** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I watched the first men land on the moon.
Still waiting for something better. :(

For $24 mil I would want to go in to outer space and come back :)

Yeah, I don't think you're Blue Origin's target demographic :cry:

That's kind of like buying a Concorde ticket in 1980 then moaning about the size of the seat.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
@Raymond Lin - if the argument is environmental... don't you drive a Volvo C30 T5 as a daily still? Surely a smaller-engined car would get you where you need to go just as quickly without glugging petrol quite the same way as a 2.5 turbo five pot can and often does...

Caporegime
@Raymond Lin - if the argument is environmental... don't you drive a Volvo C30 T5 as a daily still? Surely a smaller-engined car would get you where you need to go just as quickly without glugging petrol quite the same way as a 2.5 turbo five pot can and often does...

I knew someone would bring my car up, I should have written a really LONG posts with lots of brackets and lists the things I am already aware of instead of people telling me things I am aware of one post at a time.

As I said, the world has changed, I bought my car over 5 years ago. I could sell it a get a new electric car? Then how much good will that do for the environment to make a new car just to satisfy this argument and would that make you happy?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I knew someone would bring my car up, I should have written a really LONG posts with lots of brackets and lists the things I am already aware of instead of people telling me things I am aware of one post at a time.

As I said, the world has changed, I bought my car over 5 years ago. I could sell it a get a new electric car? Then how much good will that do for the environment to make a new car just to satisfy this argument and would that make you happy?

God, no. Buying a whole new car would be lousy for the environment. Terrible idea.

I just wouldn't have bought a T5 ovloV in the first place if I had any pro 'environmental responsibility' leanings lurking in my head :p

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yeah, only limited by their imagination.

Lets put a man on the moon again before we start thinking about 'all polluting industry being moved off world'. :p

But that's exactly what going back to the moon is preparing for - a permanent moon base, building habitats autonomously etc.

It not a case anymore of "lets do a. Right, now that's done, what shall we do for b?" Not looking beyond the next big this is precisely what has stifled space exploration so far. We're now doing a then b then c then d to ultimately end up at e.

Caporegime
God, no. Buying a whole new car would be lousy for the environment. Terrible idea.

I just wouldn't have bought a T5 ovloV in the first place if I had any pro 'environmental responsibility' leanings lurking in my head :p

Exactly, it’s much better to just drive mine as long as I can, besides I do below average miles compare to most.

I’m not against going to space, I just think space tourism in the short term a waste of resources. You don’t get anything up from there, you come back where you started. Sure, and yes, I am aware of that it may eventually lead somewhere and that I am also aware of you need to start small. And it is impressive what they pulled off today.

It’s just my perspective on it right now, different to before, it might change again in 5 years. Who knows.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Surely driving a T5 is better for the environment anyway? It's recycling dead critters at a faster rate than most cars would, ergo it's actually better for the environment! :D

Caporegime
I love that space flight has become so common place that it's now boring.

Ironically, I find that exciting :)

It is not really space flight. It's almost like going to the Gypsy fair when in reality the real deal is Nemesis at Alton Towers.

Why don't they just rent a seat in a Soyuz?

I see this as no different to those planes that dive quickly to simulate no gravity.

Last edited:
Commissario
I see this as no different to those planes that dive quickly to simulate no gravity.
It isn't - It's the vomit comet at a higher altitude.

I feel that to call these people astronauts is an insult to the word astronaut. They are passengers, nothing more.

The technology is fantastic, that rocket landing back was incredible to watch and hopefully it will progress further but they're really not astronauts.

Caporegime
It isn't - It's the vomit comet at a higher altitude.

I feel that to call these people astronauts is an insult to the word astronaut. They are passengers, nothing more.

The technology is fantastic, that rocket landing back was incredible to watch and hopefully it will progress further but they're really not astronauts.

The whole thing was automated wasn't it? It would be like sitting at a 2 seater F1 car and call yourself a F1 driver.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Are you conflating astronaut with pilot? No requirement to also be a pilot to qualify as an astronaut (otherwise 80% of space shuttle astronauts wouldn't be an astronauts either).

An astronaut (from the Greek "astron" (ἄστρον), meaning "star", and "nautes" (ναύτης), meaning "sailor") is a person trained, equipped, and deployed by a human spaceflight program to serve as a commander or crew member aboard a spacecraft.

Back
Top Bottom