Audio bussing under gaming?

Soldato
Mint 20.1
SabreTooth x99
I7-5930K
32GB RAM
240GB M2 SSD for root and swap
2TB WD Black for /home
Creative ZX for Audio ( Currently onboard )

The Audio sounds absolutely fine doing nothing and when playing music and Videos, but when playing a game, it starts to buzz, or hum.

I tried the card in a different slot and that did not help, so, I took the card out and played with the Onboard Audio and it was fine for a few minutes and now thats also humming too???

Anyone have any ideas?

Oh and yeah, I noticed the title says BUSSING and yeah, I meant BUZZING!

Soldato
OP
Yeah, it must be, but it does feel a little OTT for just that. I have had such issues before, but not at this level... its really irritating.

As for using USB or PCIE, as I said in the first post, I was using a SoundBlaster ZX for the Audio and its flawless until I play a game... Music and Video its perfectly fine.

I went to the onboard and that was fine for a while, and I played around 20 minutes of a game and it seemed ok for the most part, but then when I went into the menu, I realised that the humming was coming back. Not as bad as the card, but definitely there.

I have also tried the Asus Xonar DX2 and that was even worse.

Both of those cards are 100% fine in my AMD Linux machine.

As for USB, good call. I have not even thought about that... I got a couple of USB devices that I used when I was messing with my old Hackintosh PC and I also have the creative USB Thingy that is kind of not being used right now, and so Iwill have a play with those and see what happens? I only need the basic LEFT/RIGHT and no extra nonsense and so I will see what happens.

Caporegime
Sorry missed you were using a ZX. That's really odd, must be a flaw on the motherboard causing issues under heavy load. Normally the onboard audio would be most heavily effected by EMI.

Very odd.

Soldato
What sample rate do you have it set to? i get interference whilst playing games on anything over 96khz

edit, just realised im in the linux forum :o so no idea if Linux gives that level of control with the drivers these days, irc sound drivers were always crud in linux especially creative!

Soldato
OP
I hear what you are saying about creative and linux things have changed for some time.

My main linux pc has a creative recon 3D card and its flawless, this one is a ZX and its pretty much thecsame card really but ots not good butvthen neither is the onboard, or any other card that i have tried.

It was suggested to try USB and i will do, but i have been busy as hell recently, so not had the chance to play.

Associate
I have the same problem but on my windows pc. It doesn't happen all the time. On subnautica the main menu screen produces very bad buzzing but the game itself it is less noticeable.

I am using onboard sound (realtek) and wondered whether a separate sound card may fix it so it is interesting to hear that the op is having the problem with a separate card. My sound output goes to an amp on my desk under my monitor so I did wonder whether it is interference from my monitor affecting my amp or speaker cables or whether it is happening in the pc.

I haven't had time to move my amp/speakers or swap my graphics card etc to try and track down where the problem is so I will be interested to see if you fix it. I will check LizardKing's suggestion re sample rates. At the moment I have just let Windows install drivers so I don't know what control the windows drivers allow.

Soldato
OP
Ok, a small update.

Whenever I get buzzing, the first thing I check is the audio cables.
The cables going from the sound source, be it the card or onboard, thast goes to the AMP, are very prone to picking up interference.

In my case, the PC I was setting up is on my desk, on my right, and I use this to do all my testing stuff, the cables are used in other PCs and they are fine. I only have the issue with that one PC.

I have the same issues with an Asus DX2, Creative ZX, and Creative Recon, and so I tried the OMNI ( USB Sound Card ) and that worked fine.

Now, I will also admit, that the Motherboard is giving me issues, its been a total whore to get it right, I know for a fact that the guy who sold it to me, knew it was on the blink, and thats why he sold it, and right now, I have it at a place where it does not crash as much as it used to, but even when its booting up, its displaying so many errors and warnings ( Linux Mint ).

I am just no longer bothering with trying to sort it out as I am going to buy a different motherboard... Hopefully an ITX one so I can make another little PC out of the CPU.

And yes, it makes no difference if I use Windows own drivers or downloaded ones, and Its running Linux right now cos I have simply not managed to get Windows to run without crashing, but Linux stays good for hours.

Back
Top Bottom