The decreasing standards of written English

Man of Honour
Haha, I remember my (mostly illiterate/poorly schooled father [skills entirely in the practical world]) telling me about the 3R's when I was younger. I thought he was stitching me up/having a moment.

Depends how old you were at the time I guess, I recall hearing “the three R’s” donkeys years ago, it took me all of one second to work out that the speaker was talking about reading, w(r)iting, and (a)rithmetic.

A Weegie Schemie! :cool:

Here we go again, I know that a weegie is a Glaswegian, but I guess that schemiel is a typo for schlemiel.

Also while trying to find examples of any such things from the UK, I found 'people who spell correctly are demented' ...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/good-grammar-is-old-fashioned-unnecessary-and-bad-for-your-career/

This is a must for my wife, she has a razor sharp intellect, and will debate you to death on global politics, but can’t spell for toffee, e.g. Belguim for Belgium, stollen for stolen.
When I told her that stollen was a German Christmas fruit cake, she came back with this classic, “You’re only saying that because you can speak French”, I rest my case.

If you are on Facebook and want a group of poor spelling etc on signs, menus - this is a group for you https://www.facebook.com/groups/318594539802

This too is right up the whacky redhead’s street.

Sorry, I thought grammar and such was meant to be a part of getting a job.

If as you say it matters so much, how come most of your department can't write then?

Has anyone ever been sacked for having poor literacy? Is it even a requirement for any job?
—————————————————————————————————————-
Proof reader?

I couldnt care less about spelling or grammar, I type as my brain thinks the spelling should be.
For "professional" work yeah its important I guess, but for everything else, no it doesn't make any difference tbh as long as you can actually get what the person means.
——————————————————————————————————————————
You mean like “The Check Republic?”, or, “bred with hunny?”

Soldato
Depends how old you were at the time I guess, I recall hearing “the three R’s” donkeys years ago, it took me all of one second to work out that the speaker was talking about reading, w(r)iting, and (a)rithmetic.
Now Jean-F, normally a man of such good standing I would let such a mistake slide. But given the mistake is highlighting the very nuance of the common use of the phrase the 'three R's' I must point out the irony in such an error.

And I was about 7, so yeah. :p

Caporegime
I'm just lazy, I see mistakes I've made in texts and the likes and I just can't be bothered going back and correcting them. It was never that good to begin with in fairness but right now it's abysmal.

Soldato
I just received an out of office which read "My usual working hours are 1-5pm. I will not be monitoring emails during this time."

Do we assume they are monitored outside of these hours? Roll on the 4am replies!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I just received an out of office which read "My usual working hours are 1-5pm. I will not be monitoring emails during this time."

Do we assume they are monitored outside of these hours? Roll on the 4am replies!

Its quite good though, I have to agree that these out of hours expectations to be hawking over your messages is not on for most employers and needs some attention to make it about quality > quantity and these weird mindsets that you have to be overworked to be respected.

Man of Honour
Now Jean-F, normally a man of such good standing I would let such a mistake slide. But given the mistake is highlighting the very nuance of the common use of the phrase the 'three R's' I must point out the irony in such an error.

And I was about 7, so yeah. :p

Would I have escaped your gentle admonishment if I’d put, reading, ‘riting ‘n’ ‘rithmetic? ;)

Soldato
Most spelling mistakes online are genuine typos. Especially when typing on touch screens, inaccuracy in pressing the letters is the biggest bane to correct spelling.

I always try to edit my typos, on the whole most of my written grammar is flawless.

But I still get branded an idiot of course because perfect grammar doesn't make you special.

Then everyone who you do see that is supposedly meant to be clever cannot write a single line correctly even if their lives depended on it.

The point that the OP points out that even teachers cannot write correctly coincides with my statements that most teachers are idiots that shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near children.

And then you wonder why even students that get straight A's still cant write and speak correctly. The entire education system has been dumbed down to the core, correct answers are marked wrong for not using the newest woke method that nobody other than the teacher understands, spelling mistakes are allowed to slide because correcting them is some kind of 'ism' based on race or being low class.

'Its not Jamal's fault he cannot write and spell correctly, he is black and poor'.

Following which every other student needs to also be taught and graded based on what Jamal requires to understand and pass things.

It isn't. You live in the past, yet your language is not different from the modern students you're complaining about.

One thing that I do like about this forum's openly racist posters is that they identify themselves very quickly.

Associate
It isn't. You live in the past, yet your language is not different from the modern students you're complaining about.

One thing that I do like about this forum's openly racist posters is that they identify themselves very quickly.

I can't be racist, I'm black.

I guess everyone thinks I'm so eloquent and well spoken ... For a black person.

Racism in the UK is mostly subtle. The people that think that black people are less intelligent are white liberals who straight up think I'm too dumb to understand how to get an identity card or proof for voter ID.

Soldato
I can't be racist, I'm black.

I guess everyone thinks I'm so eloquent and well spoken ... For a black person.

Racism in the UK is mostly subtle. The people that think that black people are less intelligent are white liberals who straight up think I'm too dumb to understand how to get an identity card or proof for voter ID.
You literally had to have a care worker try and help you find a gardener, so whilst I think the comment you made is egregious I don't think you're a good anti-pattern for it.

Back
Top Bottom