People and beaches

Man of Honour
There's nothing like sitting on the beach on a nice day in your speedos but I'm not one for paying for beach or resort holidays abroad.

I’m not one for arguing about it, and in all honesty I’ve no idea of the prices involved in a beach or resort holiday in U.K., it wouldn’t appeal to me no matter where in U.K. the beach or resort was.
But I’d guess that the beach or resort accommodation prices are not a million miles apart, no matter where you go, it would be the airfare and car rental that would jack up the price.
In the nineties and early two thousands, I could get a 3 bedroomed, air conditioned pool home in S.W. Florida or Texas for between £350 - £500 per week, with direct BA flights from London to Tampa for £650-£700, and a tad more for London to Brownsville TX, with one stop in Houston, to go to Padre Island.

Soldato
Spread the word, heard its great all year round. Especially the coves and the hills!

yep the words out but they wont move beyond afew hundred yards, my spot on Saturday was very quiet, north Perranporth, will do polzeath when the swell kicks in agaim but very early

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/gallery/pictures-show-crowds-cramming-onto-5672242

Screenshot-20210720-190546-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Caporegime
Unless you are holidaying nearby, never understood this thing with certain people thinking they have to go to seaside when it’s warm weather.

Struggling to find a car park spot
Queuing everywhere from toilets, food etc
Not relaxing

Didn’t like the concept before the Covid pandemic either.

Don’t complain about beaches etc being busy when it’s hot

People who actually live by the sea know the actual spots where to go so you get none of the above.

Soldato
I’m not one for arguing about it, and in all honesty I’ve no idea of the prices involved in a beach or resort holiday in U.K., it wouldn’t appeal to me no matter where in U.K. the beach or resort was.
But I’d guess that the beach or resort accommodation prices are not a million miles apart, no matter where you go, it would be the airfare and car rental that would jack up the price.
In the nineties and early two thousands, I could get a 3 bedroomed, air conditioned pool home in S.W. Florida or Texas for between £350 - £500 per week, with direct BA flights from London to Tampa for £650-£700, and a tad more for London to Brownsville TX, with one stop in Houston, to go to Padre Island.

I live 2 miles from beach or 3 miles from better beach. There is no cost or accommodation fees involved.

Commissario
Mrs. Feek and I went for a walk along the beach yesterday evening, about half an hour before sunset. At least we tried, by a terrible miscalculation (ie I didn't check) it was just half an hour before high tide.

The small amount of beach was pleasant enough though.

385tgbS.jpeg

Bonus points if anyone can identify this one:
jWMbIey.jpeg

Soldato
Yes but I would much prefer camping next to a lake as at least when you get out from a dip you are not covered in salt. The Lake District is equally beautiful.

That's a good point. It just gets so busy though, especially the more Eastern Lakes like Coniston which has great clean water. At some point i'd like to head over to somewhere like Basenthwaite with my paddle board. Camp up, go for a massive run on one day, then get a decent paddle in on the next day.

Soldato

Ah good choice, Florida beaches are great (especially st petes area) warm water, water sports availiable, not full of chavs and won't be covered in litter at the end of the day.

Although maybe not at the moment with the red tide problems theyre having.

Soldato
I went to Skegness for the day, a few weeks back when we had a bit of a rainy cold spell, I had never been and won't ever go again. I was expecting the place to be fairly quiet for a working week day and with the weather being not so great, but the place was pretty busy. I can't imagine what it would be like now in this hot spell.

Soldato
I went to Skegness for the day, a few weeks back when we had a bit of a rainy cold spell, I had never been and won't ever go again. I was expecting the place to be fairly quite for a working week day and with the weather being not so great, but the place was pretty busy. I can't imagine what it would be like now in this hot spell.

Yeah. Skeg really the pits. There's some quiet nice spots North and South though. And there's the Lincolnshire Wolds.

Man of Honour
Ah good choice, Florida beaches are great (especially st petes area) warm water, water sports availiable, not full of chavs and won't be covered in litter at the end of the day.

Although maybe not at the moment with the red tide problems theyre having.

I’d heard a bit about “red tide” from a friend in Spring Hill FL, his daughter is a deputy sheriff in Pinellas County and she’d told him of beach goers who’d reported mild breathing problems after coming into contact with the reddish algae.
Doubt that we’d have been affected though, not being beach people, the nearest that we ever got was having dinner in the waterfront restaurants, like Bon Appetit at Dunedin, or Ozona Blue, at Ozona, near Dunedin.
The best way to avoid chavs when in Florida, (in my opinion), is to stick to the east coast, Port St Lucie, Vero Beach, down to Boca Raton, or the Gulf Coast, Sarasota, Bradenton, Venice, Fort Myers, and avoid Orlando like the plague!
Of course, if the kids want to see Mr. M. Mouse, you’ll have to suck it up! :(

Soldato
I’d heard a bit about “red tide” from a friend in Spring Hill FL, his daughter is a deputy sheriff in Pinellas County and she’d told him of beach goers who’d reported mild breathing problems after coming into contact with the reddish algae.
Doubt that we’d have been affected though, not being beach people, the nearest that we ever got was having dinner in the waterfront restaurants, like Bon Appetit at Dunedin, or Ozona Blue, at Ozona, near Dunedin.
The best way to avoid chavs when in Florida, (in my opinion), is to stick to the east coast, Port St Lucie, Vero Beach, down to Boca Raton, or the Gulf Coast, Sarasota, Bradenton, Venice, Fort Myers, and avoid Orlando like the plague!
Of course, if the kids want to see Mr. M. Mouse, you’ll have to suck it up! :(

Yea we've only been to the gulf coast and the keys, (except for visiting Kennedy space center) I wouldnt go anywhere where theres a high risk of being around british louts, luckily most of them seem to stick to europe.

Back
Top Bottom