What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
I enjoyed them but I went into them expecting what I got. Popcorn horror a la Stranger Things, I wasnt expecting any revolutionary or groundbreaking horror , truth be told I dont find that any movie qualifies as horror, nor has it for 40 years, I havent found a movie scary for 4 decades. As I went into it expecting something formulaic, bit cheesy etc, I was able to find it as enjoyable and watchable as Stranger Things, Halloween, Friday the 13th and so on. Sometimes its nice to be able to get your cheese on and enjoy some Buffy the Vampire Slayer like "horror" :D

I guess if it does what it says on the tin, that's all good. I just had a bunch of friends recommending it and seen some stuff online hyping it up, once I saw the trailer I just felt a bit 'oh, is that it?'

Soldato
Fear street 1994 (5/10)

Nothing new and didn't find the story interesting. Maybe I'm biased and not the target demographic but I don't get enjoyment from watching people die from gruesome deaths.

The other 2 of the trilogy are backstories, give 1978 20 minutes and switched it off.

Man of Honour
I guess if it does what it says on the tin, that's all good. I just had a bunch of friends recommending it and seen some stuff online hyping it up, once I saw the trailer I just felt a bit 'oh, is that it?'

Oh yes I mean that is indeed what it is. By the numbers teen slasher Buffy/Friday 13th/Stranger Things sort of affair. Theres a time and place for such things and I've had moments in my viewing history where I've been in the mood for a bit of Buffy/Cheesy slasher/Stranger Things sort of thing so I've enjoyed watching those during those moods. Fear Street is one of those, if you go in expecting Cabin in the Woods style unexpected plot twists or 28 Days Later style atmosphere and impact then you'll be disappointed but if you expect a bit of old school cheese and pop a beer and some snacks, put your feet up and just watch it for what it is, its enjoyable.

(I should caveat that by saying I love black and white B movie creature features and tacky old cheesy stuff like Buck Rogers , Starsky and Hutch , V and Land of the Giants, so I can appreciate that my mindset might be more open to this stuff than some :) )

Soldato
@Tombstone i'll watch at least the first movie, my post might have seemed unfair at first, i'm not looking for ground breaking horror, just general reception left me expecting more from the trailer.

I like horror in most shapes and forms, all dependent on mood, it's my joint favourite genre along with sci fi. I get most of my horror kicks from lower budget indie or direct to DVD affairs these days, there has been some excellent horror movies dotted around in the last decade. Trouble is, as I get older, i struggle the remember them and it's all becoming a bit of a mish mash in my head :)

Man of Honour
@SixTwoSix They're pretty marmite films, people will either enjoy them or not. Definitely films that you need to be in the right mindset for. I sort of think of them as Sunday movies, the sort of thing you shove on during a lazy mindless sunday where you just want something to chill to

Soldato
The Tomorrow War - 3/10, although that generosity is purely because it had some decent special effects/CGI at times and some notable actors. Plot holes, underused story threads, an entire cast of characters you never connect with or feel anything for, baffling and nonsensical character decisions, a boring soundtrack and some truly stupid dialogue at times.

Chris Pratt was entirely wrong for the role and his character clearly wasn't written with him in mind. I was also staggered to read on Wikipedia that this was originally destined for a full theatrical release, every part of it feels like generic "kill all aliens" rubbish that ends up straight on DVD/TV/streaming.

Soldato
Fear street 1994 (5/10)

Nothing new and didn't find the story interesting. Maybe I'm biased and not the target demographic but I don't get enjoyment from watching people die from gruesome deaths.

The other 2 of the trilogy are backstories, give 1978 20 minutes and switched it off.

It isnt as simple as they are backstories. I cant say anymore without it being spoilers.

Caporegime
County Lines. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7156898/

I wasn't sure if I was in the right frame of mind for something quite so stark and bleak, but nonetheless, I still enjoyed it - as I imagined I probably would.

Lots of moments were grim but the bit where a drug dealer beat up a woman and then, if I understood it correctly, raped her afterward...

Soldato
County Lines. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7156898/

I wasn't sure if I was in the right frame of mind for something quite so stark and bleak, but nonetheless, I still enjoyed it - as I imagined I probably would.

Lots of moments were grim but the bit where a drug dealer beat up a woman and then, if I understood it correctly, raped her afterward...

I think I mentioned it in my post the other day, it's got some moments that have stuck with me, your spoilered comment is one of them and think you have understood right.

Back
Top Bottom