Poll: British Grand Prix 2021, Silverstone - Race 10/23

Rate the 2021 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I think the desperation from some fans to see anyone but Mercedes and Hamilton winning has caused them to lose all sense of sensibilities

It of course wasn't helped by all the emotional offensive Horner and Marko went on. Acting as if it was a 'professional foul' and kept uttering the words 'he was sent to hospital'

I'd love to see some people's arms because the reaches they're doing are mighty impressive

Caporegime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp0GG4y3is8

Analysis of the incident by Jolyon Palmer. As said earlier though, the line Lewis took through copse was his line throughout the weekend. The media offensive by the RBR camp is just unreal though.

Is it surprising though? as I've alluded to before in the Channel 4 coverage they had Christian Horner as pretty much a co-commentator and then there's also two ex-drivers in commentary (Webber and Coulthard), Red Bull were so embedded in the C4 coverage that they were always going to side with Verstappen, they were calling for a penalty for Hamilton pretty much as soon as it happened and as we heard with the radio feeds to the race director(?) there's a lot of lobbying goes on trying to influence stewarding decisions and I bet commentary is a part of that.

People have been arguing throughout that Hamilton didn't make the apex but the drivers collided before they even got there. I've looked at the footage again and Verstappen seems to turn left at one point as though he sees Hamilton and instincts to avoid a collision kicks in but then he just turns in towards the apex again. Maybe everyone should question what that was all about instead of getting bamboozled by all of Red Bull's smoke and mirrors about what Hamilton supposedly did wrong.

Last edited:
Commissario

Analysis of the incident by Jolyon Palmer. As said earlier though, the line Lewis took through copse was his line throughout the weekend. The media offensive by the RBR camp is just unreal though.
Yes, that's a really good analysis. The fact it's almost a carbon copy of the Grosjean accident which was deemed a racing incident makes the penalty seem even harsher.

Associate
Yes, that's a really good analysis. The fact it's almost a carbon copy of the Grosjean accident which was deemed a racing incident makes the penalty seem even harsher.
Yeap I agree. I guess though with LH surviving the incident, it was almost certainly going to be a penalty for him despite being a racing incident (rightly or wrongly). If they had both gone off like the Grosjean incident or if both had carried on with damage then it might have been no penalties. People thinking or claiming it was intentional are delusional, as with such incidents you wouldn't know how it would play out (i.e taking yourself out with the other car).
Although Masi claimed no other factors (like championship rivals) played a part in the penalty, I think it still did. Had the incident been further down the field, would the penalty have been any different (ofc we wouldn't know now).

Kudos to RBR to make a mountain out of a molehill though. That is some next level trolling.

Soldato
Nope. Next would be RBR claiming the expense of the repairs from Merc :D. Then maybe fight for penalties that might be applied due to requiring a new engine (if the incident has screwed up the engine) later in the championship.
You're joking, but it could be a major factor later in the season. The estimated damage was £750,000 and with the budget cap that might be quite a dent. Similar to Mercedes in Imola, where they suggested it might have an impact on their ability to bring upgrades.

There's also the issue of how much of the PU can be salvaged as if extra PU components are needed later in the year (likely given this was almost certainly a relatively fresh unit given the high-speed nature of Silverstone) then Verstappen will be facing grid penalties.

They might not necessarily be looking at sporting punishments for Hamilton (though it might be in their interests to have at look at them), but I guess it's mainly the technical ramifications.

Anyway, it's just what Marko is saying, so take it with a pinch of salt for now.

Man of Honour
Very fair analysis tbh

I think the part that stood out for me the most is Max seeing Lewis there, hesitating for a second, and then turning in anyway. It bit him in the backside this time. Usually he expects everyone to back out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it surprising though? as I've alluded to before in the Channel 4 coverage they had Christian Horner as pretty much a co-commentator and then there's also two ex-drivers in commentary (Webber and Coulthard), Red Bull were so embedded in the C4 coverage that they were always going to side with Verstappen, they were calling for a penalty for Hamilton pretty much as soon as it happened and as we heard with the radio feeds to the race director(?) there's a lot of lobbying goes on trying to influence stewarding decisions and I bet commentary is a part of that.

I keep saying that, I'm too cheap to pay for Sky these days so have been watching on CH4 and I'm pretty tired of the team.

In the interview with Horner they just stood there while he had a rant and asked one slightly awkward question about him not agreeing with the Stewards and that was as far as it went. The lead guy was more excited about Tom Cruise than anything else going on.

Soldato
I like the C4 coverage on the whole, but it definitely grated at the weekend - particularly around the collision and related discussions. Whilst I'm not surprised that Webber and Coulthard stuck up for Redbull, I was hoping they'd have been a little more impartial for the sake of reporting on television.

Soldato
I like the C4 coverage on the whole, but it definitely grated at the weekend - particularly around the collision and related discussions. Whilst I'm not surprised that Webber and Coulthard stuck up for Redbull, I was hoping they'd have been a little more impartial for the sake of reporting on television.
Yeah good point. I guess that's the issue when you have 2 people who are still in the pockets of Red Bull.

Man of Honour
too cheap to pay for Sky
It's grossly overpriced for what it is these days. The IQ for UHD is laughable, the sound is poor and you pay through the nose for the benefit. The IQ on Netflix F1 is so much better but Sky obviously compress the hell out of the feed they get from F1.

Capodecina
Soldato

An excellent, detailed analysis - thanks for that link.

I was particularly struck by Palmer at about 6 minutes 10 seconds, saying "Max turns in, has a slight check and then he turns in even more."; pretty clearly, Verstappen intended to intimidate Hamilton into backing out - as he had done earlier on the first lap and has perhaps done before where discretion was the sensible approach in terms of the long game.

Soldato
It's grossly overpriced for what it is these days. The IQ for UHD is laughable, the sound is poor and you pay through the nose for the benefit. The IQ on Netflix F1 is so much better but Sky obviously compress the hell out of the feed they get from F1.
All of this X a million. BUT, the commentary team on Sky are also a billion times better than Ch4

Soldato
An excellent, detailed analysis - thanks for that link.

I was particularly struck by Palmer at about 6 minutes 10 seconds, saying "Max turns in, has a slight check and then he turns in even more."; pretty clearly, Verstappen intended to intimidate Hamilton into backing out - as he had done earlier on the first lap and has perhaps done before where discretion was the sensible approach in terms of the long game.

As soon as you ask yourself "who drove into who?", then you're into "racing incident" or "Max did it to himself" territory.

Back
Top Bottom