't say it feels any cooler. Probably only works on houses with a large interior space or if you have shutters.
it works if you have shutters on the outside like european houses. they keep the shutters down and the windows closed during the day to keep in the cool air from overnight

they have proper interlocking metal roller shutters though

Man of Honour
Do cats routinely leap to their doom from high places?

My wife tried to make me shut the bedroom windows last night, for exactly that reason. I put the cat out and opened the windows again, which solved that problem to e veryone 's satisfaction.

I don’t know if they do or they don’t, but my kid paid bundles for that Bengal cat, and his kids love her to pieces, so I wouldn’t take a chance, plus if she did go over the second floor balcony, she’d either land on my concrete drive, or my grandson’s car.
And I wouldn’t put her out at night, if she didn’t walk away or get snatched up by someone there’s always the foxes to worry about.

Soldato
I don’t know if they do or they don’t, but my kid paid bundles for that Bengal cat, and his kids love her to pieces, so I wouldn’t take a chance, plus if she did go over the second floor balcony, she’d either land on my concrete drive, or my grandson’s car.
And I wouldn’t put her out at night, if she didn’t walk away or get snatched up by someone there’s always the foxes to worry about.

I can't believe people pay money for cats these days.

I'm assuming you can use them to mine bitcoin, or something?

Caporegime
well at least we got rain and storms coming after today so keep cool and hang in. thats one great thing about heatwaves you know they normally end in cool thunderstorms with lightning.

Soldato
It's insanely hot today, I don't know how people in other countries manage or maybe we're all just really soft here in the UK. Also, I feel very sorry for those having to suffer Covid on top of this. It must be unbearable.

Associate

It sometimes works if you shut your curtains and windows shut, they say only open windows when its cooler outside than inside. You can buy reflective stuff for your windows, looked into it once but never bought any, don't know how effective it is.

Associate
It's insanely hot today, I don't know how people in other countries manage or maybe we're all just really soft here in the UK. Also, I feel very sorry for those having to suffer Covid on top of this. It must be unbearable.
Yeah me too, had my second jab wednesday and was well off it with flu symptoms day after, so glad I got it over with before it got really hot on friday, but those with actual flu and really ill with covid when you get the hot fever, must be awful.

Man of Honour
I can't believe people pay money for cats these days.

I'm assuming you can use them to mine bitcoin, or something?

My kid paid £1750 for his Bengal, he said that he’d seen them up to £5000.
His daughter wanted one, and with his kids he’s like I was with him and his brother, if either of them wanted something and I was pulling down enough green that I could afford it, AND all the bills were paid, with no outgoings on the horizon, they got it.[/QUOTE]

Soldato
My kid paid £1750 for his Bengal, he said that he’d seen them up to £5000.
His daughter wanted one, and with his kids he’s like I was with him and his brother, if either of them wanted something and I was pulling down enough green that I could afford it, AND all the bills were paid, with no outgoings on the horizon, they got it.

£1750? Jeez, if I'd paid that I'd be keeping the cat inside, too!

Does it have better cooling capacity than a stock cat? Or RGB?

Associate
Bought an AC unit today, as we lost a budgie yesterday to the heat (multiple fans going and windows open etc), 28c indoors, it's nuts. Its struggling to keep the room cool.

Soldato
I love my AC in this kind of weather, especially in the daytime. People often forget that they can heat as well as cool though, so I use mine on heating mode in the winter, and it's not a bad backup if CH dies.

Decent split is not cheap though, and at this time of year the installers would be in high demand if you've not already booked it.

Soldato
Got an old ac portable unit but looks like the gas has gone. They are nice but it was so noisy and expensive to run that I doubt I'll bother to replace it.

Electricity can be a lot cheaper in the US so I doubt it bothers them as much

Back
Top Bottom