Marvel Phase 4

Caporegime
I didn't mean actors, I meant characters. Most of that IP was grade A stuff. Thor, Iron man, Hulk, Captain America, Spiderman. They brought in some second tier characters as part of the Avengers stuff before broadening their case but you only have to look at a film like end game to see how much people value the characters. It was an OK film but people raved about it because it was the finale to this phase and had emotional endings for their favourite characters.

Like I said, who knows, it might go well but I'm not convinced at the moment. Disney has been placing too much value on the wrong things for a few years now in their films so we will have to see what happens.
Don’t forget when Marvel were flat broke in the late 90’s and early 2000’s that Sony had the chance to take their pick of any of the Marvel stable. And decided no one cared about anyone other than Spiderman. Oops. Mind you I doubt anyone would have had the balls back then to create a 20+ series of movies with an overarching timeline and plot. Even Warner Brothers keep changing their mind and rebooting DC every so often or creating new timeline movies which just adds to the casual fans confusion.

Soldato
I didn't mean actors, I meant characters. Most of that IP was grade A stuff. Thor, Iron man, Hulk, Captain America, Spiderman. They brought in some second tier characters as part of the Avengers stuff before broadening their case but you only have to look at a film like end game to see how much people value the characters. It was an OK film but people raved about it because it was the finale to this phase and had emotional endings for their favourite characters.

Like I said, who knows, it might go well but I'm not convinced at the moment. Disney has been placing too much value on the wrong things for a few years now in their films so we will have to see what happens.

iron man has never been grade A in the comics, and prior to a few years ago thor hadn't been popular since the 80's. Hulk was hardly popular either.
Its all about spiderman and the xmen - they have always been marvels top properties.

I think the problem is the actors - finding people with the charm and personality to pull it off will be difficult - just look at how mant garbage super hero films there are.

Caporegime
I’ve not jumped on the hype train. I’ve found them mostly pretty dull. Unfortunately the fanboys lap it up.
Wandavision was great after a very slow start, FATWS was too serious, but still decent. Loki was a bit slow in the middle but was good overall. I want a bit more humour though.

Man of Honour
Wandavision was great after a very slow start, FATWS was too serious, but still decent. Loki was a bit slow in the middle but was good overall. I want a bit more humour though.

Maybe I should finish Wandavision. It was so so slow at the start, it just didn’t hook me. Think I got about half way. It’s early days I guess in this phase, it just hasn’t hooked me as quickly as the last.

Soldato
Maybe I should finish Wandavision. It was so so slow at the start, it just didn’t hook me. Think I got about half way. It’s early days I guess in this phase, it just hasn’t hooked me as quickly as the last.

Slow, albeit not too bad start, great middle, terrible end, it had a superb concept, some episodes brilliantly executed, just as a full package it left me not really caring by the final episode.

That's some achievement as she was one of my favourite characters throughout the movies.

At this point i'll watch a FaTWS recap, it's DCEU TV levels of bad (SFX and come of the choreography is laughable), managed two episodes.

Soldato

Great opinion piece here on the current state of Marvel, essentially where do you go after such a wide encompassing event like Infinity War and prevent the franchise seeming stale.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great opinion piece here on the current state of Marvel, essentially where do you go after such a wide encompassing event like Infinity War and prevent the franchise seeming stale.
Didn't watch it but looking at the new eternals trailer they really need to get over Thanos quickly. Obviously in the comics he's always returning to the point where he's powerful but a bit of a prop meme now since there are just more interesting stories to tell with better characters.

If the films aren't careful they are going to get trapped in this cycle of not being able to move on properly. I was kind of disappointed to see they are making a cap4 for this very reason.

Soldato
Didn't watch it but looking at the new eternals trailer they really need to get over Thanos quickly. Obviously in the comics he's always returning to the point where he's powerful but a bit of a prop meme now since there are just more interesting stories to tell with better characters.

If the films aren't careful they are going to get trapped in this cycle of not being able to move on properly. I was kind of disappointed to see they are making a cap4 for this very reason.

It's not too long and worth a watch, Marvel is carefully balanced right now and a few poor decisions could see "too big to fail become small enough to do so" - to paraphrase what he says in the video.

Soldato
New Eternals trailer, looks a bit more promising than the first one (plus celestial cameo!).

Not following the comics timeline though where they’ve been around a lot longer than 7k years and the Deviants are a complete departure.

Back
Top Bottom