Poll: British Grand Prix 2021, Silverstone - Race 10/23

Rate the 2021 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
You've got Button, Coulthard and Webber all saying Hamilton was in the wrong and deserved a penalty, the stewards agreed but I'm assuming you're implying Max was at fault for getting rammed off the track?

Damon Hill, Karun and Martin Brundle said he should have not got a penalty.

I don't know what Webber and Coulthard said, but Button was more on the fence. Although perhaps leaning against Hamilton.

I would bet good money Max would get very little sympathy on the grid.

Soldato
Soldato
This is pretty much my take on it too. Lewis, and other drivers have been forced off the track enough times that it's almost a phycological advantage that Max has, 'I can't try it at this corner as Max will just run me off the track or squeeze me out. I can't fully commit to an overtake as I need to be ready to get out of the way if he does something stupid'.

For many seasons now, Lewis has played the long game and backed out of 50/50 situations which could lose him a front wing or worse, and has won from his consistency and keeping the car in one piece. In his battles where there was respect between the drivers, Vettel, Leclerc and Rosberg (to a point), this worked. Hamilton knows that Max is an aggressive, almost dirty, driver who does not have that level of respect in wheel to wheel situations with other drivers.

Since the start of this season Lewis has done the same as he always has and let Max have the space, and was over 30 points behind in the WDC because of it. Today was Lewis sending Max a message that he's not going to back out of those 50/50s any more and it's Max who needs to think twice before pulling any moves like that in future.
Pretty much sums up my point of view on the subject. I'd like to say I hope he learns something from this... but this is Max were talking about here... of course he wont, because he's never in the wrong.
There is something inherently unlikeable about the Redbull team, its senior staff, some of its drivers, just something about it just has never sat right with me. I reckon it stems from the top, Marko seems to nurture a toxic atmosphere in that team, I've always had a dislike for its young driver programme, its a meat grinder for young talent. It feels like quite a few promising careers have died there as the drivers just dont seem to get the support and help they need to blossom, just seems overall toxic. Obviously thats just from the outside looking in, I may be entirely wrong.

The comeback drive from Lewis did make it much more entertaining. There was a point that I didnt think it was gonna be possible. But Lewis pulls that pace out when it counted and proved me very wrong. Strong drive and an outstanding home win.

Soldato
Not sure what that link has to do with anything, I don't have a problem with him celebrating in front of the British fans.
Then don't look at the comments on the YT highlights video. Record levels of hate for Lewis, but also the fans at the circuit. Some of the smooth-brains commenting there seem to think the sound of the fans shocked 'Oooh's, and the clapping of the fans behind the wire fencing as Max got out of the car, were in fact them cheering that Max was out/hurt/attempted murdered.

Caporegime
Then don't look at the comments on the YT highlights video. Record levels of hate for Lewis, but also the fans at the circuit. Some of the smooth-brains commenting there seem to think the sound of the fans shocked 'Oooh's were in fact them cheering.

Plenty of videos on Twitter of people cheering when he spins off and even louder roars when he hits the tyres :)

Guess the people raising their arms when they cheered could be a Team America style help signal to the Marshalls.

Associate
Well, it delivered more than I was expecting but I've voted a 6 overall as outside of the HAM/VES drama at the start very little happened elsewhere in the field till the chase down at the end. I was hoping for a podium for Lando and he did look racey at the start, pinching a place from Bottas immediately.

That looked like a big hit for Max. He was quite delicate when being helped out of the car, glad to hear he's OK & the fight for the championship is still on. I can't help but feel he engineered that situation though. His jerk just before the corner to give Lewis the inside line then the onboard replays were damning for me, you can see Lewis does not open his steering angle while Max closes, opens and then tightens on Lewis when the collision takes place. A situation where neither driver wanted to concede and contact was probably inevitable between these two at some point. I had it as a racing incident personally and I fear that giving a penalty sends the wrong message for racing, but I also felt that George was harshly punished, so what do I know!

