So not too long ago I was facing eviction for my undone gardens ...

Associate
But now the government is saying to stop mowing your gardens and leave them to grow wild to help bees?

While I was able to get them cut once, the gardener replied to my second request of a trim down offering to do it for £20, then proceeded to ghost me.

I contacted two further gardeners working on my street, one was fully booked until next year, the other not taking on new customers.

It initially took the council and support workers combined over 14 months to find me a gardener during the lockdown, and I personally dont care about leaving them to grow into wild hedgerow stuff, but all the neighbors went complaining to the HA.

So government now says to leave gardens to grow wild, but also you get kicked out of government housing if you do that?

Soldato
No thanks. I like a lovely cut lawn. We have lots of borders with loads of plants for bees and butterflies. We have trees, bushes and shrubs. Wildlife love our garden. Even with a mown lawn.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Thought it was shared ownership? And surely in that case you can't just be evicted. If the neighbours have that much of an issue then propose to them that as you're medically / physically unable to do so, perhaps they could offer to cut it for you as it bothers them that much. Otherwise they should mind their own business!

I wonder if you could lobby for funding if a robot lawnmower on disability grounds...

Soldato
It is a pain in the arse getting gardeners at the moment...old dear next door said her gardener had stopped responding...so I've been mowing her lawn all summer....otherwise it would just get out of control.

Man of Honour
It is a pain in the arse getting gardeners at the moment...old dear next door said her gardener had stopped responding...so I've been mowing her lawn all summer....otherwise it would just get out of control.

Hopefully that isn't a euphemism.

Associate
OP
Thought it was shared ownership? And surely in that case you can't just be evicted. If the neighbours have that much of an issue then propose to them that as you're medically / physically unable to do so, perhaps they could offer to cut it for you as it bothers them that much. Otherwise they should mind their own business!

I wonder if you could lobby for funding if a robot lawnmower on disability grounds...

Yes its shared ownership, and I had multiple angry phonecalls from the HA saying I was 'risking my tenancy' by not getting the gardening done based on all my neighbors complaining. Hence 14 months constantly chasing to get a gardener, and now he or others won't come anymore.

I put a full complaint in with the HA, and they investigated and claimed they were right by quoting the tiniest line in my lease that says I have to keep the property in a 'good state of repair'?

The gardens are in a good state of repair. They just have body high weeds again, but thats not exactly broken?

Idgaf about that or all the weeds, all the neighbors do and they keep complaining to the HA manager who then yells at me and tells me I'm risking my tenancy by not maintaining the gardens.

No neighbor has spoken to me about it, they just go crying to the manager, who has claimed to me he keeps getting multiple complaints all the time. I would simply ask 'can you give me your gardeners info or ask them to come and see me if they refuse?'.

Because their gardeners are refusing to do mine when I ask them.

Telling them to do it themselves would cause far too much tension.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any noticeboards in your area. Put a notice saying grass cutting wanted once a month and leave your mobile number so they can phone you

Associate
OP
Any noticeboards in your area. Put a notice saying grass cutting wanted once a month and leave your mobile number so they can phone you

No notice boards, and I would want every 2 months.

Online check a trade type sites don't get any interest either.

I put up needing a gardener, electrician and window cleaning, emailed at least 5 for each, no replies.

Soldato
No notice boards, and I would want every 2 months.

Online check a trade type sites don't get any interest either.

I put up needing a gardener, electrician and window cleaning, emailed at least 5 for each, no replies.

Try your local citizens advice, they may know what to do or who to talk to in the Council about the garden bit anyway.

Don
This is probably why no gardener wants to touch it Leaving it 2 months makes it a nightmare of a job. Keeping a garden tidy is a little and often job.

Yeah, summer months is once-a-week for keeping on top of a lawn. No gardener is going to bother taking on a customer for £10/month (average).

If your weeds are body height I can see why your neighbours and the HA are complaining. A wild garden intended to be full of wild flowers is very different from a messy / unkept garden. Wild gardens still need to be tended

Associate
OP
This is probably why no gardener wants to touch it Leaving it 2 months makes it a nightmare of a job. Keeping a garden tidy is a little and often job.

I see, I didn't realize as such, but still they wont come monthly, I only requested a one off as required for now.

Yeah, summer months is once-a-week for keeping on top of a lawn. No gardener is going to bother taking on a customer for £10/month (average).

I dont actually have 'lawns' you see, they died a long time ago. Never got around to putting down grass seed and mow its all covered in wild growth again.

Last edited:

bJN

bJN

Soldato
I'd just be on to the housing association saying they need to provide assistance. You're physically incapable of doing the manual labour and you are seeking their assistance to appease their requirements. This is assuming they know about your disability?

Soldato

We have a gardener, i **** you not. He won't come in the rain! Then if he doesn't come it's another 2 weeks until the next slot rather than making up that hour when he can. It's incredibly annoying!

We don't even get him to cut grass etc, just tidying up of weeds/trying to control plants etc in the raised beds.

Back
Top Bottom