Poll: British Grand Prix 2021, Silverstone - Race 10/23

Rate the 2021 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Capodecina
Soldato
. . .Whatever the Lewis fanboys want to say about the incident the stewards, with far more information to hand than us armchair fans, blamed Lewis and without any doubt. . . .
As a person who is I take it, an armchair fanboy but not a "Lewis fanboy", how do you know that the Stewards had "no doubt" that it was Hamilton's fault?

I suspect that if the Stewards had had "no doubt" about Hamilton's culpability they would have imposed a stricter penalty; they did I believe, have other, more harmful options.

By all accounts, Verstappen is a repeat offender, consistently making aggressive moves, pushing his luck and in the case of Ocon last year making a massive error of judgement; on this occasion he came unstuck and probably lost 25 points as a result.

Associate
Having watched Norris n Russell in F2 in 2018 I would agree it would be great to see them and LeClerc in the mix more... Lewis only signed for 2 more years so he can exceed The Michael's 7 Championships rather than be equal... I'd be surprised if he goes beyond that 2 years IF he gets his 1 more

Associate
As a person who is I take it, an armchair fanboy but not a "Lewis fanboy", how do you know that the Stewards had "no doubt" that it was Hamilton's fault?

I suspect that if the Stewards had had "no doubt" about Hamilton's culpability they would have imposed a stricter penalty; they did I believe, have other, more harmful options.

By all accounts, Verstappen is a repeat offender, consistently making aggressive moves, pushing his luck and in the case of Ocon last year making a massive error of judgement; on this occasion he came unstuck and probably lost 25 points as a result.

Martin Brundle blog reminds us all they said Lewis PREDOMINANTLY to blame.. ie SHARED but MOSTLY... Max is partly to blame.. Kinda obvious but some people need reminding....

Caporegime
Having watched Norris n Russell in F2 in 2018 I would agree it would be great to see them and LeClerc in the mix more... Lewis only signed for 2 more years so he can exceed The Michael's 7 Championships rather than be equal... I'd be surprised if he goes beyond that 2 years IF he gets his 1 more
I was going to say a Russell Piastri super team but Piastri is an Alpine academy driver. Got to feel for Zhou when Piastri gets the seat ahead of him when Alonso finishes up!

Soldato
It's funny that we play it back in slow motion and analyze it so much. When you watch it back in real time from each of the on boards, it happens so, so fast it's simply two guys trying to drive fast around a corner. There is literally no time to make decisions to muck up your opponent or deliberately do anything other than try to get around the corner first without crashing. Max could have given more space and Lewis could have backed off earlier but they didn't. Why does someone always need to be blamed in an ACCIDENT. The very definition of the word seems to be lost these days.

Man of Honour
I suspect that's the exact reason he's signed up for two years. He will retire if he gets his 8th in that term and I can see Russell moving into his seat should that happen which I would love.

Soldato
They are both repeat offenders, essentially bad as each other. It was only a matter of time this was going to happen, and probably will happen again this season.
Next race is going to be spicy.

Soldato
Certainly going to make it a bit more spicy going forward as Merc seem to have clawed some pace back and have circuits that should suit the car coming up (perhaps not Hungary although historically they've gone quite well there). As said above the budget cap and component limit stuff will be a big affect on RBR between now and the end of the season and could have knock on effects to next years development.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It's funny that we play it back in slow motion and analyze it so much. When you watch it back in real time from each of the on boards, it happens so, so fast it's simply two guys trying to drive fast around a corner.

Its the same in football. They look at a nasty tackle at 1/4 speed and suddenly the guy hasn't been a little reckless, hes taken his time, chosen where he wants his studs to impact and then intentionally raked up the guys leg afterwards. They are going at ~200mph. These are split second decisions and although their reactions are amazing, they aren't superhuman and can't influence anything outside their own control. 2 drivers expected the other to do something differently and neither did. A crash resulted and Hamilton got lucky that he came off far better.

Associate
Honda said they dont yet know and are taking it back to Japan to check it... presumably X-rays and similar to look for fractures and will need to be supervised by FIA

Soldato
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/8963...r-to-investigate-action-against-hamilton.html

Been reading some of the comments on here (and other articles) and it's hilarious.

Yeah. Wow.

I mean...

""That's ridiculous, but maybe it's the fault of the regulations. The regulations need to be reviewed, as well as the stewards' system. Perez gets two five-second penalties for marginal contact where no one flies off. You could have given a ten-second penalty plus drive-through for Hamilton, but they didn't.''

It brings us back to a suggestion further up that would in no way ever be workable. You cannot impose different sentences based on the severity of the outcome of a supposedly wrong action. If a tail ender hit MV in the same way there would not be this same witch hunt to hurt Hamilton. It's targeted, calculated and a deliberate pursuit to put pressure on Hamilton and Merc which will end up being a waste of time, resource and money which will only paint Redbull in worse light.

Man of Honour
Red bull just look like a bunch of muppets at this point given some of the things that Horner, Marko, Jos and Max have come out with. I’m sure the Dutch fans and Hamilton haters will lap it up though. Max will likely still win the championship, but it will amuse me no end if they didn’t after this fiasco.

Associate
Can I just mention that Maxine's Dad trashed Juan-Pablo Montoya's first win when as a backmarker he drove into the back of the race leader.. Brazil 2001, not that I am butt hurt much STILL :D

Caporegime
I suspect that's the exact reason he's signed up for two years. He will retire if he gets his 8th in that term and I can see Russell moving into his seat should that happen which I would love.

What makes you so sure the Mercedes will be dominant through the rule change? When in history has a team maintained that dominance through a rule change? Mercedes got the current regs spot on from the beginning which is why they have maintained that dominance. Likewise with RB before, Ferrari before that and Williams before that. Ironically the longer the FIA keep the rules the same the closer the competition ends up getting but they think they are doing everyone a favour :p.

For all we know Williams have excellent practice at making their own whole car for next to nothing so could well be pack leaders next year.

If anything Lewis is the smart one. He only has one season at Mercedes under the new regs. If it doesn't work out he can jump ship and go somewhere else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom