People and beaches

Soldato
Love the beach but not crowds, went to noth Perranporth last Saturday and only a handful due to no nearby parking,, tourists are lazy so stick to certain areas, got some driftwood and chilled a short time, wouldn't fancy a full day baking in the sun.
Winter is best, better waves no crowds, storm watching ect

Soldato
Oh yes, and wifi. Useful if you're working. I was part of the "I hate beaches" crowd until I discovered them. It turns out that I don't hate beaches: I hate crowds, noisy people, cigarette ends on the ground and some **** charging me for a ****ing parasol and sundecks which are six inches apart.

Agreed, we're luckily in that we rarely visit my parents in peak summer so the beaches aren't usually too bad and they live near some incredible little quiet bays which i imagine would be heaving in the summer. I've also found paddle boarding brilliant for finding little beaches that most people can't access!

Paying for sunbeds does annoy me though, i remember doing that in Corfu and it gets expensive when there's 4 of you!

Caporegime
I love the beach but also don't like crowds. In South Wales the beaches never get rammed like they do in Brighton and other places. And the beaches are gorgeous and get better the further west you go.

I don't mind people being there. Mostly everyone is happy and having a nice time.

Obviously I hate the litter. This is disgusting. And loud speakers suck. Was pleasantly surprised at Rhossili on Sunday almost no litter when I left.

I moved to Wales for the beaches. Don't regret it for a second.

I'm going again tonight. Must have been to beach 20 times this year. In Lincolnshire I went maybe once a year

WKkhax5.jpg

My favourite recent pic taken not long before heat wave. Beautiful

Soldato
I love the beach but also don't like crowds. In South Wales the beaches never get rammed like they do in Brighton and other places. And the beaches are gorgeous and get better the further west you go.

Yeah Brighton sucks when it's really hot, I was down there the other day and can see why I rarely go. Saying that I was part of the problem so I can't really complain :p

Caporegime
Yeah Brighton sucks when it's really hot, I was down there the other day and can see why I rarely go. Saying that I was part of the problem so I can't really complain :p
yeah I've never been. Obviously it's far and I never would. But occupying a few square feet? It would drive me crazy.

Can't be hypocritical and complain when you go. I'm same. I'd love an empty beach. But not gonna happen in a heat wave!

Soldato
I don't so much mind the tourism, I get that it's nice going to the seaside in summer.

What I cannot tolerate is the lack of respect, the selfness of some people is just incredible. Leaving plastic bags full of rubbish, bottles etc along with those with kids who leave behind and/or lose toys in the sea. Absolute man-sausage strokers.

Capodecina
Soldato
Yeah Brighton sucks when it's really hot, I was down there the other day and can see why I rarely go.

Brighton sucks all the time. But especially when it's hot. It's one of the most dislikeable towns in the country. Ugly, noisy and overcrowded and sells itself on the fact that it has a [crap] beach. I think it was probably fine 20-30 years ago but now it's just awful.

Capodecina
Soldato
Is it because there are no other beaches around Brighton it gets so busy?

I mean, it's completely overwhelming from pics I see.

I think it's because it's the closest to London and it has direct transport links.

Try getting a train back from Brighton to London on a Sunday afternoon/evening in hot weather. It's like being in a livestock transporter.

Caporegime
I think it's because it's the closest to London and it has direct transport links.

Try getting a train back from Brighton to London on a Sunday afternoon/evening in hot weather. It's like being in a livestock transporter.

I guess a lot don't drive in cities like that too. so you only have the train.
Man, travelling to Brighton h by train with your beach stuff in that oven to sit on a beach with no space to do it on the way back?

I bet that's why there's so much litter. People just leave it all than take it home.

