Aftermarket wheels - Anyone still buy them?

Soldato
Hi,

I know the demographic of this forum is likely a similar age to me and the majority are past the modifying stage in their lives. I used to spend a fair bit on modifying cars and still get the urge every now and again but have successfully held off for years now other than a few OEM accessories.

I've recently got the urge to change the wheels on my car, I've always disliked them and wont be able to change the car for a couple of years so thought I might do something about it, I don't like the idea of buying second hand which seems the only way to stay OEM so was thinking of aftermarket but I had a really bad experience with some cheap alloys when I was younger and I am not well up on what is considered a good brand that are the same quality or better than OEM

I would want to stay at 17" and keep my existing tires, but I would like the wheel a little wider so it sits more in line with the arches, again I've no idea what I'm looking for here.

Can anyone recommend a dependable brand and what I need to look at for fitment please? Or am I barking up the wrong tree and everyone is going to call me a heretic for even considering this on here!?

I know Team Dynamics were an OEM for Honda on a limited edition model, I did have a set years ago on an older Civic and didnt have any issues with them are these still considered to be a good brand?

Thanks

mjt

mjt

Soldato
As long as you buy new I don’t see why it’d be a problem. Some look naff for sure, but if you like them and they look good, go for it.
I bought Rial X10s for my i3 as a winter set as all of the BMW 19s looked horrible.

I don’t know if this particular outfit is any good, but their website will tell you what fitment you need and will show you what’s available in your size and fitment.

https://www.performancealloys.com/

Soldato
See if there is an OEM wheel that is roughly what you want... Aftermarket IMO is still pretty grim pickings unless you are in the very high end category.

To bring your wheels out of the arch you can get hubcentric spacers.

Associate
It’ll probably help to look up the offset figures for your current wheels so you can compare against any potential aftermarket options you’re looking at - this affects where the wheels will sit within the arches.

So you may or may not need spacers, example my 19” Oz’s fill the arches really well as I think they’re 38mm offset compared to 52.5 (ish) for the standard 18’s which need spacers to get similar effect.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I think the modified car scene must be miniscule compared with the 1990s era. I am (as you correctly imagine) past that stage of my life, but i rarely ever see a modified car around. The odd loud sounding 20 year old Audi driven by an 18 year old, sure, and you do see tinted windows definitely, but full on chavmobile? Never really, these days.

As Mr Fox says, i think car manufacturers have the torch with this one these days, with plenty of lairy models across all of their ranges as standard.

Soldato
Yeah around these parts anyway it seems the fashion to stick on bigger OEM wheels from newer/higher up models to your pov spec early 2000's Audi rather than aftermarket.

But they have to be really curbed and in terrible condition with mismatched tyres to get the correct effect it seems.

When i had my Impreza there was still a scene for aftermarket wheels on those, the Rota Grid type seemed popular and i quite liked the look of that style. I seem to remember people getting very funny about different makes as some were copies of JDM wheels and others were copies of the copies or something, i never really understood!

Man of Honour
Just look at some of the awful looking M Performance stuff you can buy now, what purpose does the aftermarket serve for styling now your brand new 3 Series can arrive covered in carbon fibre from the dealer.

Soldato
I think the modified car scene must be miniscule compared with the 1990s era. I am (as you correctly imagine) past that stage of my life, but i rarely ever see a modified car around. The odd loud sounding 20 year old Audi driven by an 18 year old, sure, and you do see tinted windows definitely, but full on chavmobile? Never really, these days.

As Mr Fox says, i think car manufacturers have the torch with this one these days, with plenty of lairy models across all of their ranges as standard.

Its still big but you dont see as many "max power" chav mobiles around now. That era has gone.

Replaced by stupid "stance" cars and pops and bangs.

Associate
The only reason I changed my alloys on my S3 was to fit a big brake kit and it may be the same reason again with my golf r.

OEM alloy wheels are much better looking (appreciate that is subjective) than they used to be.

Soldato
Alloy Wheels & Performance Tyres | Buy Alloys at Wheelbase (wheelbasealloys.com)
They are really good you can get a decent set for £800-1000 (they throw in new locking nuts & full set of wheel nuts). The trick to keep costs down is ONLY buy the alloys do not bother with their tyres as well then either pay a local mobile fitter with good rep to swap your existing tyres outside your home or book with kwik fit they can do this for a decent amount of time around an hour max (while you wait!)

