What PC games are you playing?

Caporegime
Disco Elysium

Really not sure if it's my cup of tea. Chose the "intuitive but dim" pre-set character. He fails every single dice roll for anything not charisma-based.

The game delights in closing off doors after bad dice rolls, and then leaving you seemingly unable to progress any further with a particular task.

So basically you start with a quest, that maybe has two or three different obvious paths that you could try. You then proceed to fail 3 separate dice rolls (non-charisma skills) and you're left with seemingly no more options. I refuse to save scum in this one, but it means what looked like a fairly trivial task then becomes an exercise in simply running around trying (and re-trying) every dialog tree, in the hope that there's still one hidden or obscure option available, somewhere, to let you accomplish the thing without more tedious dice rolls. And then you find that even the hidden/obscure path has dice rolls, which you proceed to fail.

And then you think, "Why am I playing this, it's not much fun to have the dice dictate the game." You don't influence any course of action, you just roll the dice and the dice say what path your character takes. It's very, very heavily RNG, and I can't say I'm a big fan of making the RNG your #1 gameplay mechanic.

Man of Honour
I actually love the aesthetics of Disco Elysium, I love the voice acting, love the concept of it and even like the implementation of it too. However, I've started the game 3 times now and each time, part way through the game, I trail off and end up not finishing it and I'm not really sure why, its just that somewhere along the line I lose interest and get distracted by another game and then lose the desire to go back

Caporegime
I actually love the aesthetics of Disco Elysium, I love the voice acting, love the concept of it and even like the implementation of it too. However, I've started the game 3 times now and each time, part way through the game, I trail off and end up not finishing it and I'm not really sure why, its just that somewhere along the line I lose interest and get distracted by another game and then lose the desire to go back
I can't even get past Measurehead, into the harbour. Can't pass any of the dice rolls against him.

So I'm basically done with the game on Day 2. Having failed all the dice rolls on what appears to be the main story path, there's really nothing left for me to do. I think I'm basically stuck unless I re-start the game from the beginning. Which I don't enjoy the game enough to do. I kind of assumed the game would accommodate me no matter how many dice rolls I failed, but it appears that you can't fail all of them, and if you do that's it, really. Game over man, game over.

That's the problem with this game. If you fail too many dice rolls you have no way to recover the situation.

Soldato
I can't even get past Measurehead, into the harbour. Can't pass any of the dice rolls against him.

So I'm basically done with the game on Day 2. Having failed all the dice rolls on what appears to be the main story path, there's really nothing left for me to do. I think I'm basically stuck unless I re-start the game from the beginning. Which I don't enjoy the game enough to do. I kind of assumed the game would accommodate me no matter how many dice rolls I failed, but it appears that you can't fail all of them, and if you do that's it, really. Game over man, game over.

That's the problem with this game. If you fail too many dice rolls you have no way to recover the situation.

Failing dice rolls is annoying, but there is usually another way around to get back on track. I failed against measurehead, but found another way around him. In fact, there are three ways to get past him I believe.

Caporegime
Failing dice rolls is annoying, but there is usually another way around to get back on track. I failed against measurehead, but found another way around him. In fact, there are three ways to get past him I believe.
I think you'll find there are dice rolls on all the paths, tho. I've already failed the dice roll for
the jump across the rooftops
, because the char I went with has no physical coordination and no intelligence, just high charisma.

So it's all very well having more than one path, but they all have dice rolls on them, and it's possible to fail all the dice rolls (I guess I just have bad luck, in another part of the game managed to fail an "easy" roll with 75% then a "trivial" roll with 85%, to lock myself out of that particular quest :p).

I don't re-load after failing a roll, because if the designers want to make the game heavily RNG-based I'll just roll with it. But it means I'm locked out of all the quests in my journal right now, having failed all the rolls needed to progress any of them.

I just don't understand why the designers chose to make the dice the ultimate gods of their game. Looking at my quest journal and knowing all the active quests are locked out due to bad dice rolls, does not give me a good feeling about the game. And it becomes very much catch-22. You can't unlock the quests without spending character skill points to unlock the failed rolls, and you can't gain skill points without doing the locked quests. So now there's nothing to do but wander the map in vain.

Frankly it's tedious.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tried Nioh for an hour or so. The mechanics are ok but after playing the souls games pretty heavily in the past it feels a bit of the same thing but easier.

Soldato
I think you'll find there are dice rolls on all the paths, tho. I've already failed the dice roll for
the jump across the rooftops
, because the char I went with has no physical coordination and no intelligence, just high charisma.

So it's all very well having more than one path, but they all have dice rolls on them, and it's possible to fail all the dice rolls (I guess I just have bad luck, in another part of the game managed to fail an "easy" roll with 75% then a "trivial" roll with 85%, to lock myself out of that particular quest :p).

I don't re-load after failing a roll, because if the designers want to make the game heavily RNG-based I'll just roll with it. But it means I'm locked out of all the quests in my journal right now, having failed all the rolls needed to progress any of them.
So if you have like put hours into the game, then fail all dice rolls, is that game over then ? and you have to start again or something.

Caporegime
So if you have like put hours into the game, then fail all dice rolls, is that game over then ? and you have to start again or something.
I've played for a couple evenings, and I honestly can't find any path to progress the game. All the paths I found had dice rolls somewhere on them, and I managed to fail one or more dice rolls on every path.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing left to do, and my interest is waning, fast. All the "active"/unresolved quests in my journal are blocked with failed dice rolls, so I can't complete any of the side objectives.

Unless there's some really, really obscure path still open to me, it looks like I've reached a "no win" situation, simply by failing too many dice rolls.

Dice are king in this game.

Soldato
I've played for a couple evenings, and I honestly can't find any path to progress the game. All the paths I found had dice rolls somewhere on them, and I managed to fail one or more dice rolls on every path.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing left to do, and my interest is waning, fast. All the "active"/unresolved quests in my journal are blocked with failed dice rolls, so I can't complete any of the side objectives.

Unless there's some really, really obscure path still open to me, it looks like I've reached a "no win" situation, simply by failing too many dice rolls.

Dice are king in this game.
Dam, thats a shame, i am a completist, i dont like progressing in any game if i know there is stuff i have not completed yet, sounds like this game wont be for me then, shame as i loved the look of the game.

Soldato
I just picked up Control on steam, I tried it when it first released and then when the DLSS 2.0 patch came out, but never got more than 30 minutes into it as it felt a bit... basic.

Oh boy was I wrong, I'm a few hours in now, just got the power plant and jesus wept this game is awesome!!!!!! I think I'm going to pull an all nighter tonight and complete it in one go!

Soldato
Dam, thats a shame, i am a completist, i dont like progressing in any game if i know there is stuff i have not completed yet, sounds like this game wont be for me then, shame as i loved the look of the game.

I have failed lots of dice rolls. Sure its blocked off some stuff, but I haven't yet found myself stuck and unable to progress. Although I am only on day four so far. If you like graphic adventure games with an rpg slant, this is the best.

Soldato
That's an odd combo of typos and autocomplete errors! "virulent concentrate" sounds quite frightening and "corks handle turn-based" quite confusing, maybe some sort of complex system in which the length of turns varies, twisting like a corkscrew.

Wow! That was unintentionally hilarious!

The gist of it :
- got covid
- too fatigued to concentrate on action games (i had been playing sekiro pre-covid)
-could cope with turn based wasteland 3

I finished it yesterday. I really liked the closing song and the way it had been adapted to my actions and choices.

Back
Top Bottom