Returning to UK after 4 years. Likely to get shafted on insurance?

Soldato
As title really. Been living in Australia for the past 3.5-4 years and looking like i'l be heading back home around October time for good.

I was just thinking about things I would need to sort out when I get home, a car being one of them, and it occurred to me that my NCD i'd built up prior to leaving the UK to come to Oz (10 years) may have expired or not be valid anymore.

Does anyone know if this is likely to be the case or if there are any specific insurers that would take my previous insurance history and circumstance into consideration? Or would I have to start from 0 again? :(

I haven't needed to drive whilst being in Oz and so haven't any recent insurance policies under my name over here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most insurance companies are 12 months, some can accept 2-3 years if you go back to the same insurer.

If it's cheaper for you, it's worth looking at the Admiral accelerator policy. You only pay/get 10 months of insurance, but you do get a whole years NCD. I found after a gap of 5 or so years between owning a car that this was the quickest way to bring my insurance costs down.

Soldato
Started back with zero NCD when I moved back to the UK in 2019. Not a massive deal as I'm getting on a bit now so didn't sting as much as I thought :p

Soldato
Your not 18 anymore so unless your looking to insure a performance car, I can’t see the price being £lol.

It’s not just ‘old people’ that can get cheap insurance on ‘normal cars’.

I’m under 35 and my insurance with zero NCD would be around £400 if the % discounts they give for NCD are actually true. I actually paid under £200 this year.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the responses guys. Slightly reassuring hearing its not all doom and gloom on the insurance front with 0 NCD. I'll be 35 by the time I get round to buying my new car and it will definitely not be a boy racer car, so fingers crossed I get something reasonable. Will speak to my old insurer first as my first port of call.

Back
Top Bottom