Poll: British Grand Prix 2021, Silverstone - Race 10/23

Rate the 2021 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
But he made the corner, easily, so didn't carry too much speed? One race they say if you're on the outside you're at the mercy of the person on the inside. Next race, you can't put a wheel on the inside because it's dangerous?
From my POV racing incident. Ham has yielded a number of times, this time he didn't. Either could have backed off, Ham did just way too late - maybe if he left his foot stuck in different wheels would have touched an outcome very different.

He made the corner, but took out Max in the process. In a way it's similar to a tackle in football where you go through the player the get the ball.

I think a block pass is fine, but there are times and places and Copse isn't one of them.

The bigger issue with online trolls/racists are those who keep feeding them. IMHO, they are actually worse!
No way. We all have opinions, but going from having an opinion to abusing a driver is indefensible.

Soldato
Agreed, Lewis was very lucky not to have a big off himself by driving into Max. Clearly it was Max's corner and on the fastest corner of the circuit Lewis should not be taking risks with his and Max's lives...

Does that apply to Alonso too then? As he made a pass at Copse too. What about previous years races where overtakes have happened too?

Were they all also risking lives? Or could it be that motorsport is inherently dangerous and any and every overtake has the chance of ending badly.

Soldato
I have just been rewatching P1 and P2 this morning and Lewis took the same line into the corner(missing the apex) as he did in the race collision with max (brundle even mentioned that he was taking a different line and missing the apex in commentary)
So people trying to say he took max out because he was nowhere near the apex are wrong because he didn’t take the apex on the corner in any of his practices

Soldato
He made the corner, but took out Max in the process. In a way it's similar to a tackle in football where you go through the player the get the ball.

I think a block pass is fine, but there are times and places and Copse isn't one of them.

No way. We all have opinions, but going from having an opinion to abusing a driver is indefensible.

I assume every overtake at eau rouge corner in Belgium is high on your should never have done that move list as well and called it out as soon as it happened....

Soldato
Agreed, Lewis was very lucky not to have a big off himself by driving into Max. Clearly it was Max's corner and on the fastest corner of the circuit Lewis should not be taking risks with his and Max's lives...

Ayrton Senna: If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver.

The entire race track can be raced on and overtakes are allowed on any part of it. We have already started down a road that I am uncomfortable with handing out penalties for literally racing. If someone tries to go down the inside at extremely high speed, locks up with tyre smoke everywhere and promptly understeers into another car....then yes, hand out a penalty. Calling for race and season bans for having a 50:50 (or even a contested 90:10 opinion) accident is literally laughable. If there is debate at all (purely from a technical standpoint with no bias) then it probably was not clearly a penalty situation.

If we start taming down racing and imposing more safety rules it will kill the sport. It is already starting to. You can kiss goodbye to things like the Mikka Hakkinen overtake on schumi and a tail ender at Spa because it will be deemed to aggressive. It seems every scenario has to be overly analysed now. Let them race. Back in the day, if you got taken out there were not even penalties and you got on with it.

It's also funny how they play the sob story card Red Bull with Max getting physically winded and minor injuries. They've decided to pick one selective crash and cry about it because he went into the barrier. This can happen in any crash. Poor baby butt hurt Max with his bruised ego. Try crashing a sports bike at that speed. They get up and walk off broken collar bones and the likes.

Horner's post race interview was lovely to watch with him seething. Hamilton should use that as fuel.

The racial support statement from Red Bull is just lip service to the issue to try to put them in a good light wherever possible in my opinion.

Soldato
No one seems to be talking about how on lap 1 Max went off the circuit, but kept his foot planted in order to re-join with enough momentum to take Lewis.

Agree. I saw this and wondered why it was not brought up. If we are going to say "well it was lap 1" then frankly why not go fully wide and gain time? All 4 wheels off is 4 wheels off.

Soldato
I love all the haters, should never overtake at that corner.

What about his overtake at 130r in suzuka? Is that not also a stupid high speed corner? Or people overtaking at eau rouge ?

Soldato
That's not what I said. I said you don't do block passes at corners like Copse (or Eau Rouge or 130R).

Passes around such corners are fine (inside or outside) but not block passes.

Yeah, clutching at straws with that argument, one tiny twitch and contact could be made at those corners with disastrous consequences.

Caporegime
I have just been rewatching P1 and P2 this morning and Lewis took the same line into the corner(missing the apex) as he did in the race collision with max (brundle even mentioned that he was taking a different line and missing the apex in commentary)
So people trying to say he took max out because he was nowhere near the apex are wrong because he didn’t take the apex on the corner in any of his practices

Those people are people that never driven on track before or cannot notice these things. Lewis took the natural braking zone and line with the exception of Verstappen being on the outside. Verstappen braked later but had to to turn in a lot more to make the corner. Their paths were destined to cross. It was just that if Verstappen used his brain a little to realise the long game he would have more than likely won the race anyway as his car is obviously faster at the moment.

I guess all this sim racing doesn't equate to real life decisions. The video the poster showed earlier with his crash against Ocon just shows he hasn't learnt his lesson.

People love to fawn over Senna but it was Prost who played the intelligent game that arguably made him the more successful driver whilst his natural talent was top tier it wasn't on Senna's level. Lewis was the same against Button who managed to equal him on a couple of seasons because he was reckless whilst Button was intelligent but Lewis eventually matured and learnt his lesson.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great job in completely avoiding my question. The damage occurred during the contact, of course it did. What does that have to do with one driver visibly steering into the other driver?

To have that kind of damage to the car.
It HAD to hit an object hard enough to cause that damage that would have put hamilton out the race.

As you know. Hamilton went in to fast and had under steer causing him to hit max.
Hamilton has done the same thing every season in the last 3 years.

Caporegime
To have that kind of damage to the car.
It HAD to hit an object hard enough to cause that damage that would have put hamilton out the race.

As you know. Hamilton went in to fast and had under steer causing him to hit max.
Hamilton has done the same thing every season in the last 3 years.

Hamilton didn't go in too fast. He didn't need too. He had the inside line and pretty much followed the normal line. Max braked later and had to turn in more to make the corner. You can even see it on his on board he turned in initially then had to put even more lock on to make the corner because he went in too deep.

Also the damage seemed to happen the moment he hit the gravel trap. As someone who has been in the gravel himself it is very easy to flip a car going in sideways at speed.

Back
Top Bottom