Poll: British Grand Prix 2021, Silverstone - Race 10/23

Rate the 2021 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
Yeah remember it well and I too loved it back then and saw no wrong.

Abit like the Max fans are currently doing, he needs to chill and let his current speed take him to the championship.

Wouldn't be surprised to see something daft next race.

Oh, there’s a huge dive bomb coming, I have no doubt. Hopefully he only takes himself out.

Man of Honour
I didn't catch the race live, I watched it a bit later on and I'd seen a message from a friend saying 'who was at fault'. I'd forgotten to turn off notifications but I immediately thought that Max and Lewis have come together as it's been coming for a while. I'm a big fan of Lewis' relentless pace and calculative driving style and I like Max's aggressive (albeit sometimes too aggressive) and fast driving style.

Straight after I saw the crash 'live' and not micro-analysing it I replied back saying 'racing incident' and that's still how I feel now. You can argue this to the tenth degree but they were doing well in excess of 160 mph and were inches apart. No one knows what was going on in their heads at the time so blaming someone is a fruitless exercise IMO.

What I really, really dislike is Max's attitude about it all on social media and even more-so Christian completely throwing his teddies out of the pram because things didn't go his way. I used to have a certain amount of admiration for him; he does his job well, he's ruthless but gets results. But I think he's gone a step too far this time.

We all crave this sort of racing (without the 50+G impact) and long may it continue between two rival drivers and teams. Had there been no physical contact or I guess 'accident', us fans would not be having this 'argument'. I do sincerely hope that none of the fans at Copse were hurt by the debris and that Lewis' and Max's rivalry on circuit doesn't end in a nastier crash. Only a few different factors at play and Max's car could have well lifted and hit or even worse gone over the fence.

Which brings me onto a gripe of mine. There are signs at every racing circuit about the dangers of motorsport, yet I find it quite sad to see fans with young children so close to the barrier at the exit of Copse (amongst other fast corners). People really need to wake up and realise just how fast F1 cars are and the dangers they can bring to you. if you have vulnerable people do sit somewhat away from the track or perhaps somewhere safer in the grandstand.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cant help but wonder if Merc are now going to put more work on the cars development. They pretty much didn't do much with it from last year and just assumed the car would be good enough considering how strong it was so they could work on the 2022 car.

Soldato
Cant help but wonder if Merc are now going to put more work on the cars development. They pretty much didn't do much with it from last year and just assumed the car would be good enough considering how strong it was so they could work on the 2022 car.

I'd guess that depends more on how the development of the 2022 car is going, if they are on target or confident then maybe but if they are hitting snags they likely can't afford to shift focus.

Caporegime
Food for thought though; the Christian Horner we see and witness is one of which many of us detest in many ways. Imagine what he is like behind closed doors in team meetings etc. I suspect he throws his toys out of the pram a lot in order to get his way. Max's lack of maturity may come directly from some of the character flaws of Christian himself.

I always get the impression that Horner is, to some extent, playing up his pantomime villain act and is likely better behind closed doors.

Max, I think, mostly gets it from his abusive father.

Soldato
Toto would have done the same, in fact he was busy emailing the race director with diagrams etc. just after the incident.
Whatever the Lewis fanboys want to say about the incident the stewards, with far more information to hand than us armchair fans, blamed Lewis and without any doubt. So it is cut and dried despite how many time Lewis and his fans seem to wish to wriggle out what is the truth.

Caporegime
As they went with the 10 second penalty they obviously didn't think it was purely Hamilton's fault.

The penalty is supposed to reflect the seriousness of the infraction not the degree of blame.

Michael Masi also said that they don't take into account the aftermath just the cause of the incident.

That's the theory, but anyone who watches F1 knows it's not the practice. Incidents that involve crashes are consistently more likely to be punished than those that don't, and incidents that hit the leader as well. Remember when Max hit Ocon, and Ocon got punished for it? They're also less likely to penalise when it "interferes with the championship", remember Seb hitting Hamilton twice under safety car? It's only natural that stewards are going to take wider context into account even if they're not supposed to.

Soldato
Toto would have done the same, in fact he was busy emailing the race director with diagrams etc. just after the incident.
Whatever the Lewis fanboys want to say about the incident the stewards, with far more information to hand than us armchair fans, blamed Lewis and without any doubt. So it is cut and dried despite how many time Lewis and his fans seem to wish to wriggle out what is the truth.

Yeah I agree, the stewards never get it wrong and dish out penalties like sweets.

Soldato
The Stewards statement quite literally says there was doubt. "Car 44 is judged predominantly at fault"
So some blame was with Max, which I suspect is why Lewis didn't get a larger penalty.

I agree that the claim that the Stewards don't take into account the results of an incident isn't fully true. I'm sure we've had cases where extremely similar incidents have resulted in different penalties just because the "victim" driver lost a larger amount of time because of said incident. Likewise in incidents when both drivers have been taken out it seems more prone towards being treated as a racing incident.

Say Hamilton had also crashed out in this collision. What punishments if any do we think would be handed out?

Soldato
The Norris vs Perez thing was not a penalty either though back in Austria. It's hard racing. I don't like the constant interference. I hate when the amber banner comes up. The worst is when it has to be investigated after the race.

Soldato
The Norris vs Perez thing was not a penalty either though back in Austria. It's hard racing. I don't like the constant interference. I hate when the amber banner comes up. The worst is when it has to be investigated after the race.

With the way it's been lately, someone was always getting a penalty for it. Lewis being the only one left on track it was of course him.

Does anyone know if Lewis got any points on his licence?

Caporegime
I’m still perplexed any CH went to the race director…
He’s got enough to do managing the race let alone deal with squabbles and handbags
That’s why they have stewards, no?

The guy has more than likely one of the highest pressure jobs there is. Especially when your boss is the owner of red bull.

He made a massive mistake letting Ricciardo go, made a monumental mistake with Gasly who needed support more than anything, messed up with Albon and now he has the best car on the grid if he messes that up he will more than likely be walking on thin ice. Just watching Netflix shows him losing it bit by bit. Stark contrast to someone like Toto for example.

The former success at redbull is all down Newey, redbulls driver program and the money they plough in. I am 100% sure he thinks it is all down to him.

Last edited:
Associate
Would love to see CH get sacked... he's not a very nice person it seems. He dumped on his partner a few weeks after she had their child and went off with Ginger Spice. His own parents didnt go to the wedding as they were unhappy how he'd behaved!

Can't wait for Hungary now... Odds on another incident anyone?

Associate

yup, totally agree... but did think that when Perez ran Charles out of road twice that was a "bit rich"...

Dup

Dup

Soldato
The team pricipals are always going to fight their corner regardless, you wouldn't expect any different. It's not just a driver out of the race not scoring any points, it's the huge amount of damage, time and ultimately cost that accident has too. If they have to replace key broken components above their permitted allocation they could face even more penalties and lose even more points. It could also jeopardise their budget cap. Why wouldn't they kick up a fuss to try get the maximum penalty for the other party? It's all part of the competition, the battle is as much off track as it is on. Neither Toto or CH come accross great to me but that's the nature of their position and I'm sure at home around the dinner table their both likeable characters.

For me it was a racing incident but I understand why there would be a huge fuss when you lose 25 points out of your championship lead after someone hit you from behind and left you with a whole car to replace. Both drivers could have done things differently, and likely will do, but neither went out of their way for contact. There was room for both to make a different decision and it's unfortunate they both picked the wrong one. The result though is one came off worse and the other picked up the win, which doesn't seem wholly fair for the championship but at least it's tightened it up.

I'd prefer it was two different drivers though, these two are just indoctrinated by F1 and the media around them. They just don't do it for me as personalities I I want to see winning. Just a certain air of petulence from both when it goes wrong. I'd sooner see Norris and Russell up there with Leclerc (who deserved to win and it's a real shamed the car plays such a big part) and bringing a bit more fun & personality to the front of the grid.

Back
Top Bottom