Your experience with OLED burn-in

Associate
My recently sold C7 also had zero issues.

There seems to be a mix of people on this thread with no issues while others with burn-in. It may just be that the B6 was a particularly bad model. An LG support person I spoke to did say the screens vary significantly in terms of susceptibility to screen burn with the same content. While that doesn't help, it may mean some people are just lucky/unlucky depending on what end of the spectrum you are within the LG acceptable display manufacturing limits. As for the posts on the C9, I can only hope these are more reliable but you may want to report back in a year to update everyone.

Clearly some people will watch channels with logos for hours, have set brightness/contrast etc to higher levels or used settings that do this by default but without any warnings in the settings should a user have to really monitor their viewing? I think it's reasonable to expect your TV to be able to support watching normal TV (which could be 24 hour news if that's your thing!). TVs are not expert user equipment so the user shouldn't need to understand the danger of watching channels with logos/banners etc especially as these are very common.

If you can believe the posts in AVForums regarding a court case against Currys (DSG Retail Limited) it seems a judge agreed and ordered a partial refund.

Given John Lewis' position I assume this no one has done the same to John Lewis. So if you don't believe that your TV was fit for purpose that's one route and/or you're welcome to report as in the Sundays Times OLED thread, regardless of where you bought it from.

Man of Honour
I think 2 potentially key reasons why I didn't suffer any issues is that I am pretty anal about content with static images plus the TV was professionally calibrated. I think calibration particularly helps as it not only balances the colours out but reduces unnecessary brightness.

Caporegime
I think 2 potentially key reasons why I didn't suffer any issues is that I am pretty anal about content with static images plus the TV was professionally calibrated. I think calibration particularly helps as it not only balances the colours out but reduces unnecessary brightness.

Agreed in most cases. I was the same with the B7 before I handed it over to the 'rents and the panel was still perfect. I did tell them not to leave static content on the screen for long periods but it obviously went in one ear and out the other.

Anyone leaving news channels on fairly high brightness for hours at a time only has themselves to blame as surely they knew this could be problematic. I have some sympathy for those who've got burn-in from in-game HUDS and whatnot as their only choice was to not play certain games or turn those elements off which can hamper the experience.

V F

V F

Soldato

A trained calibrator normally reduces peak brightness down to 120 - 140cd/m2 for normal room conditions. That'll be the main reason why you wont suffer it. Where as most will have their TVs cranked to the max and no doubt sharpening. Too much sharpening can accelerate screen burn on OLED and Plasma along with such high brightness.

This was one of the reasons I decided to try Plasma back in 2014. If I had listened to all the scary stories from people that don't know how to treat their sets, I would have missed out on the experience of the technology. They were so obsessed in dissing Plasma for screen burn back then it developed into pure hatred. Yet my Plasma to this day has no screen burn. Yet they said it was crap technology.

Soldato
A trained calibrator normally reduces peak brightness down to 120 - 140cd/m2 for normal room conditions. That'll be the main reason why you wont suffer it. Where as most will have their TVs cranked to the max and no doubt sharpening. Too much sharpening can accelerate screen burn on OLED and Plasma along with such high brightness.

This was one of the reasons I decided to try Plasma back in 2014. If I had listened to all the scary stories from people that don't know how to treat their sets, I would have missed out on the experience of the technology. They were so obsessed in dissing Plasma for screen burn back then it developed into pure hatred. Yet my Plasma to this day has no screen burn. Yet they said it was crap technology.

Did you get your plasma regassed?

Associate

Same. I read all the stories, and still bought a 42" G20 Plasma, 2012 I think. Its now a bedroom TV. It's still going strong and has not missed a beat. Sometimes, there is a little image retention, but it soon goes. Having a Plasma for so long actually convinced me oled would be OK, as I knew the usage would be the same.
I have the LG CX 55 downstairs now and love it. Not had it calibrated, but I did adjust some settings including lowering brightness/oled light, especially when gaming. The standard game setting for me was way too bright. Our living room is on the dark side anyway.
Do I worry about burn in, no? Am I aware of it? Definitely. But we don't watch the same channels for hours on end. Just wish Sky would implement a dimming feature when paused, as that's the biggest risk in our house!
The LG does a fine job of dimming logos on screen. Its really noticeable when watching sports etc.

Associate
Just wish Sky would implement a dimming feature when paused, as that's the biggest risk in our house!
The LG does a fine job of dimming logos on screen. Its really noticeable when watching sports etc.

TV should dim the screen if there's a static image for a while? I've got exact same setup (LG OLED CX55 + Sky Q), I should check that. At least with HTPC the screen dims fairly quickly if you're not doing anything.

V F

V F

Soldato
TV should dim the screen if there's a static image for a while? I've got exact same setup (LG OLED CX55 + Sky Q), I should check that. At least with HTPC the screen dims fairly quickly if you're not doing anything.

Yep, it does. I know mine will go extremely dark when the console is left on a static screen. It can go as low as 10 - 50% brightness, it'll go real dark if it's longer than 5 minutes. Usually I get that when doing inventory management. It can be quite aggressive on dimming in certain inventory menus.

Soldato
Had a Panasonic oled since Oct 2018. Faultless. However I do treat it with kid gloves. 5 year warranty on that and I just got a CX oled from Richer sounds with a 6 year warranty. I'm very unlikely to get any burn in because I purposely don't do anything to create it. Prevention better than cure. Obviously I'm lucky enough to be able to use multiple TVs in my home, and I've yet to have anyone I know have oled screen burn (owners from 2017 onwards with LG, Sony & Panasonic units)
I did get oled burn in with my Samsung Note 4 after 9 months back in the day. Its unpleasant for sure.

Associate
Yep, it does. I know mine will go extremely dark when the console is left on a static screen. It can go as low as 10 - 50% brightness, it'll go real dark if it's longer than 5 minutes. Usually I get that when doing inventory management. It can be quite aggressive on dimming in certain inventory menus.

It doesn't seem to work on Sky Q box though! I hit pause and it didn't dim within a minute or so. I did notice I had logo dimming on "low", cranking it to high does dim e.g. Firefox toolbar more. Which is good..

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Although I've never experienced OLED burn in since having the technology for a good 6+ years, I'm about to order a new 65" OLED and I want to keep it for 5 years minimum. Given the difficulties in this thread with the like of John Lewis and them being difficult to deal with, who would be a decent retailer to go with? The set I am looking at looks to be at the same price with most of them so it's simply a case of finding one in stock from companies who have decent CS and will honour burn in claims.

I went with John Lewis and paid the £140 for the Protect+ cover, which specifically covers burn-in.

Associate
The only ever burn in I ever suffered Oled wise was a B6. I have never experienced it on any Samsung oled mobile screen. I didn't even get burn in on plasmas. What the was the image burned in to the B6. Msi afterburner and league of legends....

Associate
Just pulled the trigger on a 77" CX, will be replacing my 65" B9 in the living room with the B9 taking up mancave duties. Absolutely love the B9 so imagine the 77" CX will just be more of the same...but bigger. Zero image retention issues so far and that's a couple of years of fairly consistent use including a lot of gaming.

Back
Top Bottom