Cheap workhorse with decent MPG

IC3

IC3

Soldato
What car comes to your mind when you hear "Cheap workhorse with decent MPG" ? First thing that comes to my mind is Passat Estate 1.9TDI, or some type of Volvo...

I basically need something that is fairly simple to fix, will have a bit of boot space and will be under £1k. I could probably get away with a Hatchback, doesn't necessarily have to be an estate.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
What's decent MPG? You can have my civic for £1k when I get round to replacing it; served me well for the years I've had it, facilitated two relocations and a 40 mile each-way commute averaging ~40MPG :p

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
What's decent MPG? You can have my civic for £1k when I get round to replacing it; served me well for the years I've had it, facilitated two relocations and a 40 mile each-way commute averaging ~40MPG :p
PM me info

Anything above 40MPG is good imo. :D

Caporegime
I’d hunt down a pre 2006 Volvo V70 D5, I say pre 06 as they have no DPF, EGR or any of that crap, I bought mine a year ago (@167k miles) and after a further 11000 miles it’s not missed a beat and other than a full service and cam-belt and auxiliary belt change it’s not needed anything.

Supremely comfortable, surprisingly good to drive , very good on fuel for such an old big bus (consistently returning high 40’s mpg) and - for a diesel - the 5 cylinder D5 engine sounds really good when you give it the beans.

I couldn’t recommend one highly enough.

My plan was to buy a load lugger that wouldn’t let me down as a temporary car and this has more than met my expectations, so much so I’ve now got no interest in changing it as was my initial plan.

Whilst I’m not necessarily saying buy this exact one, the mileage speaks volumes for the durability of the D5 engine (300,000!)
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106163903031

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I’d hunt down a pre 2006 Volvo V70 D5, I say pre 06 as they have no DPF, EGR or any of that crap, I bought mine a year ago (@167k miles) and after a further 11000 miles it’s not missed a beat and other than a full service and cam-belt and auxiliary belt change it’s not needed anything.

Supremely comfortable, surprisingly good to drive , very good on fuel for such an old big bus (consistently returning high 40’s mpg) and - for a diesel - the 5 cylinder D5 engine sounds really good when you give it the beans.

I couldn’t recommend one highly enough.

My plan was to buy a load lugger that wouldn’t let me down as a temporary car and this has more than met my expectations, so much so I’ve now got no interest in changing it as was my initial plan.

Whilst I’m not necessarily saying buy this exact one, the mileage speaks volumes for the durability of the D5 engine (300,000!)
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106163903031
I would probably go for something like the V50 instead, V70 is just too big.

Soldato
Ford Focus TDCI, quite cheap to run. There are things to watch for, like the 2005 models can have water leaks from the roof rails.

Skoda Octavia if it fits your budget.

Caporegime
I would probably go for something like the V50 instead, V70 is just too big.
The one thing I’ve noticed about the V70 - which was a big car in its day - is it isn’t that big at all when parked at my local supermarket compared to modern stuff.

If you do go for a V50 make sure it’s the D5 engine, although I’d certainly try a V70, I don’t find mine that big at all although I do drive articulated trucks for a living…. :D

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
The one thing I’ve noticed about the V70 - which was a big car in its day - is it isn’t that big at all when parked at my local supermarket compared to modern stuff.

If you do go for a V50 make sure it’s the D5 engine, although I’d certainly try a V70, I don’t find mine that big at all although I do drive articulated trucks for a living…. :D
How much did you pay for yours, if you don't mind me asking? Private or Dealer?

Associate
Audi A4 Avant (B6) with a PD130 1.9tdi, Or Skoda Octavia with the same engine.

The Octavia will have a McPearson strut at the from and the Audi has Mulit-link. So front suspension issues will be easier to sort on the Octavia.

Or Maybe a VW Touran with the 1.9tdi. With the back seats out there is loads of space for moving stuff

Last edited:
Soldato
PM me info

Anything above 40MPG is good imo. :D

That's not a decent MPG though, most modern day petrols will get 40MPG. Decent would be in the 60+ range, but then you'd be looking at a diesel, and i'd probably shudder at paying a grand for a diesel.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
That's not a decent MPG though, most modern day petrols will get 40MPG. Decent would be in the 60+ range, but then you'd be looking at a diesel, and i'd probably shudder at paying a grand for a diesel.
40+MPG from a 15 year old 1.8 petrol I'd argue is actually very decent, considering the budget limitations we're talking about! You're not getting a modern petrol workhorse for that money. But I do agree on the diesel perspective unless it doesn't have a DPF.

Back
Top Bottom