That direct link to London. Yeah can't be many other options for London people

Soldato
Because it's fun swimming in the sea and using the body board things to drag the kids along and crash in the waves. It's fun playing cricket/football/chuck the ball in the water. It's fun building sand castles and moats for the water to flow into when the tide comes in. It's fun digging a hole and covering it with a towel and getting grandad to sit down in it. It's fun eating ice creams, sharing your lunch with wasps, getting sun burnt and having to brave the public toilets. We are brits....this is what we do. :)

Soldato
Brighton sucks all the time. But especially when it's hot. It's one of the most dislikeable towns in the country. Ugly, noisy and overcrowded and sells itself on the fact that it has a [crap] beach. I think it was probably fine 20-30 years ago but now it's just awful.

Brighton is great.

Loads of history, museums, theatres. Great music scene, welcoming to anyone and everyone. Surrounded by green belt on one side and the ocean on the other.

It's only ever crowded when the weather is hot and all the Londoners come down, which is when it sucks.

Is it because there are no other beaches around Brighton it gets so busy?

I mean, it's completely overwhelming from pics I see.

The pics are a bit misleading, they're always taken on telephoto lenses that compress the image and make it seem more crowded than it is. It does get very busy though

1626777188274.png

That was about 4PM on Sunday and about as busy as it gets.

Man of Honour

I don't mind people being there. Mostly everyone is happy and having a nice time.

Obviously I hate the litter. This is disgusting. And loud speakers suck. Was pleasantly surprised at Rhossili on Sunday almost no litter when I left.

I moved to Wales for the beaches. Don't regret it for a second.

I'm going again tonight. Must have been to beach 20 times this year. In Lincolnshire I went maybe once a year

WKkhax5.jpg

My favourite recent pic taken not long before heat wave. Beautiful

It’s true. Busy welsh beaches aren’t even close to busy Brighton and the like beaches. Many welsh beaches are difficult to access - those are the best. I always found them great places to reflect on life and do some reading too, it’s where I did most of my research pre-reading before flying off to the states.

Caporegime
Brighton is great.

Loads of history, museums, theatres. Great music scene, welcoming to anyone and everyone. Surrounded by green belt on one side and the ocean on the other.

It's only ever crowded when the weather is hot and all the Londoners come down, which is when it sucks.

The pics are a bit misleading, they're always taken on telephoto lenses that compress the image and make it seem more crowded than it is. It does get very busy though

1626777188274.png

That was about 4PM on Sunday and about as busy as it gets.

Yeah I get the camera tricks bit. Same as trying to get a good pic of bluebells!

That does look busy though. It's fine if you're just after sun and sea but it's too much for me.

Caporegime
It’s true. Busy welsh beaches aren’t even close to busy Brighton and the like beaches. Many welsh beaches are difficult to access - those are the best. I always found them great places to reflect on life and do some reading too, it’s where I did most of my research pre-reading before flying off to the states.

My favs is when get to a beach and I can kayak round to a more secluded no access by road beach.
Even at the busiest of times you might have 3 or 4 walkers. Pwll-Du is a quick kayak from Caswell but a bit of a walk. Enough to keep kids and 'lads' away.

Soldato
I'm fortunate in that the Outlaws have a static caravan in Wells (north Norfolk) we go there quite a bit.

It means somewhere to park, 5 min walk to the beach you just at avoid all the hassle, don't have to drive home, can drink beer pit the BBQ on after.

It does get busy there specially August, but if you walk 20 minutes down the beach just between wells and holkham it's a lot quieter and a nicer bit of the beach imo.

But that whole north Norfolk coast is beautiful, if you walk from the beach car park at Cley west along the shingle beach/spit there you won't see anyone, and it's a nature reserve loads of seals.

But I agree with the OP, the thought of going to the beach otherwise if we didn't have that caravan just sounds like a nightmare.

Man of Honour
My favs is when get to a beach and I can kayak round to a more secluded no access by road beach.
Even at the busiest of times you might have 3 or 4 walkers. Pwll-Du is a quick kayak from Caswell but a bit of a walk. Enough to keep kids and 'lads' away.

Pwll-Du was just along from the beach I used to go to - I forget the name, it was near brandy cove if I remember correctly. Parents used to live in Southgate, so could walk to several of the beaches quite easily.

Edit: don’t think it was brandy cove, I’ll remember one of these days. Basically the next beach cove along from hunts bay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom