LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Caporegime
Just noticed on mine that even though I peeled off the plastic screen protector on the front and plastic from the back, there is still some kind of screen protector still applied. Down the bottom you can see really small pockets of air that I noticed when I was cleaning the screen and shone my phones torch on it to make sure there was no streaks as there was no natural light. Anyone elses like this? Its only on the very bottom edge and its on the very edges of the film.

Blowtorch it off and let us know :D

Associate
A feasible plan is to take some images and show/call the retail shop, no one have reported this problem. Saying that it doesn't fix your problem but I hope you get sorted:)

Last edited:
Permabanned
A feasible plan is to take some images and show/call the retail shop, no one have reported this problem. Saying that it doesn't fix your problem but I hope you get sorted:)

I wouldnt say its a problem TBH. I only noticed it when shining a torch to clear streaks when I was cleaning it I was just wondering if anyone has removed it is all. You cannot see it just looking at the screen naturally.

Associate
I wouldnt say its a problem TBH. I only noticed it when shining a torch to clear streaks when I was cleaning it I was just wondering if anyone has removed it is all. You cannot see it just looking at the screen naturally.

Then please post some images here:) I peeled off the plastic screen protector but didn't see any other plastic on front of it, and when I clean it I use a Zeiss camera lens cleaner microfiber cloth as for the streaks I don't see them:)

Permabanned
Then please post some images here:) I peeled off the plastic screen protector but didn't see any other plastic on front of it, and when I clean it I use a Zeiss camera lens cleaner microfiber cloth as for the streaks I don't see them:)

Ive looked a bit closer and only on the bottom of the screen, from one end to the other its a series of marks that are indentical in length,shape and size. Just trying to figure out how to post a photo...whats the best way to do it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive looked a bit closer and only on the bottom of the screen, from one end to the other its a series of marks that are indentical in length,shape and size. Just trying to figure out how to post a photo...whats the best way to do it?
Oh wow I've just seen them! Only if I shine a torch on it. They look like the little silicon dies you get along the edge of an LCD panel. Demultiplexers I believe.

They also might be light sensors but I'd be surprised if LG put so many in each panel.

Permabanned
Oh wow I've just seen them! Only if I shine a torch on it. They look like the little silicon dies you get along the edge of an LCD panel. Demultiplexers I believe.

They also might be light sensors but I'd be surprised if LG put so many in each panel.

Haha thats a weight off my mind! You cant see them unless you have a torch shined on them even in natural light (which given how glossy the panel is never happens) but once I had seen them I did start to panic a little!

Soldato
Haha thats a weight off my mind! You cant see them unless you have a torch shined on them even in natural light (which given how glossy the panel is never happens) but once I had seen them I did start to panic a little!
The very very consistent spacing is what gave it away. Whatever it is, it's meant to be there :)

I am curious as to what they are now though! I'd never spotted them before.

Permabanned
this one? its on the inside
212796408_289214826326440_370477977094683455_n.jpg

Associate
The GTX1080/TI running this 48/55CX OLED is you lose out on many features the CX/C1 was design for so a 1080/TI can run is - 4K, No- G-sync, 120hz, 18gbps 2.0HDMI, colour format 4.2.0, colour depth - 8bit, dynamic range -Limited. or 60Hz colour format RGB, Compare with 3080/90, 120hz, 48gbps 2.1HDMI, colour depth 12bit, colour format 4.4.4, G-sync;)

So 12bit Colour depth is 68 billion colours. For example, Dolby Vision supports 12-bit colour compare with 8Bit 16 million colours and a 4:2:0 image retains only a quarter of the colour subsampling that a 4:4:4 image does.
I am graphics over fps...
True and at first I didn't realise that a 1080 wouldnt work with vrr on the sets.
However, my point was more to do with pq. In my opinion, a gtx 1080 oled at medium settings looks nicer than a rtx 3090 lcd ultra settings.
My first oled doesn't support vrr and is connected to the 1080. I reduce settings to stay above 60 (lack of vrr), and would still choose that setup over my lcd vrr with a 3090.
Plus you have the bonus of gaining even more features when you do eventually upgrade gpu :)

Permabanned
True and at first I didn't realise that a 1080 wouldnt work with vrr on the sets.
However, my point was more to do with pq. In my opinion, a gtx 1080 oled at medium settings looks nicer than a rtx 3090 lcd ultra settings.
My first oled doesn't support vrr and is connected to the 1080. I reduce settings to stay above 60 (lack of vrr), and would still choose that setup over my lcd vrr with a 3090.
Plus you have the bonus of gaining even more features when you do eventually upgrade gpu :)

Im pretty much the same. I would rather game at 60fps on this panel than 120 on an LCD/LED monitor.

Far too many people have 3080/3090s and £2/300 quid monitors. Its like putting diesel in a Ferrari and a good monitor makes much more of a difference than a few more bells and whistles from upgrading the GPU. This is the best panel I have used in my 15 years of PC gaming by far and for me the best thing about the jump to 4k was colours and the vividness it brings. OLED takes that even further with the inky blacks and the only bad point's of using this for a monitor is the awful pointer remote and now that I turn it off when I leave the room top save burn in, it will change the size of the windows I have open when I turn it back on. Small niggles that would bother me FAR more if the panel itself was not so good.

I spent £1200 on the Acer Predator CG437KP just after Christmas and ended up grabbing this to replace it as there is just no competition with the monitors on the market sub £2500.

Soldato
the only bad point's of using this for a monitor is the awful pointer remote and now that I turn it off when I leave the room top save burn in, it will change the size of the windows I have open when I turn it back on.
Point 1 - use a normal LG infrared remote, doesn't seem a popular choice but I do it.

Point 2 - I have added the "screen off" shortcut to the quick settings menu so it's only a couple of button presses to activate. Handy for when playing music on the TV and don't want album covers nonstop.

I actually leave the TV turned on anyway as apps activate the screensaver and PC over HDMI activates the screen dimming pretty quickly. No visible damage after 15 months of 6-12 hours a day usage.

Last edited:
Associate
Point 1 - use a normal LG infrared remote, doesn't seem a popular choice but I do it.

Point 2 - I have added the "screen off" shortcut to the quick settings menu so it's only a couple of button presses to activate. Handy for when playing music on the TV and don't want album covers nonstop.

I actually leave the TV turned on anyway as apps activate the screensaver and PC over HDMI activates the screen dimming pretty quickly. No dimming after 15 months of 6-12 hours a day usage.
I don't have the problem of my windows rearranging from turning the TV off. But I do turn the screen off to listen to music or fall asleep. It's the only time I use the remotes voice. "Screen off" and it activates the countdown.

Associate
this one? its on the inside
212796408_289214826326440_370477977094683455_n.jpg

Oh wow I've just seen them! Only if I shine a torch on it. They look like the little silicon dies you get along the edge of an LCD panel. Demultiplexers I believe. They also might be light sensors but I'd be surprised if LG put so many in each panel.

Thanks to JeffLoq image I now can see it what you mean it not a LG panel fault but consider the display edge is soo thin it was only the way to keep the panel in but couldn't be seen only by shine a torch on it that's a weight of your mind and others:D

Last edited:
Associate
Im pretty much the same. I would rather game at 60fps on this panel than 120 on an LCD/LED monitor. Far too many people have 3080/3090s and £2/300 quid monitors. Its like putting diesel in a Ferrari and a good monitor makes much more of a difference than a few more bells and whistles from upgrading the GPU. This is the best panel I have used in my 15 years of PC gaming by far and for me the best thing about the jump to 4k was colours and the vividness it brings. OLED takes that even further with the inky blacks and the only bad point's of using this for a monitor is the awful pointer remote and now that I turn it off when I leave the room top save burn in, it will change the size of the windows I have open when I turn it back on. Small niggles that would bother me FAR more if the panel itself was not so good. I spent £1200 on the Acer Predator CG437KP just after Christmas and ended up grabbing this to replace it as there is just no competition with the monitors on the market sub £2500.

I agree the GTX 1080TI graphic with an OLED is way much better than any LCD in IQ I maxed out my card to play games @4K but only at 60hz I can run it at 120HZ but my settings would be 4K, No VRR/G-sync, 120hz, colour format 4.2.0, colour depth - 8bit, dynamic range -Limited but what's the point I still be stuck at this setting in 60/120hz, so I am waiting for a 3090/4090 next year to use the 12bit and 4.4.4 @120 VRR & G-sync plus to have 48gbps HDMI over 18gbps I don't see why gamers buy the 3080/90 to play on a 1440/1080p LCD RTX 80/90 card and DLSS turned on while connected to a 1080p Full HD monitor they won’t notice a difference in any RTX game titles.

I had a Acer Predator back in 2017 and when it broke down I had to fight with them to get a full refund it was a panel fault and posts was been deleted with images and members get banned at one point on their forums it was a mess, but when it took social media all hell broke lose in a report by Acer news they blame the panel company. And only a few was returned and was replace with a update monitor no refund was given after the date on their website.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The quality of LCD/LED panels on monitors just differs too much. There is always a "but" which at those kind of prices (£2k plus for a decent high refresh/HDR panel) its just not acceptable really. I thought 48 inch maybe be too big but I have ended up moving the PC to the panel downstairs and find it much more enjoyable given the type of games I play and the fact I use an Xbox one X controller. Im going to wall mount mine in the room I have my PC and replace my Samsung Q55 downstairs with the 65 inch 2021 version of the CX for my PS5. Honestly, this panel has been the best bit of tech Ive bought in years.

Associate
The quality of LCD/LED panels on monitors just differs too much. There is always a "but" which at those kind of prices (£2k plus for a decent high refresh/HDR panel) its just not acceptable really. I thought 48 inch maybe be too big but I have ended up moving the PC to the panel downstairs and find it much more enjoyable given the type of games I play and the fact I use an Xbox one X controller. Im going to wall mount mine in the room I have my PC and replace my Samsung Q55 downstairs with the 65 inch 2021 version of the CX for my PS5. Honestly, this panel has been the best bit of tech Ive bought in years.

No I wouldn't say a 48CX is big imo I personally game on my 55CX with the PC with K&M I enjoy sitting way back and love the ink blacks in games the OLED give me plus Dolby vision when I stream Netflix I will never go back to LCD, it won't be the same PQ, yesterday I saw a ASUS ROG STRIX 65inch 4K FALD, LED 144hz monitor with HDR 2.0HDMI & DP1.4 with a shocking price of £3,599 for LCD? for that price I could buy a 65inch C1 OLED and saved £1,100 better still buy a 77inch C1 for just £100 more it's madness to think that a 65inch LCD monitor cost more than OLED with less IQ with no Dolby vision and no 2.1 HDMI.

Why on earth they called it LED /QLED they are just all LCD panels with a little extra pop to them and FALD is just a fancy LCD display name with better blacks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom