Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

Soldato
OP
I only picked up on Duncans comment with regards the humour, fits his character I guess.

Also...where the hell is Feyd? Doesn't even seem to be a role credited on IMDB.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
maybe saving him for the second film / half?

Good shout, I wonder where they'll cut this, as original intention was always two movies, I can see snippets from that trailer which fit the 2nd half of the movie/book though.

Or maybe it's going to be a WTF casting moment that they're thoroughly keeping under wraps :D They've got Sting back, lol

Soldato
Good shout, I wonder where they'll cut this, as original intention was always two movies, I can see snippets from that trailer which fit the 2nd half of the movie/book though.

Or maybe it's going to be a WTF casting moment that they're thoroughly keeping under wraps :D They've got Sting back, lol

I think maybe where they get captured by the Fremen?

Sting is narcissistic enough to play the same character again when he is 37 years older :D

Soldato
OP
Makes sense, it is a natural break point in the book. I'll watch the trailer on TV when i get home and try to single out the scenes which appear to be from the 2nd half.

I'd be overjoyed if this was just part 1 though and we got another 2.5/3 hours of the 2nd part of the book.

Soldato
meh. not gripping me.
not sure why sandworms that big hunt a single human, bit like an anteater going after one ant. wouldn't touch the sides. literally.

Soldato
Looks good, Duncan Idaho seems to be a bigger part, he's barely in the book. Not sure I like Zendaya that much I thought she would be good as Chani, now I'm not so sure. Promising, a definite cinema job for me.

Associate
I wonder if the Emperor and Irulan will be in this first one?

And sandworms are attracted to rhythmic vibrations. Presumably to protect melange or sandtrout. I don't think it's a food thing.
But I could totally be wrong.

Soldato
Feyd, Irulan and Shaddam won't be in part one. They're not cast, there's enough of an ensemble already. Makes sense given they'll be less of this cast by the end of the movie, making space for new characters next time.

Only thing that looked to be from the 2nd part was Paul fighting in the desert but that's either a prescient vision (as he has the eyes of Ibad) or the last shot of the film as a triumphant note to end on since even though it's part 1 it's got to work as a standalone.

Caporegime
There's clearly a feydakin bit where he is marking his guard with the red line.
He has the eyes and he's fighting the Harkonnen on the desert in that weird arse armour.
These are very much years after escaping the sacking of Arrakeen.

IMO that's either a prescient vision or the film goes a long way further into the story than i was expecting.

Soldato
meh. not gripping me.
not sure why sandworms that big hunt a single human, bit like an anteater going after one ant. wouldn't touch the sides. literally.

Sandworms are territorial, and driven to kill anything that attracts them with a regular noise (such as walking). They don't go after humans for food, just for invading their space.

Soldato
There's clearly a feydakin bit where he is marking his guard with the red line.
He has the eyes and he's fighting the Harkonnen on the desert in that weird arse armour.
These are very much years after escaping the sacking of Arrakeen.

IMO that's either a prescient vision or the film goes a long way further into the story than i was expecting.

There's that shot of the Harkonnens looking like they're bleeding out prisoners laid upside down sacrificially while Gurney is talking about how brutal they are. EDIT - previous shot leading to that is the soldiers being marked with their blood on the forehead.

Denis has said the book has a natural place to break it in half. The book jumps forward 2 years halfway through. Natural place to stop.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There's that shot of the Harkonnens looking like they're bleeding out prisoners laid upside down sacrificially while Gurney is talking about how brutal they are. EDIT - previous shot leading to that is the soldiers being marked with their blood on the forehead.

Denis has said the book has a natural place to break it in half. The book jumps forward 2 years halfway through. Natural place to stop.

That's a very good point. Interesting

Soldato
Looks good, Duncan Idaho seems to be a bigger part, he's barely in the book. Not sure I like Zendaya that much I thought she would be good as Chani, now I'm not so sure. Promising, a definite cinema job for me.
Very important if you wan't films made like this people need to get bums in seats. Studios don't like taking risks for Scifi/fantasy.

Soldato
Seems Warner Brothers is annoying the dune fans using the trailer in fair use that are publicising the movie.. simply using the trailer ends up in a copyright strike..

Quinn’s Ideas is an extremely good sci-fi YouTube channel.

Back
Top Bottom