Spec me replacement for my Dell S2721DGF

Soldato
I bought a Dell S2721DGF but after several days of trying I couldn't get used to the washed out colours and yellowish whites so I returned it. I'd like something with similar specs as the S2721DGF (but with better colours) and my budget is around £350.

Thanks

Associate
I bought a Dell S2721DGF but after several days of trying I couldn't get used to the washed out colours and yellowish whites so I returned it. I'd like something with similar specs as the S2721DGF (but with better colours) and my budget is around £350.

Thanks

27GP850-B from another company in the EU- worked out at £399 including import fees

Its been amazing compared to the S2721DGF- I agree that monitor felt like a budget panel and colours were too orange

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
27GP850-B from another company in the EU- worked out at £399 including import fees

Its been amazing compared to the S2721DGF- I agree that monitor felt like a budget panel and colours were too orange

Thanks for the suggestion.

I assume I must be wrong but I was under the impression that the Dell and LG monitors share the same panel?

Associate
Thanks for the suggestion.

I assume I must be wrong but I was under the impression that the Dell and LG monitors share the same panel?

No the 27GP850-B is a new panel and colours are much better with sRGB mode and 180hz and backlight strobing features- worth it for another 90 or so quid imho.
Hardware did a great video review in May...

Associate
The GP850 uses the same second gen LG panel as the S2721DGF OC'd to 180hz. If you find the S2721DGF washed out I really don't know what to suggest it's a Wide gamut panel with no clamp which means if anything you should find it overly colourful on sRGB content.

The S2721DGF actually follows the sRGB gamma curve better than most monitors out of the box, at least gaming displays, similar to the AW2721D. Thing is unless you buy something that is pre calibrated to a low dE there's going to be inconsistencies. My S2721DGF actually measures better out of the box than my AW2721D. The GP850 doesn't have good calibration at all it's actually fairly average for a gaming display and way off curves in comparison although it does have a less than 3.0 in the sRGB mode with a clamped gamut in the measurements posted so far but it varies.
If you're worried about colour consistency you need a colorimeter or buy a premium display that guarantees a less than 2.0 out of the box.

Last edited:
Soldato
No the 27GP850-B is a new panel and colours are much better with sRGB mode and 180hz and backlight strobing features- worth it for another 90 or so quid imho.
Hardware did a great video review in May...
Except strobing doesn't work with variable refresh rate:

UPDATE 2: We've now confirmed with several people that have bought the monitor at retail, along with LG Electronics themselves, that retail 27GP850 models come with firmware that has MBR (backlight strobing) plus variable refresh rate disabled.

Also biggest weakness of LG's panels, really low contrast hasn't really improved:
https://youtu.be/ItPCOFR5xuU?t=928

Associate
The GP850 uses the same second gen LG panel as the S2721DGF OC'd to 180hz. If you find the S2721DGF washed out I really don't know what to suggest it's a Wide gamut panel with no clamp which means if anything you should find it overly colourful on sRGB content.

The S2721DGF actually follows the sRGB gamma curve better than most monitors out of the box, at least gaming displays, similar to the AW2721D. Thing is unless you buy something that is pre calibrated to a low dE there's going to be inconsistencies. My S2721DGF actually measures better out of the box than my AW2721D. The GP850 doesn't have good calibration at all it's actually fairly average for a gaming display and way off curves in comparison although it does have a less than 3.0 in the sRGB mode with a clamped gamut in the measurements posted so far but it varies.
If you're worried about colour consistency you need a colorimeter or buy a premium display that guarantees a less than 2.0 out of the box.

I'm not aware this is a recycled panel, Hardware Unboxed say its a new panel? Can you link the site you saw this info?

Back
Top Bottom