Aftermarket wheels - Anyone still buy them?

Soldato
Ok thanks, I guess that would mean combining spacers and a refurb of my current wheels which raises more questions such as finding a reputable wheel refurbishment outfit, what method they use because I've read powder coating can weaken the wheel and if they can be repainted because they are polished and I'm not sure if its possible.
Where are you based? I'm sure there will be some reputable firms nearby. I would ask them to fit the spacers and longer wheel studs at the same time.

Soldato
With £210 tax for a sub 100 BHP car, near £200 insurance and the MOT and stupid fuel costs.
I need aftermarket wheels like a hole in the head.
Rant over

Soldato
I think you really do get what you pay for, with aftermarket wheels. Stick to reputable brands like BBS, OZ, TD etc and you won’t go wrong.

I’m normally happy with OEM wheels and their styles, but every now and again you get some that are ‘a bit soft’. The 21s on my old RS6 for example. They had to be replaced when I bought the car and it was very likely they would need seeing to again further down the road.

Having had OEM forged alloys on my ISF and my Cayman, I decided I wanted to go down that route with the RS. I’ve since changed to a Honda, but I still fancy doing this (the OEM wheels are black!). I’m looking at options for forged HREs, Vossens etc. The benefit here is that the wheels can be custom made to your spec (PCD, ET, Width). This hugely opens up your options for available styles.

Soldato
OP
Just started looking for a set of Team Dynamics and found out they don't exist anymore, bit of a surprise considering how popular they were and were an OEM supplier etc

Soldato
I put "Ronal" wheels in my volvo S60 from https://www.rimstyle.com/

The stock wheels I had were hideous so I got some Satin 5 spoke black alloys.

They are 3 years old now and still in fine condition, they were heavier than the stock wheels mind you, but I went up from 16 to 17 inch wheels.

Be warned Tesco wouldnt insure me after modifications, but LVE seem to be modification friendly* and really cheap for me.

* I hasten to add, I do not consider my Volvo highly modified, infact if you look at it, it looks pretty standard, but I have done a few bits to it.

Caporegime
Just look at some of the awful looking M Performance stuff you can buy now, what purpose does the aftermarket serve for styling now your brand new 3 Series can arrive covered in carbon fibre from the dealer.
Plenty of aftermarket replica parts are available though, including carbon stuff that the OEM doesnt offer.

Soldato
Any reliable resources for this please? My car had a few different options for wheels from new I'm not sure if they were all the same offset or not
Keep the wheel specs the same no need to tell the insurance company whatsoever! (they do not usually insure aftermarket alloys if you insist they will want more money!) They are not interested just make sure you buy a decent set not some cheapo manufacturer!

Go here type your specs in should get you an accurate result: Wheel-Size.com :: Reference guide for car wheel and tire dimensions such as size, offset, PCD

Now you know what to look for specs wise but you will find most alloy companies will contact you to confirm reg no so they can double check the alloys you want fit ok! before you go ahead with the order & payment.

Soldato
Saw a guy having a set of anthracite aftermarket alloys being fitted to a white 1 series last week.
The silver OEM bmw wheels being removed where the same size, in good condition and looked better IMO.
I did consider a citizens arrest.

Soldato
I've been lusting after a set of these forged Volk racing alloys for my Jimny, but may need a small lottery win at over £500 each.

te37xprogressive_bronze_top.jpg
These OZ are way cheaper & look just as good IMO! OZ I Tech Alleggerita HLT Race Gold Wheel (magnatuning.com)

Soldato
OP
I've been lusting after a set of these forged Volk racing alloys for my Jimny, but may need a small lottery win at over £500 each.

te37xprogressive_bronze_top.jpg

Every Jap car fanboys dream a set of Volks so you're not on your own there

I've decided to stay with OEM for insurance reasons, I'm going to keep checking eBay and see what comes up

Back
Top Bottom