Associate
and again hate to be boring but check it doesnt invalidate your insurance, i changed my alloys on a c220 coupe years ago for a staggered fit at the rear and fell foul of insurance had to change companies in the end.
having said that i changed my front bumper on my mondeo sport for the next year on that had provision for drls to be fitted (which i did) 5 years ago and although i told my insurance company and it made no difference i now see on the new policy you cannot change bodywork or really anything . so now if i have a accident i either have to have a standard bumper, or risk no insurance..looks like time to refit old bumper and sell this year grrrrrrrr.

Soldato
The reason I'd do it is to fit lightweight alloys. OEMs are usually quite hefty.

But many aftermarket ones are not as good quality as OEMs. So you could be downgrading.

Soldato
OP
As long as you buy new I don’t see why it’d be a problem. Some look naff for sure, but if you like them and they look good, go for it.
I bought Rial X10s for my i3 as a winter set as all of the BMW 19s looked horrible.

I don’t know if this particular outfit is any good, but their website will tell you what fitment you need and will show you what’s available in your size and fitment.

https://www.performancealloys.com/

Those wheels are nice I like the simple twin spoke design

See if there is an OEM wheel that is roughly what you want... Aftermarket IMO is still pretty grim pickings unless you are in the very high end category.

To bring your wheels out of the arch you can get hubcentric spacers.

I'm not sure about spacers, the car is a family car that carries my young children on long journeys and there is something about spacers that put me off

I think the vehicle manufacturers took over by making oem wheels look aftermarket.

Agree with that, mine are black with a polished face which I really dislike. I like a solid colour wheel black (sorry) or silver that sits flush with the arches. German cars manufacturers have the OEM fitment spot on but the Japanese manufacturers are still fitting polished wheels deep in the arches and IMO they look ridiculous

It’ll probably help to look up the offset figures for your current wheels so you can compare against any potential aftermarket options you’re looking at - this affects where the wheels will sit within the arches.

Any reliable resources for this please? My car had a few different options for wheels from new I'm not sure if they were all the same offset or not

I still see a few but no where near as much as I used to, it was big part of my life all the way from the late 90's to 2010, met a lot of people and had some awesome weekends away and day trips etc

There is a lad on my road with with a modified old Audi that pops and bangs and sounds awful as has his mates its a nightmare for waking the kids up but I cant say anything because I used to do it and that would make me a hypocrite but they don't seem to be respectful of the neighbors I always used to turn the music down and drive lightly so as not to annoy the neighbors so not sure whats changed there

Alloy Wheels & Performance Tyres | Buy Alloys at Wheelbase (wheelbasealloys.com)
They are really good you can get a decent set for £800-1000 (they throw in new locking nuts & full set of wheel nuts). The trick to keep costs down is ONLY buy the alloys do not bother with their tyres as well then either pay a local mobile fitter with good rep to swap your existing tyres outside your home or book with kwik fit they can do this for a decent amount of time around an hour max (while you wait!)

Interesting that you say that, I went to one somewhere in Stockport that I think is one of their suppliers and you can buy wheels directly and is local to me, they wanted £375 for a set of 17" Rimac alloy wheels fitted which sound like an obsolute bargain and I was tempted, they look very similar similar to what the Rial X10 that mjt posted but I've never heard of Rimac and like I say I have had a bad experience with cheap wheels and it put me off

Caporegime
I buy them for winter tyres.

oem wheels tend to be stupidly expensive for using as a set for winter tyres like sometimes £1000 a rim.

Not going to put steel wheels on, even just for winter so aftermarket alloys are the best compromise.

Soldato
OP
Hub-centric is the key word, they are totally safe as long as you don't go bonkers.

https://freakyparts.co.uk/products/slot-on-hubcentric-wheel-spacers-4x

Ok thanks, I guess that would mean combining spacers and a refurb of my current wheels which raises more questions such as finding a reputable wheel refurbishment outfit, what method they use because I've read powder coating can weaken the wheel and if they can be repainted because they are polished and I'm not sure if its possible.

Back
Top Bottom