Child Locks for integrated fridge

Soldato
We've recently moved into a house which has an integrated fridge under the worktop, our issue is that our 20 month old loves to go in and grab yoghurts or whatever else is in there and leaves the door wide open and after one week I'm already sick of it.

We've tried a strap type lock but the issue is that there are three drawers next to the fridge so if we attach them to one of those it doesn't actually stop him from opening it, as it partially opens both the drawer and fridge.. The fridge is at the end of the worktop too so there's nothing the other side we can lock it to.

Any ideas..?

Man of Honour
The joys of parenting, if theres nothing to fix something solid too there isnt many options out there.

Put something in front of the fridge once you hear your child move it then tell them no , could take a 1000 or 10000 times but eventually they learn.

Permabanned
There are a ton of child locks on ebay. You can get really thin ones that may fit between the draws and the fridge but the alternative there is to reverse the door.

Soldato
We use the thin plastic lever type but not sure if they will work with an integrated fridge

have you seen the magnet ones that come with a key?

I've been meaning buy some to try on the integrated washing machine as we have the same issue there

Soldato
Lift the front feet / lower the back feet slightly. Whilst the door may end up a few mm out of alignment with the drawer unit the door should slowly swing back shut when opened.

Associate
or fix a piece of elastic like a large rubber band inside between the door and the body of the fridge to pull it shut

Soldato
Is there space in install a magnetic lock in the carcass, or is it completely filled with fridge? I'd imagine there may be space underneath, but makes it a PITA for you to use too.

Soldato
OP
alternative there is to reverse the door.

I think this will be the way we go actually. At least then we can use the side of the cupboard to anchor the lock to.

Can you put a stairgate on the kitchen door instead?

I'd rather not as we already have one from the living room to hallway and we have a kitchen/diner so it's a big room which he'd be unable to explore.

Cheapest option and less heartache in the long run is to put your kid up for adoption. ;)

That was my first thought but the Mrs wasn't too keen.

Associate
Highly recommend getting a childproof refrigerator lock like the ones recommended here bestlockguide.com. I had to get one years ago to keep my 2-year-old son out of the fridge. The lock keeps him out of the fridge but was still easy for an adult or older child to open the door.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ours were never interested in the fridge but used to love emptying the cupboards we just left him too it and within a couple of weeks he was bored so stopped it wasn’t much fun when it didn’t get a reaction. The quest for food probably makes it worse I’d put what ever item it is back in the fridge every time they got one making sure that helping themselves never equalled getting what they wanted, eventually they will figure it out without the hassle of cupboard locks.

Back
Top Bottom