How to get rid of the Windows Update that's been downloaded?

Associate
After a catastrophic feature update last year, where I had to do a complete reinstall (due to a blue screen bug) I vowed to never update win10 unless I was ready to do so. So I had everything turned off under advanced options but of course it's still downloaded a 'feature' update which it is now pestering me to install. Including a really nice massive boxout in the bottom right of my screen now.

I've since disabled automatic updates in the group policy, which I understand should now completely stop this nonsense. The trouble is I've still got this new update sitting there asking to be installed. :mad:

Does anyone know how I can remove this so my system doesn't have the red dot on windows update and doesn't ask me to update and restart when I shutdown?

Soldato
With your internet disabled, try using BleachBit and Ccleaner to cleanup the Windows Update files, then run Dis Cleanup and delete Windows Update related files before restarting.

Although I haven't used it, try StopUpdates10 to block future updates.

Soldato
A Microsoft program I use is the wushowhide.diagcab

If you run it with pending updates you can tell it to hide them from you. I can't remember for how long but its quite a while. I am currently hiding a windows nvidia driver away.

According to this site Microsoft have removed the tool from their site. But they have some recommendations of how to get to it.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-hide-updates-tool-wushowhide-diagcab

I noticed MajorGeeks have a mirrored version here: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wushowhide.html

If you have access to windows group policy controls, I usually set mine for it to ask me if I want to download updates. I also use the pause function if I know I want to delay updates for a short time.

Soldato
@gizmo1990 just use disk cleanup built into windows once run once you have option to clean up system files with admin privileges which clears up old updates even says "scanning for windows update cleanup" just done it and cleaned up 9GB

Back
Top Bottom