JI-HAW AWM E118077 2896 80C VW-1 ribbon cable burned, what to do?

Associate
I had a problem with CPU overheating and I decided to thoroughly clean the internals of the laptop and change the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU chipsets. Because the laptop had only 4GB RAM I also bought additional 4GB RAM.

On the motherboard there was an additional heatsink, I unscrewed it to check what’s under it. I found out there is a chip with this writing on it:

BD82HM65
SLJ4P
E130A731
(M)(C)*08

I don’t know what this chip is and what does it do. It didn’t have a dry thermal paste but some sort of soft sticky plaster so I didn’t take it off, I just screw the heatsink just as it was.

Then assembled everything back as it was, except one thing, I forgot to connect the touchpad.

Anyway, I started the laptop, made few tests/benchmarks monitoring the CPU temperature and turned it down to partly disassemble it again so I could connect the ribbon cable I forgot about.

I did that and as I started the computer again, after a short while the touchpad and plastic cover opposite side of the touchpad started to be unusually warm, hot actually. I quickly turned the computer off. At the time I was running Speccy software and all the monitored temperatures were in order.

To check what was wrong I had to disassemble the laptop yet again. First thing was that the heatsink I was writing earlier was incredibly hot. It is placed below the touchpad but on the other side. I discovered that the ribbon cable (JI-HAW AWM E118077 2896 80C VW-1) connecting the touchpad with the motherboard was burned (few strands were burned and broken) I cleaned some white residue from the motherboard where the cables were resting on and I can say that there is no visible damage on the motherboard.

Finally, I took the motherboard out again and I unscrewed the heatsink to check if there is some damage to the chip below but the chip and the soft plaster I mentioned before and everything around on that side of motherboard is intact. I think it perhaps is completely unrelated to the problem but I write about it because it is in that area where the temperature was very hot.

I don’t know what is at fault, maybe I just incorrectly connected the touchpad to the motherboard, didn’t pushed the connectors all the way in to the socked, I have no idea. I am hoping that you would be able to advise me or at least speculate what could have caused the issue and what are the next steps to fix it?

Should I just buy new JI-HAW AWM E118077 2896 80C VW-1 cable (I actually found one on eBay) and try to connect the touch pad again, or maybe connect everything again and see what happens as I did on the beginning when I forgot to connect the touchpad. I am asking those questions because I don’t want to start a fire and I am hoping to fix the problem and continue using the computer normally.

I will greatly appreciate any assistance.

OIP.vdLaOJd7n6yRV40Id2y4sgHaE6

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom