• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

F1 2021: PC graphics performance benchmark review

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
Runs really well on full details settings inc Ray Tracing on my sons 2060 Super although that is 1080p :)
Not had chance to try it yet as I`m sharing his Steam Library and was intending to play it when he has gone to bed on my PC but its just been too hot at night.

Soldato
Yes is a bit higher than some other games of late.

I've toggled Ray Tracing on and off and can't notice much difference in image quality.
Given how Ray Tracing is used at the moment image quality shouldn't be much better as isn't the whole point of Ray Tracing though to make it easier for developers by cutting down on time spent on coding? Have hardware based RT that can render in natural lighting and shadows means the coding team doesn't have to write it all our in code and 'cheat' it into the game?

Associate
Given how Ray Tracing is used at the moment image quality shouldn't be much better as isn't the whole point of Ray Tracing though to make it easier for developers by cutting down on time spent on coding? Have hardware based RT that can render in natural lighting and shadows means the coding team doesn't have to write it all our in code and 'cheat' it into the game?
Right now it is not making anything easier since they also need a non RT version. So RT is extra work in every game. Maybe in the future when we will see games made for RT cards only, the job of the devs will be easier.

Caporegime
OP
I tested performance whilst recording using Relive (videos uploading to YT).

Here are the results.

2160P 4K Ultra Preset
Bahrain in-game benchmark(default bench settings, dry, etc)
6900 XT

Ray Tracing Off
E1HUPDz.png

Ray Tracing On
s4aHDK7.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I tested performance whilst recording using Relive (videos uploading to YT).

Here are the results.

2160P 4K Ultra Preset
6900 XT

Ray Tracing Off
E1HUPDz.png

Ray Tracing On
s4aHDK7.png
2160P 4K Ultra Preset
6900 XT

4K quality video may take a while before its available knowing YouTube.

Ray Tracing Off

Ray Tracing On

Soldato

Yes RT cuts down significantly on time spent in development- but and it's a big but, only if you don't have to still spend time building in a raster fall back using baked lights, baked shadows and screen space effects.

so right now the choice is: save time by only using RT in your game, but that means anyone who doesn't have a card for RT can't run your game, or build in a raster fall back so more people can run the game but this adds significantly more development time.

So for this reason, we don't see many games RT only games - to my knowledge there are only 2 or 3 RT only games on the market, one is AAA and the other 2 are indies

Associate
Game plays and looks great even on this old R9 290 at 1440p High Profile - TAA + FidelityFX Sharpening.

Of course AMD had to can the 290 support right before the f1 2021 performance update ;)

Back
Top Bottom