What even is American Grade 1 Maths?

Associate
OP
would have thought your big ole brain could have worked that one out for itself......

No actually that's the point.

How is using Word / PowerPoint / Excel / Making a website / Music Production not valid I.T experience for working as a receptionist?

Using ebay? Uploading to youtube? Heck using social media and forums daily?

One time I wrote a full game XML remod for Civ IV, reworking every civilization, unit and building for fun. How isn't this valid I.T experience?

Caporegime
And?

Normally everyone tells me to make up references and work experience to get a job.

Now they are telling me not to?

You are aware that maybe 90% of job applicants make up references and past experiences on their C.V? I haven't done so previously which is most likely why I am still unemployed.

Funny how 3 years at uni doesn't count as I.T experience for any Admin or Reception job throughout the UK, want to explain that one to me?

Also there actually is no legal basis or requirements for references, you do know that right? Job applicants do not actually have to provide any references if they are hired without them being taken prior.

And I'm sure you can work out the relevance of my reply to your post.

Associate
OP
And I'm sure you can work out the relevance of my reply to your post.

I actually have the full printed / physical reference from M&S about me. In fact it says nothing negative other than the work having been too physical and fast paced for me which is the exact reason why they couldn't keep me on. So whether you believe it or not, I can answer 'what did your previous employers think about you' however I want.

They also hired me directly after 2 weeks unpaid disability course, as a previous employer told me 'You must have made a really good first impression to be hired right away after 2 weeks unpaid', and yes that's exactly what happened.

So thats a valid point - All I need to add to how 100% perfect I was at M&S other than the physical side was the fact that I was immediately hired after a 2 week unpaid course.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
And?

Normally everyone tells me to make up references and work experience to get a job.

Now they are telling me not to?

You are aware that maybe 90% of job applicants make up references and past experiences on their C.V? I haven't done so previously which is most likely why I am still unemployed.

Funny how 3 years at uni doesn't count as I.T experience for any Admin or Reception job throughout the UK, want to explain that one to me?

Also there actually is no legal basis or requirements for references, you do know that right? Job applicants do not actually have to provide any references if they are hired without them being taken prior.
No one makes up references. How would you even do that? Do you put quotes on your CV?

There is no legal requirement for references. But there is plenty corporate requirement. If you don't at least acknowledge that references can be given on request, you're unlikely to get far unless it's selling the big issue.

What you maybe misinterpret is that there is less requirement for character references. Big companies will often settle at their HR department confirming your term of employment with your previous company's HR dept.

Associate
OP
No one makes up references. How would you even do that? Do you put quotes on your CV?

There is no legal requirement for references. But there is plenty corporate requirement. If you don't at least acknowledge that references can be given on request, you're unlikely to get far unless it's selling the big issue.

What you maybe misinterpret is that there is less requirement for character references. Big companies will often settle at their HR department confirming your term of employment with your previous company's HR dept.

I literally have all of that, I already said I literally have my M&S reference - I told them to release the reference and everything they have on my as a freedom of information request thing.

And the character reference crap is the point. Yes too many employers want those now. I cannot prove what previous employers and employment crap said about me, but likewise you and anyone else cannot disprove what I said.

'I was hired after 2 weeks unpaid' is all I need to lead or end with to confirm anything I say. If anything about my personality is at fault at the new job you do realise they cpuld simply fire me then?

In fact out of the hundreds of people I have worked with before, nobody has a personality flaw. All these people can then go home and sign into natsees.com or whatever and endlessly spam about killing minorities, and nobody IRL would ever know.

On that note nothing about me is traceable online. This is exactly why I will not post my name or face anywhere online anymore. I no longer use any social media that requires my real life info and pics.

In fact you can be the most perfect employee for a job. You can have all the skills, experience, credentials, education, references and be 10 times better than any other applicant.

At the same time you might also have a forum account on OCUK under 'BalistoxOnZ490', and as soon as the employer sees your comments on there you get sacked (i.e. people being sacked over single personal messages on their twitter or facecrap accounts).

Personality is the single worst measure for assessing people for a job because heres a shocker - PEOPLE CAN AND WILL BEHAVE AND ACT PERFECTLY FOR MONEY! Gee imagine that!

Associate
OP
no need to be sorry. i appreciate and understand it's hard to keep tabs on multiple fantasies.

'Thank you for attending your interview with the College for the role of Receptionist.

Carrie and myself had a very difficult decision to make after the completion of the interviews on Monday.

Unfortunately you were unsuccessful this time and this was due to the sheer strength on the competition. You came across as very approachable and well presented at your interview. We also felt that you had some good customer service experience which showed in your answers, however lacked reception experience which unfortunately the successful candidate had.'

Carrie (name changed) was the person who commented in the interview 'You must have made a really good first impression that if they hired you right away after 2 weeks unpaid'.

Associate
OP

Everyone makes up references if a job says it needs 2x2 year references which they don't have, they will simply make it up, all they need is a second account in the references name to write a letter themselves. Support workers if you have access to them will offer to lie and say that yes they've known you for two gears as mine have already offered to do. Two support workers regularly visit me, each will simply say they've known me for 2 years and make up a perfect character reference as soon as I ask them to.

Associate
OP
that's good thinking.....change the name so no one can identify an unknown person from an unknown interview at an unknown college. or maybe it makes it easier if you use the wrong name the next time this fantasy is regurgitated.

If you type in her real name, college, and my city, it comes up with her info on the colleges website fyi.

no they don't

Yes they do because I've been advised endlessly to do it myself if I want a job.

In most cases you simply get the persons dad on the phone pretending to be their employer for their made up 3 years I.T consultant job.

In any case, the reliance on character references is all it takes to prove that you can only get a job through connections. Don't know anybody? No job for me then.

I actually needed a character reference to apply for my house. Fortunately M&S did that for me 2-3 years after I had finished working for them and the store I worked at having closed.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You're applying real World recruitment norms to the norms that apply to those who reside in Fantasyland. An easy mistake. I've also never falsified a reference but I live in Cambridgeshire, not The Eternal Kingdom of Gum Drops and Unicorns.

Read what I actually said, or meant to say.

Everyone that doesn't have references makes them up to get a job.

Obviously if you have references, you don't need to make them up.

Maybe this is a failing of reading comprehension and common sense due to however much time people spend learning to do arithmetic with making tens.

Soldato
Read what I actually said, or meant to say.

Everyone that doesn't have references makes them up to get a job.

Obviously if you have references, you don't need to make them up.

Maybe this is a failing of reading comprehension and common sense due to however much time people spend learning to do arithmetic with making tens.

Even when applying for jobs requiring 2 professional references, which I didn't have at the time, I didn't falsify references, I used academic references and explained the issue.

Soldato
Anyway.... :p

I thought the same as the OP until I read the first few replies and realised I do it without thinking about it

Can't remember 'addend' tho, although that's not to say I wasn't taught it!

Back
Top Bottom