The Stewards reviewed video and telemetry evidence. Cars 33 and 44 entered turn
9 with Car 33 in the lead and Car 44 slightly behind and on the inside. Car 44 was on
a line that did not reach the apex of the corner, with room available to the inside.
When Car 33 turned into the corner, Car 44 did not avoid contact and the left front of
Car 44 contacted the right rear of Car 33. Car 44 is judged predominantly at fault.
Competitors are reminded that they have the right to appeal certain decisions of the
Stewards, in accordance with Article 15 of the FIA International Sporting Code and
Article 10.1.1 of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules, within the applicable time
limits.

Edit to add**
The way both TP's conducted themselves running to contact the Race Director were quite embarrassing. I'm normally a fan of Christian but I'd had enough of him and comments such as 'you don't overtake there' after the race.

Last edited:
Soldato
Max could have died today and fanboys here would have still blamed him for the crash. Funny how Lewis gave on throttle when going against Leclrec but we'll pretend we didn't see that.
Sure, in the same way that Lewis could have died today.

Masterclass by Lewis today. Top job.

Soldato
Lewis gave on throttle with Max as well. He went from being side by side to turning in with Verstappen braking later overcutting him and getting it wrong.
Leclerc however didn't turn in on him. Took a wider line, conceding the inside and lost downforce losing the rear.
Verstappen tried to treat his car as if it was 5 metres wide.

Exact same with Le Clerc as with Verstappen except Lewis had a better line with Le Clerc even so Le Clerc went off the track. That could have been heated at the end but both drivers were congratulating each other.
Just my opinon but Max was in the wrong all upto that corner he was being aggressive if you watch the reply and Lewis just went for it with neither driving wanting to give up. Max hit Lewis and he had no chance.

Well, it delivered more than I was expecting but I've voted a 6 overall as outside of the HAM/VES drama at the start very little happened elsewhere in the field till the chase down at the end. I was hoping for a podium for Lando and he did look racey at the start, pinching a place from Bottas immediately.

That looked like a big hit for Max. He was quite delicate when being helped out of the car, glad to hear he's OK & the fight for the championship is still on. I can't help but feel he engineered that situation though. His jerk just before the corner to give Lewis the inside line then the onboard replays were damning for me, you can see Lewis does not open his steering angle while Max closes, opens and then tightens on Lewis when the collision takes place. A situation where neither driver wanted to concede and contact was probably inevitable between these two at some point. I had it as a racing incident personally and I fear that giving a penalty sends the wrong message for racing, but I also felt that George was harshly punished, so what do I know!

This completely and totally.

The telling replay if you watch back is the one in Max's car, watch his steering wheel, he goes to steer right, see's Lewis in his wing mirrors and pulls out then few seconds later he rams the steering wheel right (bit like in chase movies when someone wants to ram another car off the road).
Question is if he saw Lewis in his wing mirror on the first look, why didnt he look again in his wing mirror before turning in ? 'he thought Lewis would have pulled out' but he didnt check his mirror. I`m glad Max is okay but no way was that totally Lewis fault.

Commissario
The telling replay if you watch back is the one in Max's car, watch his steering wheel, he goes to steer right, see's Lewis in his wing mirrors and pulls out then few seconds later he rams the steering wheel right (bit like in chase movies when someone wants to ram another car off the road).
Question is if he saw Lewis in his wing mirror on the first look, why didnt he look again in his wing mirror before turning in ? 'he thought Lewis would have pulled out' but he didnt check his mirror. I`m glad Max is okay but no way was that totally Lewis fault.

This was the thing for me, he steered away and then back in again. I don’t see how anyone can blame Lewis for this. Max knew he was there and steered across him.

Anyway, 9/10 for me. If Lando had made it to the podium, it would have been a 10.

Soldato
Exact same with Le Clerc as with Verstappen except Lewis had a better line with Le Clerc even so Le Clerc went off the track. That could have been heated at the end but both drivers were congratulating each other.
Just my opinon but Max was in the wrong all upto that corner he was being aggressive if you watch the reply and Lewis just went for it with neither driving wanting to give up. Max hit Lewis and he had no chance.

This completely and totally.

Perfectly put.

Back
Top Bottom